Feeling demoralised

Wishman

Hi everyone, 1st ever post. Diagnosed T2 August last year. HbA1c of 49. Very overweight. Through diet and exercise lost 2.5 stone and reduced HbA1c to 41 by end November. Now at end of March lost another 2 stone, fitter than I have ever been but HbA1c only down 1 more point to 40. Cholesterol was 5.8, reduced through statins to 4.0 but now up to 4.5 (though took a 3-week break from statins due to side effects). Also on Letrozole following breast cancer treatment.
Had just hoped that all my effort would have shown a better gain in the last 4 months so feeling a bit down about it all. Any advice? Thanks!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We all get a bit down now and again for instance I've put about 4 /5 pounds on since xmas and I'm annoyed with myself, but 4.5 stone lost is nothing to to be down about AND you're no longer in the diabetic range. personally I think you should give yourself a big pat on the back ( and a large slice of cake, joking). I was diagnosed 2 years ago, I now find my fasting BS hovers around 5 no matter what ( 4.8 this morning after a full sunday lunch yesterday ) , this time last year it rarely got below 6, it takes time, you're doing great. Big thumbs up from me

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, I think you should be pleased by your hbA1C. You're actually not even at prediabetic levels now, so other than your cholesterol levels (and maybe not even them, don't know what your LDL/HDL ratio is), you sound like you're doing brilliantly. You've lost lots of weight too. Just keep doing whatever you're doing now and you'll be fine. Congratulations.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Wishman and welcome to the forum. In case you haven’t seen it yet I’ll tag in @daisy1 for her useful info post.
Very well done on getting your HbA1c down to the non diabetic range!
With regard to cholesterol levels, they do rise with weight loss but should even out once your weight has stabilised. Also it would be helpful to get a breakdown of the cholesterol numbers. My total is 6.4, however having seen my breakdown, my ratios are actually ok, so I have declined Statins.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Wishman I don't think you should feel down. You have reduced your HbA1c to non-diabetic levels. Your weight loss is excellent, and your cholesterol is good.
I felt a bit down when weight and HbA1c started creeping up again, but now I accept it as what it is. I'm having another go at reducing my weight again and I hope my next HbA1c due in October will be lower as a result. But as long as it's not in the diabetic range I will be happy.
Well done on what you have achieved.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Hi

4.5 stone down and your hba1c heading the right way, that's fantastic. Yes there are probably more things we can all do to help ourselves be perfect* but what you have done so far should not be underestimated in any way and building on what you have done will give you a long term health.

It's ok to review where you are, looking back to see what amazing things you have achieved will help you set sustainable goals.

*perfect is a goal which unicorns can achieve, be a unicorn!

M

Member496333

As others have said, you seem to have done a great job, so no need to feel demoralised. Point of note though regarding the HbA1c - some say that statins increase blood glucose. Personally I have no experience in that area but it’s my understanding that statins can often exacerbate diabetes or even cause it. Something to think about.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Wishman
Hello Wishman and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it both interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, 1st ever post. Diagnosed T2 August last year. HbA1c of 49. Very overweight. Through diet and exercise lost 2.5 stone and reduced HbA1c to 41 by end November. Now at end of March lost another 2 stone, fitter than I have ever been but HbA1c only down 1 more point to 40. Cholesterol was 5.8, reduced through statins to 4.0 but now up to 4.5 (though took a 3-week break from statins due to side effects). Also on Letrozole following breast cancer treatment.
Had just hoped that all my effort would have shown a better gain in the last 4 months so feeling a bit down about it all. Any advice? Thanks!

Hi Wishman, now I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but what on EARTH are you on about? In 8 short months you have lost over 4 stones and reduced your A1c by nearly 10 points?? That is surely a resounding success in anybody's book? You have done a fantastic job. Keep at it, I think there is a stage for all of us when your body decides it's going to fight back and seems determined to hold on to what it has been used to! It's a blip, power through and in another 3 months you will be back on here showing us all up. x

Wishman

Thanks so much to everyone for your positive words, and of course you are right, I should focus on the bigger picture. I am very pleased with my weight loss. I think that after reducing my HbA1c by 8 in the 1st 3 months I has just geared myself up to a similar decline in the next 4 hence my disappointment at just going down by 1! But yes, SO happy to be in the non-diabetic range, I was in actual tears when I got my 41 result :)

My cholesterol isn't great I don't think, when it was at 4.0, my HDL was 1.0 and LDL was 2.7. Didn't get the breakdown for the latest result. I would very much prefer to be off statins, especially as they may raise blood sugar levels but looks like I might need to stay on them. Will discuss with my nurseon Wednesday.

I didn't know cholesterol could increase as you lose weight so that's interesting.

Thanks so much again for your support, it's been really helpful and cheering.