Low level side effects, how long?

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was wondering how long low level side effects go on for.
Slightly muzzy head, grumbly stomach and urgent visit to the loo x 2 per day.

Metformin .....commenced on 500mg 9 days ago, rising to 500mg x 2, 2 days ago.

Thanks

Attachments

• Kenny.jpg
    Kenny.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 318

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up after 3 weeks ....changed what I ate and ditched metformin completely..but that's me..

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, we are intermittent fasters (3.5 years) and most of our carbs are complex. IF has had no effect on me as I started on steroids a few months later. My Type 2 is steroid induced.

CARNIVORE IS MY MIDDLE NAME :)

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had Polymyalgia Rheumatica for 3 years. Am gradually coming off but have to balance the tapering with the resurgence of symptoms. I'll get there.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
most of our carbs are complex

Well if carbs (of any sort) indeed cause inflammation, as many now think, then maybe cutting out carbs completely could help with the PR? As you are almost carnivore maybe that would help even more than metformin? Just a thought..

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a small point, as you intermittently fast, are you taking the Metformin with food as that will reduce gastric symptoms. My side effects if I remember rightly lasted around ten days to two weeks.

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes,no carbs would do good AND.....I am not up for that :)
Well if carbs (of any sort) indeed cause inflammation, as many now think, then maybe cutting out carbs completely could help with the PR? As you are almost carnivore maybe that would help even more than metformin? Just a thought..

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a small point, as you intermittently fast, are you taking the Metformin with food as that will reduce gastric symptoms. My side effects if I remember rightly lasted around ten days to two weeks.
No, not taking morning dose with food. I'll put up with the discomfort as I am unwilling to change the Intermittent Fasting regime. It's my norm now....
When you consider I had a metabolism that went haywire mid morning, got low blood sugar late afternoon when preparing evening meal, IF works for me. Wouldn't want to go back to eating before midday now.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No, not taking morning dose with food. I'll put up with the discomfort as I am unwilling to change the Intermittent Fasting regime. It's my norm now....

Can't you change when you take the Metformin? It doesn't have to be at any particular time of day. Or are you an all day faster?

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't you change when you take the Metformin? It doesn't have to be at any particular time of day. Or are you an all day faster?
I could change and am concerned that I will forget as I will then have 3 lots of med times.
However, will give it a shot. Thanks :)

Edited to add,

"Diet only, low carb/high fat/normal protein"

Please to see your line above.

My French doctor, as lovely as he is, has asked me to reduce fat intake! I am sad that there are still so many people around who do not seem to have moved away from old skool thinking.
I don't take sugar, we don't eat French bread (once every couple of weeks maybe). Don't drink wine more than once per 2 weeks (if that), don't take fizzy drinks.....carbs are complex, bread is Organic wholegrain Rye with seeds.......butter yes, olive oil yes. Meat, fish, eggs, cheese yes.
I can't/won't give up anything cos I am pretty convinced we eat healthy food.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could change and am concerned that I will forget as I will then have 3 lots of med times.
I take meds first thing and bedtime, these I have always remembered. When I was started on Metformin and needed to take one in the middle of the day I kept forgetting it so I now have a repeating alarm set on my phone.

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take meds first thing and bedtime, these I have always remembered. When I was started on Metformin and needed to take one in the middle of the day I kept forgetting it so I now have a repeating alarm set on my phone.
I think OH would go mad if there were yet another bleeping event in the house! But yes, this is a good plan.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Edited to add,

"Diet only, low carb/high fat/normal protein"

Please to see your line above.

My French doctor, as lovely as he is, has asked me to reduce fat intake! I am sad that there are still so many people around who do not seem to have moved away from old skool thinking.
I don't take sugar, we don't eat French bread (once every couple of weeks maybe). Don't drink wine more than once per 2 weeks (if that), don't take fizzy drinks.....carbs are complex, bread is Organic wholegrain Rye with seeds.......butter yes, olive oil yes. Meat, fish, eggs, cheese yes.

Yes, it is very sad doctors and HCPs still tell us to reduce fat, especially the saturated variety. Old science, and it wasn't even good science when the low fat mantra was first invented, but everyone fell for it.

You can drink red wine. No need to deprive yourself. The carb amount is negligible and a glass a day is good for the heart. Antioxidants and all that.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

But you have a diabetic HbA1c level and an inflammatory condition.. both of which may be assisted by reducing carbs a bit more.. I know I keep banging on but cutting out the bread may allow you get off the steroids and the metformin.. not worth an experiment for a month just to see?

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, it is very sad doctors and HCPs still tell us to reduce fat, especially the saturated variety. Old science, and it wasn't even good science when the low fat mantra was first invented, but everyone fell for it.

You can drink red wine. No need to deprive yourself. The carb amount is negligible and a glass a day is good for the heart. Antioxidants and all that.
I'm not really interested in alcohol, so the rare wine is because we don't bother, not because we have given up.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But you have a diabetic HbA1c level and an inflammatory condition.. both of which may be assisted by reducing carbs a bit more.. I know I keep banging on but cutting out the bread may allow you get off the steroids and the metformin.. not worth an experiment for a month just to see?

I think I have done quite well to get to 63&3/4s living the life I live. After years of trying various 'diets' and never ever maintaining an ideal weight I decided aged 55 I would never again do something I could not sustain.
I read about the Newcastle diet and thought how soul destroying it sounded.
The IF has been for 3.5 years and I am dead proud to have been able to do that.
I eat good healthy food, my diet is more French now than English and I continue to enjoy what I eat.
Please, no more 'banging on' in your words....it doesn't work for me, I am my own counsel.