Lada

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only heard of this LADA diabetes today and wondering the treatment n diagnosis? Does a patient be put on insulin straight away?

Also I get told that I'm type 1 and inject on meals and sometimes snacks...while a patient on type 2 can't do that..so I'm better off with type 1!! I dint really know what answer to give

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've only heard of this LADA diabetes today and wondering the treatment n diagnosis? Does a patient be put on insulin straight away?

I think it depends. The progression is slower than traditional T1 so you don't always have to go on insulin immediately. (Plus, obviously, it depends on how early in the process you're diagnosed).

Also I get told that I'm type 1 and inject on meals and sometimes snacks...while a patient on type 2 can't do that..so I'm better off with type 1!! I dint really know what answer to give

Well, I actually sometimes agree on that (T1 here). It seems that some T2s who are rigorous about their diet can achieve normal blood sugars without medication, but then there's nothing they can do if they want to have an occasional high or medium carb snack. And if their blood sugars go high, there's nothing they can do to correct this. As a T1 I have more food options but I'm stuck with injections and numerous blood tests. (And hypos, which I really really really hate.) But T1 and T2 are different illnesses, with some of the same symptoms. There's no real point in playing the "one is worse than the other" game. Given the choice, none of us would have either. (Though as I age I have plenty of friends with illnesses that make me glad to be T1 rather than have their particular illness).

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
HI @Saeeda,
Perhaps if you go to the Home page and type LADA in the Search box right upper corner you will find
very useful information on LADA.
After reading that you may or may not have further questions !!??
And just to answer your last sentence - some T2Ds I know have reached the stage where they need insulin - not all and
some may have options to not reach that stage (but might need their doctors to educate themselves further)!!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think that T1's inject insulin to bring their insulin up to normal levels as they don't produce any themselves, T2's however are mostly adding insulin to what they have produced so in general taking their insulin level way above normal levels that is of course if their pancreas hasn't been stressed to the point of no longer being able to produce insulin.

As to which is the lesser of two evils or if you can even make that differentiation I have no idea.

M

Member496333

I would take T2 over T1 any day of the week. In my view, the majority of insulin resistant diabetes cases can be fixed/cured/eliminated/reversed or otherwise nuked from orbit using knowledge and determination. Autoimmune diabetes will always require basal insulin injections in order to maintain safe glucose concentrations, whereas those with a functional pancreas should be able to maintain natural glucose homeostasis through dietary strategy (often aided by exercise). On the other side of the coin, autoimmune diabetics are [usually] able to eat “normally” and counter the glucose response with injections. But to me, this is only an advantage if you consider “normal” to be optimal, and actually miss the things that gave you insulin resistant diabetes, which I don’t.

In summary, autoimmune is currently a lifelong condition that will always require medication in order to stay alive, whereas resistant diabetes merely requires commitment and motivation in order to stay alive. Most would say they’d prefer neither, but I personally I am genuinely glad that I developed T2DM as it has made me a far better human being in every objective and subjective metric.

Edited to add: Apologies for rambling on somewhat outside the scope of the topic.

Reactions: Saeeda

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As another poster has said, LADA can take months/years to progress so insulin my not be needed immediately and some tablets may delay the need for insulin. I've been down that route before insulin became essential. I would rather be on Basal/Bolus insulin and be able to eat fairly freely but keeping the carbs down rather than the struggle I had on all the tablets as a mis-diagnosed 'T2' and not being able to eat almost any carbs.

Reactions: Saeeda

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In my view, the majority of insulin resistant diabetes cases can be fixed/cured/eliminated/reversed or otherwise nuked from orbit using knowledge and determination.
I agree especially with the as you say majority of T2's but of course that does not mean all.

Those whose pancreas is beyond rejuvenation and for some who cannot seem to bring about remission no matter how hard they try and there are who have other types of diabetes are stuck with it for life.

And of course how you perceive your particular form of diabetes is a highly subjective matter and as such will be different between individuals.

So certainties are not a thing I am at ease with.

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LADA
My sister today was told today she is /has LADA diabetes. Me being type 1 am similar to her now except she hassa been told she has to start her insulin from tomorrow- morning and evening. I thought she’d be told to take insulin like type 1. Basal/bolus