Family putting me down because I’m now diabetic

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so upset, on my mums side of the family and my friends are very supportive and have been there for me and helping me with my goals....However my dads side of the family is a different story!, bearing in mind that my grandad, nan, dad, aunties and uncles all on that side are type 2 diabetic!, 2 are on insulin and the rest are on other medication, they NEVER watch what they eat, they have wine choc, sweets, takeaways, chips all the time!....

So I told them about my diagnosis, and they said ‘what did we tell you, we said you’d end up like this if you didn’t sort yourself out’, they also said I’ll have to be on medication for the rest of my life and it will continue to get worse all my life....they wernt supportive at all, I said I don’t need medication and they was like ‘you’ll end up dead if you don’t’....I went home crying!

In these 5 weeks where my doctor said I might of had it (been diagnosed properly a week ago) I have lost a stone! And gosh I was so happy with my self, my glucose levels were coming down as I check everyday and after eating......
My nanna on my mums side, said to ignore them and that it’s only progressive if you don’t look after yourself....which I have been and I know I’m trying to better my self as unlike my family who have it I don’t scoff takeaways and sweets all the time, yeah maybe it was my fault I got like this but I had severe anxiety and an eating disorder as a teenager and only just started to get help with that

Reactions: Freema and DJC3

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I am so upset, on my mums side of the family and my friends are very supportive and have been there for me and helping me with my goals....However my dads side of the family is a different story!, bearing in mind that my grandad, nan, dad, aunties and uncles all on that side are type 2 diabetic!, 2 are on insulin and the rest are on other medication, they NEVER watch what they eat, they have wine choc, sweets, takeaways, chips all the time!....

So I told them about my diagnosis, and they said ‘what did we tell you, we said you’d end up like this if you didn’t sort yourself out’, they also said I’ll have to be on medication for the rest of my life and it will continue to get worse all my life....they wernt supportive at all, I said I don’t need medication and they was like ‘you’ll end up dead if you don’t’....I went home crying!

In these 5 weeks where my doctor said I might of had it (been diagnosed properly a week ago) I have lost a stone! And gosh I was so happy with my self, my glucose levels were coming down as I check everyday and after eating......
My nanna on my mums side, said to ignore them and that it’s only progressive if you don’t look after yourself....which I have been and I know I’m trying to better my self as unlike my family who have it I don’t scoff takeaways and sweets all the time, yeah maybe it was my fault I got like this but I had severe anxiety and an eating disorder as a teenager and only just started to get help with that

I know it’s hard but I think a lot of people face that. Try to ignore them and plod on with what you’re doing and that will show them!

Reactions: 1spuds

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
None of use choose to be diabetic, we can choose how to deal with it though. Sounds like you are going to show that side of the family what can be done.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mollyc1995 the short, medium and long term you are the most important person to you when dealing with T2. To have lost that amount of weight and to be able to feel good about yourself is just great all round. I know it's hard but keep on what you are doing, chat to your mother's nan, and us.
Good on you.
Wish you well.
:)

Reactions: gemma_T1 and Freema

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
You are doing extremely well, try not to listen to them.
Glad you have support for your anxiety and eating disorder.
Take care

Reactions: Freema and zand

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your nanna sounds like a wise woman, believe her and read all the inspirational success stories on this site.
You’re doing absolutely the right things and you’ve done brilliantly so far to have lost a stone already and reduced your blood glucose levels in such a short time. Keep at it and take no notice of the unsupportive family members. Give your nanna a hug.

Reactions: gemma_T1 and Freema

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Molly1995, you are doing really well. keep on looking after yourself.
Best wishes Liz

Reactions: jjraak

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
.However my dads side of the family is a different story!, bearing in mind that my grandad, nan, dad, aunties and uncles all on that side are type 2 diabetic!,

Perhaps they need reminding that genetics are a huge factor in becoming diabetic. It sounds like yours could well be genetic with all those close relatives having succumbed, and that is not your fault.

Take some deep breaths, do all you can to get your T2 into remission like many on here have done, and show them how they should have done it. Be proud you are being proactive enough to help yourself without their support. You don't need that kind of support.

Reactions: Freema

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I have lost a stone! And gosh I was so happy with my self, my glucose levels were coming down as I check everyday and after eating......

Take that and what your Nanna said, you are bettering yourself for a brighter future. Sure you have something to keep check on but isn't that a good thing? You can keep yourself in line and keep yourself going and there is always going to be people here to cheer you on. Heck I'm proud of you here because you've done so much good for yourself, I suffered with bipolar disorder and a binge eating problem till now too and with all this? I'm a hell of a lot better.

A line from one of my favourite songs is appropriate:

"Try walking in my shoes
You'll stumble in my footsteps
Keep the same appointments I kept"

You are the one walking this path, along with so many others and you should do what is right for you.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Chin up @Mollyc1995 You have done really well in a very short time. You are a winner. You have taken steps to do more than control the situation but to start treating it for yourself. You should be proud of yourself, if your doctor has not yet put you on medication then you don't need it and if you are monitoring your bg levels and eating what suits your body then you are taking responsible actions to improve your health. Your Nanna sounds as if she probably knows more about diabetes than most people so give her a hug.
The other side of the family may be more difficult to chat over any current problems but they are still important if only as a motivator. It may be that in spite of your best efforts the diabetes does progress but you will know that you have given it your best shot and at least slowed the progression. The difficulty is when you go to see them, so take a snack with you some pork scratchings or cheese to eat instead of biscuits and cake. They will soon get the message that you are changing the way you eat. Your teen years are behind you, the future calls so make it as exciting as you dare!

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chin up @Mollyc1995 You have done really well in a very short time. You are a winner. You have taken steps to do more than control the situation but to start treating it for yourself. You should be proud of yourself, if your doctor has not yet put you on medication then you don't need it and if you are monitoring your bg levels and eating what suits your body then you are taking responsible actions to improve your health. Your Nanna sounds as if she probably knows more about diabetes than most people so give her a hug.
The other side of the family may be more difficult to chat over any current problems but they are still important if only as a motivator. It may be that in spite of your best efforts the diabetes does progress but you will know that you have given it your best shot and at least slowed the progression. The difficulty is when you go to see them, so take a snack with you some pork scratchings or cheese to eat instead of biscuits and cake. They will soon get the message that you are changing the way you eat. Your teen years are behind you, the future calls so make it as exciting as you dare!
Thank you for your helpful words!, do you know how likely it could be that it will progress to get worse?, I have quite a bit of weight to lose and I read that people who keep the weight off and eat right are very unlikely to see any worse results

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Take that and what your Nanna said, you are bettering yourself for a brighter future. Sure you have something to keep check on but isn't that a good thing? You can keep yourself in line and keep yourself going and there is always going to be people here to cheer you on. Heck I'm proud of you here because you've done so much good for yourself, I suffered with bipolar disorder and a binge eating problem till now too and with all this? I'm a hell of a lot better.

A line from one of my favourite songs is appropriate:

"Try walking in my shoes
You'll stumble in my footsteps
Keep the same appointments I kept"

You are the one walking this path, along with so many others and you should do what is right for you.
Thanks so much! I just trying to ignore the negativity I got, if they want to knacker their bodies even more then that’s up to them

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your helpful words!, do you know how likely it could be that it will progress to get worse?, I have quite a bit of weight to lose and I read that people who keep the weight off and eat right are very unlikely to see any worse results
If you keep to low carb foods so that you have normal Hba1c and blood glucose, you should not see any problems - with any luck, anyway. It is what I did, and it is difficult to even attract attention from the drs and nurses at the clinic.
By sticking to low carb I lost weight without trying just as a bonus.
Gaining weight is reportedly part of the run up to full blown diabetes for many, so when my BG levels dropped to normal my metabolism got going again and suddenly my clothes were - literally - dropping off me.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Thanks so much! I just trying to ignore the negativity I got, if they want to knacker their bodies even more then that’s up to them

In the end that is their choice and you are making the right one, they're just putting themselves onto the express train to issues but you? You're finding just what kind of person you can be and that is wonderful. It's something everyone on here helped me to realise when I came here looking for help. Everyone gets health issues in the end but right now you're building the walls of the fort ready for that siege so you can weather it, not opening the door and welcoming them in, you know? Giving yourself the best chance at avoiding complications than giving up is always the best way!

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you keep to low carb foods so that you have normal Hba1c and blood glucose, you should not see any problems - with any luck, anyway. It is what I did, and it is difficult to even attract attention from the drs and nurses at the clinic.
By sticking to low carb I lost weight without trying just as a bonus.
Gaining weight is reportedly part of the run up to full blown diabetes for many, so when my BG levels dropped to normal my metabolism got going again and suddenly my clothes were - literally - dropping off me.
Thankyou, I have been tracking my carbs, at the moment I have around 100-130 grams which to some may be high but I get no spikes after eating which is great, however I know to go lower if I see it does t work anymore

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the end that is their choice and you are making the right one, they're just putting themselves onto the express train to issues but you? You're finding just what kind of person you can be and that is wonderful. It's something everyone on here helped me to realise when I came here looking for help. Everyone gets health issues in the end but right now you're building the walls of the fort ready for that siege so you can weather it, not opening the door and welcoming them in, you know? Giving yourself the best chance at avoiding complications than giving up is always the best way!
Your right!!, I love everyone on here, so much help and support it’s great we all have each other

Reactions: hankjam and Freema

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mollyc1995 , sometimes people say things, in an inappropriate way when they're a bit surprised and shocked. It could also be that they really detest being diagnosed with diabetes themselves and they're frustrated you will end up as they have? Maybe that's what happened.

Anyway, as others have said, you have a plan and it's best if you stick to it, as that's what you believe in. In your shoes, I'd be setting out to prove them wrong, and to be the best I could be, but then I'm a competitive old girl!

Families can be tricky to say the least, but just take it steady and listen to your Nana. She sounds like a wise woman.