Is weightloss really affective (been doing research)

M

Member496333

I believe that is the study which classified 42mmol/mol HbA1c as remission? That is the approximate equivalent of ~7mmol/L average blood glucose. I’d classify that as a number that indicates an inbound diagnosis, rather than remission. But that’s probably drifting somewhat off topic .

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that is the study which classified 42mmol/mol HbA1c as remission? That is the approximate equivalent of ~7mmol/L average blood glucose. I’d classify that as a number that indicates an inbound diagnosis, rather than remission. But that’s probably drifting somewhat off topic .

48 mmol/m seems to now be the "official" criteria for "remission" both DiRECT and ViRTA use it.. I think it should be sub 40 but that's just me..

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
You may be thinking of the Counterbalance study which preceded the DIRECT trial. University of Newcastle's press office says this:-
The Counterbalance study published in 2016, demonstrated that Type 2 diabetes remains reversible for up to 10 years in most people, and also that the normal metabolism persists long term, as long as the person doesn’t regain the weight.
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/archive/2017/09/type2diabetesisreversible/
That was it! Thank you Dark Horse! I agree with both @Jim Lahey and @bulkbiker is that is a little on the high side hence why I don't consider myself in remission but a work in progress. Better control always brings in more benefits than just lowering numbers, Jim is completely right.

Reactions: Member496333

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so I have read some articles about how people who have recently been diagnosed with type 2 lose weight they can get their blood sugar instantly down to normal and remain like that.....

Well it will certainly help, but I think instantly is a slight exaggeration.

I firmly believe that the rapid weight loss I achieved after diagnosis was a significant aid to me achieving non-diabetic levels.

But as @Jim Lahey says, it is better better glycemic control is the key to achieving this.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i personally feel so lost and confused about everything, was only diagnosed a month ago.
People are saying weightloss and exercise will solve it and as long as I keep the weight off I’ll be fine.

Other people are saying you can never eat any high carb foods ever as it will damage you in the long run, but surely the odd takeaway or sweet wouldn’t hurt if it was a once every few weeks sort of thing?

I honestly wouldn’t be able to do Keto, I’ve tracked my carbs and find in having around 150g at the most which is mainly from non starch veggies and fruits.

And honestly I wouldn’t want to give up pastas, bread for good!, I always stick to wholewheat and don’t have huge portions anyway of startchy carbs.....

Sorry if you think I’m being dumb or stupid, one minute I’m so positive about it and the next I feel so down and hateful to my self about it all, I’m getting so depressed about it

Sounds like you need to concentrate on getting your blood sugars down and having some success with weight loss. Once you get some successes there you may find that your views on what you want to eat change a bit.
Do you think you can avoid bread, pasta, and fruit for one month? 30 days isn't a long time so why not try that?
Meat, fish, eggs, green veg, cheese, cream and a few berries (50g say) maybe for a treat.
After 30 days you might find your tastes have changed and if, like many, the pounds have started to fall off then you might find you want to carry on.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From my reading so far I believe weight loss is critical but not exclusively so. I'm just learning at the moment but it seems that loss of visceral fat is particularly important and depending on the individual that may or may not equate to significant weight loss.

Additionally as T2D is usually more to do with insulin resistance, sustainable and lasting weight loss is (I think) only going to be possible in many cases if insulin sensitivity is also improved.

The right way to go about it for each individual is still open to debate but for me a modest weight loss brought about by a new medication enabled me to explore lower carb eating, now trying low carb/high fat with intermittent fasting.

Intermittent fasting (again, just my understanding from recent reading and limited experiments) is far and away the most important tool in the box for my particular situation. Combined with low carb, this results in steady weight loss even with my unfortunate lapses (getting fewer and less damaging just at the moment), so weight loss seems to be a happy coincidence in this case rather than the holy grail.

I've also read a little about sustainable and lasting weight loss, and so far it seems to me that when weight loss is the ultimate and exclusive goal, it is rarely lasting.

Edit: so any accompanying glucose control and insulin sensitivity may also not be lasting.

Last edited:

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you need to concentrate on getting your blood sugars down and having some success with weight loss. Once you get some successes there you may find that your views on what you want to eat change a bit.
Do you think you can avoid bread, pasta, and fruit for one month? 30 days isn't a long time so why not try that?
Meat, fish, eggs, green veg, cheese, cream and a few berries (50g say) maybe for a treat.
After 30 days you might find your tastes have changed and if, like many, the pounds have started to fall off then you might find you want to carry on.
Since being diagnosed a month ago I’ve lost a stone which I’m so happy about, I do slimming workd which helps a lot with motivation to lose weight....I literally eat pasta, rice and potatoes maybe once a week so not a lot at all, most of the fruits I eat are berries, clementine and apples, again I maybe have 2-3 portions of fruit....and I eat lots of veggies and fish (don’t eat meat) ....

I haven’t yet lost 10% of my body weight I have another half a stone to lose, and my blood sugar levels have come down quite abit.

I think I’m just scared of everything (sorry if that sounds silly) I had no symptoms of being diabetic at all, and I don’t want to get heart promblens or other health complications, so getting into remission is so important for me, I certainly wouldn’t give up.
My dad is t2, and he ate junk food for years, ate the hugest portions, chips nearly everyday and now he’s messed his pancreas that much he is on insulin, I don’t want that at all!, I know what to do is to eat a balanced diet of healthy carbs, fats, protein, but at the same time I don’t want to give up the foods I like occasionally like having pizza with my friends which we do once every 2 months
I’ve already made a lot of healthier choices like if I really want pasta I do half a cup of wholewheat with half a cup of courgetti spaghetti, I do the same with brown rice - mix cauliflower with it....I’ve used bean pasta which has so much more protein and fibre in - and my blood sugar levels are fine.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mollyc1995 The thing about weight is that high insulin levels in your body encourage weight gain and inhibit weight loss. Insulin is a fat carrying hormone. Eating foods that require large amounts of insulin to cope with them will never aid weight loss. The starchy foods you eat, even only weekly, will raise your insulin levels. If you cut out the pasta, rice and so on you may find your weight drops off.

Why are you aiming for a 10% weight loss? Is this the only excess weight you are carrying, or will you still be overweight?

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mollyc1995 The thing about weight is that high insulin levels in your body encourage weight gain and inhibit weight loss. Insulin is a fat carrying hormone. Eating foods that require large amounts of insulin to cope with them will never aid weight loss. The starchy foods you eat, even only weekly, will raise your insulin levels. If you cut out the pasta, rice and so on you may find your weight drops off.

Why are you aiming for a 10% weight loss? Is this the only excess weight you are carrying, or will you still be overweight?

From a lot of articles I’ve read, it’s says most people who lost 10% of their starting weight managed to get into remission...so I’m interested to see what my blood glucose levels would be when I hit that......and I have quite a lot of weight to lost around 6.5 stone now as altogether since joining slimming world I’ve lost 1.5 stone......I’m not even struggling to lose weight either, I’m losing between 1.5 - 2.5 Lbs a week....so that’s why I haven’t given up pasta potatoes rice all together, I just cut back on them and had smaller portions.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From a lot of articles I’ve read, it’s says most people who lost 10% of their starting weight managed to get into remission...so I’m interested to see what my blood glucose levels would be when I hit that......and I have quite a lot of weight to lost around 6.5 stone now as altogether since joining slimming world I’ve lost 1.5 stone......I’m not even struggling to lose weight either, I’m losing between 1.5 - 2.5 Lbs a week....so that’s why I haven’t given up pasta potatoes rice all together, I just cut back on them and had smaller portions.
The problem with slimming world and other similar regimes is that once you have lost the weight and go back to "normal" eating it all piles back on (often with a bit more just to make you feel really bad). That's the way repeat business works.
By following a low carb way of eating for me the pounds fell off and I could maintain that loss because I was always eating the meals I would carry on eating. Blood sugar s also came down too and I found that fasting became easier.
Your call what to do but weight loss (although it seems hard at the time) is far easier than weight loss maintenance which is where low carb appears to trump the other calorie restriction type methods.

Hotpepper20000

In my opinion better glycemic control causes weight loss rather than weight loss causing better glycemic control.
I agree. Once I knew I had high blood sugars, I did what I needed to to get them under control and the weight fell off.
I still have more to loose but my A1C has been under 40 for two years.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe T2 recovery may well depend on the reduction in insulin resistance rather than beta cells being kick-started. C-peptide tests will typically show that many but not all T2s have excess insulin production whereas T1s will have low insulin. My understanding is that with excess weight the muscle cells become 'blocked' with fat and can't take up insulin but meanwhile the pancreas will still be churning out unusable insulin. The ND is often quoted as saying that reducing fat from the pancreas and liver helps restore normal insulin production but I'm not convinced.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with slimming world and other similar regimes is that once you have lost the weight and go back to "normal" eating it all piles back on (often with a bit more just to make you feel really bad). That's the way repeat business works.
By following a low carb way of eating for me the pounds fell off and I could maintain that loss because I was always eating the meals I would carry on eating. Blood sugar s also came down too and I found that fasting became easier.
Your call what to do but weight loss (although it seems hard at the time) is far easier than weight loss maintenance which is where low carb appears to trump the other calorie restriction type methods.

I agree that some do put it all on once they’ve lost the weight....but I also know a lot of people who have done it and maintained it for years....as well with slimming world once you reach your target weight you don’t just stop going...you get given advice and a booklet on maintaining the weight and only need to go to get weight once every 6 weeks....and if my blood sugar goes to normal and slimming world works I will most certainly stick to it even after I get to my target weight....but I do agree that people can lose it and put on even more