Yes! Needed to share.

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I was diagnosed with T2 21st December, but by that time I had already guessed what was wrong with me and had already changed my diet and taken up more exercise etc. When I was diagnosed, my A1C was 122 - which the DSN said was "through the roof". Even though its only around 3 weeks later they had another test done on Monday, and I've just checked he results and its 88. Sure its still way high but it definitely indicates I am on the right track. As it needs to be around 3 months to really see the impact - I feel this is a great win so far :) Just wanted to share!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!

Has your healthcare team offered any comment/interest in how you have achieved such an excellent (and dramatic) drop in result?

Reactions: timgil
M

Member496333

Wow that’s amazing. I wouldn’t have guessed it was possible to see such a drop so quickly.

Well done!

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done!

Has your healthcare team offered any comment/interest in how you have achieved such an excellent (and dramatic) drop in result?

Not yet, but I have an appointment with the DSN again on 31st Jan so will see then. I am sure she will put it down (at least in part) to following the meal plan she gave me and I ignored ;). Then again they are practically forced to spout the eatwell guide however bad it is.

Reactions: Brunneria

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow that’s amazing. I wouldn’t have guessed it was possible to see such a drop so quickly.

Well done!

I do confess, I am half expecting them to say "Oops, sorry we mixed up your test with someone else!"

M

Member496333

Not yet, but I have an appointment with the DSN again on 31st Jan so will see then. I am sure she will put it down (at least in part) to following the meal plan she gave me and I ignored ;). Then again they are practically forced to spout the eatwell guide however bad it is.

Tell her you took the food pyramid and turned it upside down :hilarious:

Reactions: Sue192 and Rachox

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you for sharing your brilliant result, it is just the boost I need today to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! And please if you feel able tell the nurse how you’ve done it, we need to make it clear to our HCPs that the Eatwell Plate doesn’t work.

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! And please if you feel able tell the nurse how you’ve done it, we need to make it clear to our HCPs that the Eatwell Plate doesn’t work.

I agree, and I will certainly try. I suspect from the way she sneered and mumbled about "I don't think anyone should ever do keto diet" when I mentioned it on my first visit, that she will be very sceptical. I don't do a keto diet anyway - but I have definitely cut my carbs down from what they were before. I fear that like so much of NHS she has been totally indoctrinated about the eatwell plate. Personally I really cant understand it. I can accept that it may be a healthy diet for those that don't have what is basically a carb intolerance, but how can they possibly believe that a diet rich in carbs can be suitable for diabetics? It boggles the mind!

Just as an edit- what I AM eating is usually something like this:
Breakfast: Porridge made from pinhead oats - sometimes with blueberries, or two slices of Warburtons Wholegrain toast with Whole Earth Peanut butter with flax seeds, or omelette made from two eggs with whatever left over veggies I have and some cheese.
Lunch: Usually something like a can of Lentil soup
Dinner: Salmon, Mackerel, steak or sausages with salad or fresh veggies (mostly brocolli/sprouts but sometimes a little corn/carrot/cauliflour. Often with mushrooms.
Snacks: Peanuts/blanched almonds/brazil nuts/olives with cherry tomatoes in olive oil.
I always fry anything in extra virgin olive oil (or occasionally butter).

It's not super low carb or super high fat - but its a lot less carby than I used to have. I usually restrict starchy carbs to breakfast in porridge or toast and mostly limit myself to two slices of bread a day (usually with peanut butter). Sometimes I will be naughty and comfort eat - but even when I do - it's less quantity than I used to and not nearly as often. I never add sugar or salt to anything (but add a LOT of black pepper for flavour).

Nothing complicated at all - just what seems to be working for me at the moment. If/when it stops working - I will do what needs to be done. However, there is no way my diet would fit on the government's "Eatbad Guide"!

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, and I will certainly try. I suspect from the way she sneered and mumbled about "I don't think anyone should ever do keto diet" when I mentioned it on my first visit, that she will be very sceptical. I don't do a keto diet anyway - but I have definitely cut my carbs down from what they were before. I fear that like so much of NHS she has been totally indoctrinated about the eatwell plate. Personally I really cant understand it. I can accept that it may be a healthy diet for those that don't have what is basically a carb intolerance, but how can they possibly believe that a diet rich in carbs can be suitable for diabetics? It boggles the mind!
It took me a few visits to mention low carbing to my GP, but once he’d seen my results I did and he was supportive. I hope you’ll get a similar response from your nurse when she realises it works!

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It took me a few visits to mention low carbing to my GP, but once he’d seen my results I did and he was supportive. I hope you’ll get a similar response from your nurse when she realises it works!

Oddly, I've not actually seen the GP but have seen the DSN twice, and another nurse to take another blood sample on Monday. I feel quite comfortable about that to be honest, as I believe the DSN probably knows a lot more about diabetes than the doctor anyway!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oddly, I've not actually seen the GP but have seen the DSN twice, and another nurse to take another blood sample on Monday. I feel quite comfortable about that to be honest, as I believe the DSN probably knows a lot more about diabetes than the doctor anyway!
I should clarify I was seeing my GP for my first four or five reviews as there wasn’t a diabetic nurse in post at my surgery. When I saw the new nurse for the first time she was very receptive to my way of eating.

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wanted to update this post. I've just had my first 3 month review and some things I've not been happy about. I have been trying to lose weight and I am definitely "slimmer" as I needed to get jeans out of storage I had grown out of and can "squeze" through spaces I couldn't a few months ago! However it appears that I haven't actually lost any "weight" even though I have lost inches! Slight disappointment but losing the inches is probably more important anyway!

However, my new A1C really has me smiling as over the last 4 months it has gone from the A&E hospital reading of 122mmol/mol, to now only 42mmol/mol. Only just inside pre-diabetes levels! Yes this is while still taking glimipiride so I imagine if I stopped taking it, it would go up again but I think at most of this has come from the change in lifestyle. Mostly this has been reducing carbs (not cutting out or even going really low - but avoiding all the pies and other pastries and rice and only having whole wheat seeded bread etc) and doing more exercise. I am sure it wont work for everyone as we are all very different - but I am convinced that just those small changes (and a few others like them) have had this amazing effect for me. Very pleased and just he boost I needed after an annoying week!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My weight is stuck firm - even after reducing down to 40 gm of carbs per day - but a couple of weeks ago I bought some size M trousers, by accident, and they fit!! Slightly more snuggly than might be appropriate for someone who is going to be 68 in a few days, but I used to need XXL - and I can move knitting machines quite easily these days, so my musculature must have increased.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to update this post. I've just had my first 3 month review and some things I've not been happy about. I have been trying to lose weight and I am definitely "slimmer" as I needed to get jeans out of storage I had grown out of and can "squeze" through spaces I couldn't a few months ago! However it appears that I haven't actually lost any "weight" even though I have lost inches! Slight disappointment but losing the inches is probably more important anyway!

However, my new A1C really has me smiling as over the last 4 months it has gone from the A&E hospital reading of 122mmol/mol, to now only 42mmol/mol. Only just inside pre-diabetes levels! Yes this is while still taking glimipiride so I imagine if I stopped taking it, it would go up again but I think at most of this has come from the change in lifestyle. Mostly this has been reducing carbs (not cutting out or even going really low - but avoiding all the pies and other pastries and rice and only having whole wheat seeded bread etc) and doing more exercise. I am sure it wont work for everyone as we are all very different - but I am convinced that just those small changes (and a few others like them) have had this amazing effect for me. Very pleased and just he boost I needed after an annoying week!
Great result well done indeed!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Magnificent results!
And yes, the change in shape is very good, even if the scales are slower to drop.
That HbA1c is amazing :D