Type 1'stars R Us

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also take a childish delight in responding to questions in general sub forums politely (I hope) reminding the readers this is a Diabetes forum not a lchf type 2 forum.

Lol, Helen, but we should never lose sight of the fact that many of the commentators have huge experience of being T1 or T2 for, erm, about a year or so.

After doing my way of being T1 for three decades, I'm always totally convinced by keto fans telling me I should never eat a panini ever again..

Reactions: porl69

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also take a childish delight in responding to questions in general sub forums politely (I hope) reminding the readers this is a Diabetes forum not a lchf type 2 forum.

Yes I noticed this and agree. It is so important for newly diagnosed type 1s to understand that we have choices. As I am always saying, if it was just about food this disease would be easy to crack. There are so many other variables that affect levels.

Reactions: porl69

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like low carb as you know, it makes my own personal body easier to run - but if you can make carbs work, then there’s no problem. We’re not metabolically compromised in the same way; we have major organ failure. I rarely venture outside this thread now, unless I’m tagged for something specific. It’s a shame. But when the response to a post about veggie meat substitutes is a thread full of pictures of meat, it’s time to bow out.

I went and had a look over there. I shall retreat back to this t1d subforum, which is at least mostly sensible.

Post edited by moderator for breach of forum rules A1 and A2

Last edited by a moderator:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning everyone,
I've only had T1 for 1 yr 7months and wouldn't dream of commenting on anyone's food. My approach to eating is more flexible now than at the start because I misguidedly thought anything carb was going to kill me.... now I know too much of it just gives me a pain

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all! A most splendid mini lie-in (to all of 6.45 a.m.) and after the disruption of the last two days, bloods all good again.

I had a good reminder of how dreadful I really felt in the months of running high teens/early twenties pre-LADA diagnosis after completely mis-guessing how much insulin to take for the breaded colcannon veggie burgers on offer at lunch yesterday when I saw the highest number my meter has ever seen since those days. Still, a two hours walk home, bit more insulin, and I'm happy. They were jolly nice burgers too, but maybe twice the insulin next time, especially if I'm going to have the fruit scone, jam and cream-substitute afterward! Not sure who enjoyed their scones more, me or the students. We did all have to go and wash faces and hands when we'd finished before returning to the last of the afternoon work.

Which may or may not have included a riotous cushion fight....

Reactions: Robinredbreast
K

Knikki

Yyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnn Hmmmm could do with a 'yawn' icon.

Anyway,

Morning, according to Etch A Sketch manage to nudge just over 11 last night, guess that was the rice and fish cakes but now down to the 7.0 mark so not bad.

I need to go to the gym BUT my CBA gene is working overtime, plus it's wet, windy and looks cold it there.

Yeah I know "first world problem" :hilarious:

On a side note my relationship with tech and software has not improved one iota over the last week :banghead::rolleyes::***::hilarious:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all, a lie in until almost 8am! Bladder alarm clock woke me up...

Popped a new sensor on last night, the Libre app is reading Lo this morning. MiaoMiao is still on the old one doing the extra 12 hours, I’ll swap it over shortly and see how the new one behaves. I didn’t put the new one on early enough to soak for the usual 24 hours, as I’d forgotten I now replace them on Fridays rather than Saturday after one failed. Woke to a steady 4.6.

Quiet day today, got to engrave and solder a copper bangle in the shed but that’s it. Hope you all have a lovely one, I’m just off to see what the notifications from the veganosm thread are...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnn Hmmmm could do with a 'yawn' icon.

Anyway,

Morning, according to Etch A Sketch manage to nudge just over 11 last night, guess that was the rice and fish cakes but now down to the 7.0 mark so not bad.

I need to go to the gym BUT my CBA gene is working overtime, plus it's wet, windy and looks cold it there.

Yeah I know "first world problem" :hilarious:

On a side note my relationship with tech and software has not improved one iota over the last week :banghead::rolleyes::***::hilarious:

I'm the same. I have purchased a new phone, a Sony Xperia, my old phone was 2nd hand, a Samsung mini galaxy, which was fine, but I thought I would treat myself.......... could I work out how to open it and get into the back to put the sim card in, NO. So I looked online and eventually did it. But, as soon as I showed my daughter my new phone, she was looking at it and then said, "there, I've connected it to wifi now" !
I just meekly said "thanks" and felt like a 4 year old starting school, she was the teacher and me the pupil:wideyed: :rolleyes::D

Good morning:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning all, a lie in until almost 8am! Bladder alarm clock woke me up...

Popped a new sensor on last night, the Libre app is reading Lo this morning. MiaoMiao is still on the old one doing the extra 12 hours, I’ll swap it over shortly and see how the new one behaves. I didn’t put the new one on early enough to soak for the usual 24 hours, as I’d forgotten I now replace them on Fridays rather than Saturday after one failed. Woke to a steady 4.6.

Quiet day today, got to engrave and solder a copper bangle in the shed but that’s it. Hope you all have a lovely one, I’m just off to see what the notifications from the veganosm thread are...

Have a good day Mel, I bet the copper bangle will look top banana:)

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I went and had a look over there. I shall retreat back to this t1d subforum, which is at least mostly sensible.

With a little bit of Looney tunes thrown in now and again o_O to take one's mind off........................diabetes:) :happy:

Mod edit of previously edited quoted post

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to keep my head down because I average between 100 - 130g per day - some days more some days less. However I do ‘pipe up’ occasionally so that new posters can realise that you don’t have to be ultra low carb to control your BS. Love popcorn - sweet and salty particularly. Used to love dates but have not had any since being diagnosed because I know I’ll probably eat too many however I may pluck up courage one day and test a couple.

Reactions: hh1 and Diakat
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning all and wishing you a Happy Saturday, despite the blustery, cold, wet and dark weather outside :rolleyes:

Reactions: karen8967

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are also T2s on insulin for whom, like T1s, ultra low carb is either inadvisable or unnecessary. We all know that, as individuals, food affects us differently - I had, and tested, a jacket potato the other day and surprisingly my BS only rose by only 2.00 points after 2 hours but was down to only 1.5 increase after 3 hours so I may have it again however scampi is still my nemesis so I don’t eat it anymore - rather have a nice piece of fish anyway!!

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I'm the same. I have purchased a new phone, a Sony Xperia, my old phone was 2nd hand, a Samsung mini galaxy, which was fine, but I thought I would treat myself.......... could I work out how to open it and get into the back to put the sim card in, NO. So I looked online and eventually did it. But, as soon as I showed my daughter my new phone, she was looking at it and then said, "there, I've connected it to wifi now" !
I just meekly said "thanks" and felt like a 4 year old starting school, she was the teacher and me the pupil:wideyed: :rolleyes::D

Good morning:)
I have always advocated that any technology purchased should come with a small child attached......:).....good morning......:)....hope everyone has a good day.....

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That’s why I tend to keep my head down because I average between 100 - 130g per day - some days more some days less.

I think that the main problem is that many low carbers just don't understand that "your diabetes may vary", particularly so between T1 and T2, the biology is different. I've found that a baked potato actually stabilises and levels out my bg for several hours, but low carbers deride it cos it's carbs, end of.

Unfortunately, the overwhelming emphasis on low carbs has definitely misled newly dx'd T1s into needlessly cutting out enjoyable foods which are totally manageable with a basic understanding of ratios and pre-bolus timing.

Laura Marston, who advocates for cheaper insulin in America, got some attention on a few recent threads after her BBC article, so it's an opportune time to re-visit her and others telling Tim Noakes where to go:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ProfTimNoakes/status/1030755651356635138

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ehaviour-affect-the-low-carb-movement.155442/

Screenshot_2019-03-16-08-52-04.png

Screenshot_2019-03-15-12-52-33.png

Post edited by moderator for breach of forum rule A3

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Used to love dates but have not had any since being diagnosed

Whoah, steady! Even as a non-low carber, dates are full-on - I sometimes use them as a hypo treatment!

I'm surprised that fresh figs don't get mentioned much. My local Sainsbury does them, they're only about 10g per 100g, mainly made out of water, but the colours and texture are totally lush, things which low carbers often lose sight of, the simple pleasures of life.

Reactions: SueJB and porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning all. Still nothing on my MM/xdrip....going to uninstall then reinstall later on.

Reactions: Robinredbreast