Type 2 Grapes

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Just seen a Waldorf salad recipe that uses roasted grapes (Jamie Oliver) looks absolutely delicious!

Not helped that I am absolutely starving but can we eat grapes or are they a big no no?

Would have to look at how to get around the dressing bit as that’s bound to be bad.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Grapes are 16g carb per 100g so off my menu but depending on the daily level of carbs you are aiming for a few in a salad may be ok.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love em...but not had since DX.
Sure one or two would be fine..probably,
Just not a skill the greedy grape git inside me, has..sadly.

Reactions: Shas3
D

Deleted Account

We are all different. Some find grapes raise their BG some find them more tolerable.
And, obviously, the number of grapes you eat will affect the amount of carbs so, if you eat one or two, the impact will be less.

So, try them - test, eat, wait two hours, test again.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Not helped that I am absolutely starving but can we eat grapes or are they a big no no?

You could always try them fermented...:)

M

Member496333

Fructose is the ninja assassin in fruit. It doesn’t raise blood glucose directly but it does contribute directly to insulin resistance. Therefore the eat and test fruit model is not a good idea for insulin resistant diabetes, as it tells you little about the factor you should be most concerned with - insulin resistance.

In my opinion.

Reactions: Shas3 and jjraak

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to avoid grapes, along with lots of other fruit, only having a few berries in yoghurt :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well at my last full review with the nurse back in 2018, she told me not to eat raisins but to eat grapes. I will be talking to her about that again in a few weeks. :D

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well at my last full review with the nurse back in 2018, she told me not to eat raisins but to eat grapes. I will be talking to her about that again in a few weeks. :D
I think the point there is that a handful of raisins comes from, and contains the same amount of sugar as, a whole punnet of grapes. I am sure grapes were part of my downfall as I used to eat a lot of them, now I don't eat any.

M

Member496333

Basically anything that tastes really sweet is rich in fructose and should be viewed with caution for those with insulin resistance, irrespective of the immediate glucose response.

Reactions: Shas3 and jjraak

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The issue with grapes really is portions. There is no way I could eat 2 grapes and carry on. I remember in my early days of T2 (when I was under the "fruits are good" belief), I kept popping a few and then some more in a business meeting. I must have had a couple of handfuls by the end of the meeting and my blood sugar had reached 12+ from 7+. Since then, I haven't touched one!!!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the point there is that a handful of raisins comes from, and contains the same amount of sugar as, a whole punnet of grapes. I am sure grapes were part of my downfall as I used to eat a lot of them, now I don't eat any.
I used to eat both. Liberally. I have stopped both since end January 2019.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The issue with grapes really is portions. There is no way I could eat 2 grapes and carry on. I remember in my early days of T2 (when I was under the "fruits are good" belief), I kept popping a few and then some more in a business meeting. I must have had a couple of handfuls by the end of the meeting and my blood sugar had reached 12+ from 7+. Since then, I haven't touched one!!!
When I was a kid, grapes were a luxury item and eating a whole bunch of them wasn’t on as they were to be shared around. Turn the clock forward into adulthood and I was eating grapes and raisins by the bucket load, not realising the consequences.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was a kid, grapes were a luxury item .

Actually when I think back, SO MANY things that we eat (and throw and waste) were such rarities when I was growing up... Yes, It was the 70's and we are talking of small town India but we were still pretty much what would be considered ok-to-do-middle-class. What we used to call "Ice Cream" was flavored ice on a stick... yes, popsicle! And that would be once a year, IF we were nice all year! And that it how I reached my adulthood and had a real ice-cream and rest is history!!

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
When I was a kid, grapes were a luxury item and eating a whole bunch of them wasn’t on as they were to be shared around. Turn the clock forward into adulthood and I was eating grapes and raisins by the bucket load, not realising the consequences.

They are like bg hand grenades for me

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unrelated but yesterday i made the same mistake with coconut water... great drink but QUANTITY ... the bottle was 500 ml... did not pay attention... drank all in a meeting (over an hour) then read the label