I HAVE diabetes. I'm not a diabetic.

Chrispp

My wife has had Type 1 diabetes for 11 years, she accepted that she had diabetes and has a next to no problems over the years. But she's never considered herself 'A Diabetic'
I was diagnosed as having tyoe 2 diabetes last year, being diagnosed with and having a condition I can live with. But I'm still me! I'm not a diabetic :D
If I had a tumour would I be a Cancer? If I had a lower limb fracture would I be a Broken Leg? I think not! Some people seem to wear diabetes as a badge of honour and something to parade and be proud of. Sorry, diabetes is a pain, something to treat, respect and live with. But the attitude that those with diabetes are 'Diabetics' is a very annoying term used by medico's and many who live with diabetes.
The medical profession needs to change the way it sees and treats diabetes patients, cut the BS, tell the truth and treat the condition. No little tricks, just straight questions and facts.

Margi

It's an interesting viewpoint and one that many people take nowadays. I guess the argument hinges on the definition of words though. For me the term 'diabetic' is simply a short way of saying a 'person who has diabetes', I have never seen it as a descriptor of me as a person, and it has always confused me as to why people do. I'm not saying your view is not perfectly valid and to be respected, just that there are different ways of looking at things. And I have had diabetes for thirty-six years. As I think about it, it occurs to me that I am quite happy to be referred to as 'diabetic' but not as 'a diabetic'. The latter does sound as if it defines the person, the former is simply descriptive of the condition. I hadn't really thought about it before. Funny how you realise things when you write them down.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum :) I understand what you are saying and there are a lot of people on this forum who agree with you - we had a thread about this a little while ago. There will probably be a lot of replies to this thread in due course. Everyone is a person first regardless of what problem they may have.

As you are new to the forum I am sending you the basic information we give to new members and hope that, although you both have experience in managing diabetes, that you will find something in here that might be useful to you. This was written by friends Ken and Sue, our extremely knowledgeable former monitors. Just to warn you though - it does contain the word "diabetic" but you'll just have to bear with us :) Ask as many questions as you like about whatever you like and there will always be someone who will gladly answer you.

Here is the advice that Ken and I, as Forum Monitors, usually give to newly diagnosed Diabetics. We hope that these few ideas gained through experience help you to gain control and give you some understanding of Diabetes. This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

For more information on CARBOHYDRATE see here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20306

This is NOT a low carb diet suggestion, just a reduction in your intake of carbohydrate. You have to decide yourself how much of a reduction will keep your blood glucose levels in control.

The main carbs to avoid OR reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, starchy root veg and also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

If you are on Insulin you may find that reducing the carb intake also means that you can reduce your dose of insulin. This can help you to keep weight gain down as Insulin tends to make you put on weight and eventually cause insulin resistance. This should be done slowly so as not to cause hypos.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating, then two hours after eating, you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels. Some foods, which are slow acting carbohydrates, are absorbed more slowly so you may need to test three or even four hours later to see the effect that these have on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try!!

For TIPS FOR STRIPS see here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19002#p173253

If you are an Insulin user in theory you should have no problem getting test strips.

The latest 2011 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking and before meals).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l...(Type 1 & 2)
2 hrs after meals........................no more than 8.5 mmol/l.....( Type 2)

2hrs after meals......................... no more than 9 mmol/l ......(Type 1)

If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do at least 30 minutes moderate exercise a day, it can be split into 10 min sessions to start with. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

The above is just general advice and it is recommended that you discuss with your HCP before making any changes. You can also ask questions on the forum on anything that is not clear.

Finally a few QUESTIONS TO ASK AT DIABETES CLINIC.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17091

Sue/Ken.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Chrispp and welcome to the forum, whether you have diabetes or are diabetic is just semantics, surely the question should be 'do we have well controlled diabetes or are we well controlled diabetics?' :D

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't like the term 'diabetic' but there are times where it is necesary to use it, when I mention to people like employers or insurance companies about my condition I just say I have type 1 diabetes.

Nigel

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Isn't the word diabetic/s just a short way of saying "diabetes sufferers" or "diabetes patients"?

I don't wear it as a badge of honor but I use the word diabetic to describe my illness for the simple fact that most people know or heard of diabetic/s. When I do use the word "diabetes" some even ask if that is the same as diabetic. Not everyone is aware of diabetes and most who have heard of it don't have a clue what it is.

As far as I am concerned it's just a word and do not find it insulting or even wrong in the slightest.

slimtony

Welcome to the forum, Chrispp.

I think that Sid's post has it spot on. Pragmatism should always win the day and we shouldn't let the English language get in the way of good diabetic control.

Otherwise we could end up arguing over whether to call it 'Peripheral neuropathy' or 'Tingly toes'.

All the very best.

Lisa21

Chrispp said:
My wife has had Type 1 diabetes for 11 years, she accepted that she had diabetes and has a next to no problems over the years. But she's never considered herself 'A Diabetic'
I was diagnosed as having tyoe 2 diabetes last year, being diagnosed with and having a condition I can live with. But I'm still me! I'm not a diabetic :D
If I had a tumour would I be a Cancer? If I had a lower limb fracture would I be a Broken Leg? I think not! Some people seem to wear diabetes as a badge of honour and something to parade and be proud of. Sorry, diabetes is a pain, something to treat, respect and live with. But the attitude that those with diabetes are 'Diabetics' is a very annoying term used by medico's and many who live with diabetes.
The medical profession needs to change the way it sees and treats diabetes patients, cut the BS, tell the truth and treat the condition. No little tricks, just straight questions and facts.

I studied diabetes at University and whenever we had to write an essay on the condition we were always told to put the person first. This meant that we were never allowed to use the word "diabetic" and instead had to put "patients with diabetes" (or something along those lines). Use of the word "sufferer" was frowned upon too!

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Ooooh, 'sufferer' is a really really bad term. Unless your saying diabetes is suffering from me because i am kicking it's ass!!! :lol:

sugar2

ebony321 said:
Ooooh, 'sufferer' is a really really bad term. Unless your saying diabetes is suffering from me because i am kicking it's ass!!! :lol:
:lol: I like your attitude.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
sugar2 said:
ebony321 said:
:lol: I like your attitude.

Me too.
But alas there are those who do suffer from diabetes or from it's complications. :(

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ebony321 said:

Like it :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, can see what you mean, we are an individual person with a diabetes condition that creates and gives us symptoms, the diabetic is like a label medical term/jargon to discribe our condition. If someone starts to label a person as a diabetic it can leave a person feeling bit devalued? For example if my surgery [theyre wonderful] started to ever say we have anna the diabetic coming in it would hurt my feelings instead of [as they always do] we have anna coming in. Any help? Anna.x

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you HAVE something, that is an idication that you can be rid of it (dare i say, cured?).

If you ARE something, it is an indication that it is never going to change.

Mind games that the HCP's (probably unwittingly) play, so as we don't get our hopes up!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
It doesn't bother me in the slightest which way it is referred to, I am more occupied in learning about it and how to deal with it!

I went to a carer's event the other week. Although well intentioned, the only drinks available (it was a hot day!) were tea, coffee and the boxed fruit juices from Lidls, the ones loaded with sugar.
I said "sorry I can't have these, I'm diabetic" and was given a jug of water..would it have made any difference if I had said "Sorry I can't drink these, I have diabetes"? I don't think it would have and I would have had my jug of water whichever term I chose!

This kind of reminds me of a massive debate on another (non diabetes related forum). It was whether the politically correct label was "someone with learning difficulties or someone with learning disabilities". Personally speaking, I don't think it matters one jot unless you are disadvantaged by a particular term..too much faffing around for my liking.

Reactions: 4 people

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not even really about can or can't haves. It's about choosing NOT to drink the things that you know are bad.

Water is awesome, anyway! :D

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Patch said:
It's not even really about can or can't haves. It's about choosing NOT to drink the things that you know are bad.

Water is awesome, anyway! :D

Now come on Patch..you knew exactly what i was getting at, don't play games and detract from what I was trying to say! :wink: :D

Yes, I agree that water is..well nice but I wouldn't go as far as to say awesome. It was supposed to be a special day for me (carer!) and a little something tasty would have been nice.

Maybe next time.. :lol:

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Usually at family/friends BBQ's people offer me a drink and my reply is 'got anything diet?' and they say 'oh **** i forgot you can't drink 'full fat'' ... But i dont mind water, or watered dwn squash.

I've gotten into the habit of bringing my own sugar free drinks, and sods law when i do people proudly tell me they remembered to get something diet for me :lol: So i hide what i bring and gratefully drink theirs as they made effort to make sure i have something to drink. I haven;t been busted yet though! :wink:

Whatever term you use there will be someone who prefers it, or hates it, and as previous threads have proved, some people really don't mind which!

Some say it's political correctness gone mad, when really it's just trying to please everyone, which i don't think is so bad.

Like when people automatically say 'oh that's well gay' obviously meaning it's stupid or ****. But i'm a lesbian so I could take offence to it, but i don't. But i guess i would prefer if people didn't use the term so lightly and freely, same as diabetes and diabetic. I don't label myself as 'diabetic' i don't really label myself as 'gay' either, i much prefer being called ebony.. or ebs or eb, or as eby as my little sister affectionately calls me.

I like to think i'm funny, maybe smart :lol: and many other things before i'm diabetic!

anyway, water is awesome, someone pass me a glass 'cos it's mighty toasty today! :twisted:

Reactions: 2 people