Metformin as a non-diabetic.

dopester198

I am 31 a non-diabetic and began taking 500mg SR Metformin for longevity purposes 6 days ago after hearing Dr. David Sinclair talk about it's benefits and doing a lot of my own research. Not interested what people think about this and their judgements on it (it is what it is, and is my choice) but I wanted to get a little advice from people if possible.

I’m very athletic, have low body fat and train every day (martial arts). It’s pretty taxing on the body but I’ve been doing it years and am pretty used to it so never usually ache more than a day even after I’ve trained hard.

However since taking the metformin I’ve noticed I’m a lot more achey and didn’t feel as strong when I have trained lately. Sometimes I go through periods like this and rest a little and I’m okay again. But I can’t help thinking it’s no coincidence. I've also developed flu like symptoms over the past couple of days, which I think are related also.

When researching, I'd read about the possibility of increased lactic acidosis on the medication and didn't know if this was anything to do with it.

My question is will these increased aches/decreased athletic performance subside after I acclimate to the medicine? I read that side effects should go away with time, but if not I'll just stop taking it as my performance athletically is more important to me than the possible longevity benefits of Metformin.

Any advice also very welcome and thanks.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was put on Metformin plus a statin I had physical and mental problems which I would not wish on anyone.
Do be aware that once I stopped taking the tablets as life was unbearable, it took a long time to recover and I resorted to all sorts of vitamins and minerals and just about anything I could think of to try to help.
The ache in one leg was there almost two years and the muscle is still weak.
The tablets are regarded as safe and benign because reports of problems can't be reported if there are two medications involved, and there is a reluctance - I was pushed to go back on the tablets at each nurse appointment until I insisted that some note be made of the effects they had.

dopester198

Thanks for the response. That sounds quite scary.

I’m assuming though that you were put onto those due to health issues in the first place?

Do you think those were anything to do with the adverse effects coming off of them?

As mentioned in my original post I’m really healthy and am taking it for greater longevity purposes, and so I’m not sure if that would happen with me.

Although it’s not really accepted by the medical community as a whole yet I thought I’d try it as there’s growing research.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I ask if you have researched how Metformin works to aid insulin resistance? While Met is considered a mild, safe drug no one is 100% sure on just how it works to do what it does. Just a note of caution, long term use of Met has been shown to cause malabsorption of vitB12 which is vital for nerve health.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just to add. Read up on the small number of long term users whose risk of lactic acidosis means withdrawal from Met use.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 31 a non-diabetic and began taking 500mg SR Metformin for longevity purposes 6 days ago after hearing Dr. David Sinclair talk about it's benefits and doing a lot of my own research. Not interested what people think about this and their judgements on it (it is what it is, and is my choice) but I wanted to get a little advice from people if possible.

I’m very athletic, have low body fat and train every day (martial arts). It’s pretty taxing on the body but I’ve been doing it years and am pretty used to it so never usually ache more than a day even after I’ve trained hard.

However since taking the metformin I’ve noticed I’m a lot more achey and didn’t feel as strong when I have trained lately. Sometimes I go through periods like this and rest a little and I’m okay again. But I can’t help thinking it’s no coincidence. I've also developed flu like symptoms over the past couple of days, which I think are related also.

When researching, I'd read about the possibility of increased lactic acidosis on the medication and didn't know if this was anything to do with it.

My question is will these increased aches/decreased athletic performance subside after I acclimate to the medicine? I read that side effects should go away with time, but if not I'll just stop taking it as my performance athletically is more important to me than the possible longevity benefits of Metformin.

Any advice also very welcome and thanks.

Has your doctor prescribed Metformin for you, or have you acquired it from, say, the internet?

Reactions: Guzzler

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Brunneria

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to add. Read up on the small number of long term users whose risk of lactic acidosis means withdrawal from Met use.
Also the risk of lactic acidosis is higher if you drink alcohol.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's right, yeah I got it from an online pharmacy

To be honest, in that case, in the absence of an auditable supply chain, to the manufacturer and their formula, we can't even be certain of the quality of what you are taking. Unfortunately whilst I understand there are very good online pharmacies, there are also lots of counterfeit drugs too.

Of course how you are feeling should be discussed with your doctor.

We could speculate all day why you feel as you do; from a reaction to the active ingredients in what you are taking, to a reaction to the formula fillers, to a reaction to anything else you might be taking, whether over the counter or prescribed, to something totally unrelated.

Stopping your Metformin, and see what happens to these symptoms could be informative.

Neither I nor anyone else on this site can advise you on your medication, but I will remind you that buying off-grid brings additional, and sometimes unforeseen risks, and you are currently experiencing that. A healthy body is a very precious commodity. Please don't take unnecessary risks with your health.

If your Doctor felt there could be benefits for you using Metformin he could prescribe it. If that was in a way, that is lega, but not usually supported on the NHS, he could potentially provide a,private prescription. Metformin is not an expensive drug, as you have probably discovered.

Please seek medical advice on your health.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How much have you read about the way Metformin works?
Basically, it works on the liver to reduce the amount of glucose it produces (among other things). People with normal blood glucose regulation need this glucose to keep them alive when there is insufficient glucose from diet in the body, which happens every night and other periods of fasting. The higher the dose, the more this will happen. Have you taken this on board? What dose are you taking?