Metformin - When to take?

Hello52

Hi all,
I'm treated with Xultophy once daily, and two pills of Metformin daily. I heard a lecture where the doctor indicated that for those taking two pills of Metformin a day, the preferred time to take them is before going to bed at night - this in order to maximize its effect during the nightly fast.
Can anyone confirm if this is true? Is it accepted practice?
Thanks!
Gabi.

Reactions: Traceymac23

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It may be true I must admit I don't know but most people I know who take it normally take one with morning meal and one with evening meal and I believe if you take it without food it's more likely to cause gastric problems that is gut ache, nausea and diarrhoea and such. And I tend not to eat a meal at bedtime.

Reactions: Keesha
D

Deleted member 308541

Hi all,
I'm treated with Xultophy once daily, and two pills of Metformin daily. I heard a lecture where the doctor indicated that for those taking two pills of Metformin a day, the preferred time to take them is before going to bed at night - this in order to maximize its effect during the nightly fast.
Thanks!
Gabi.
I take my Metformin with meals, one at breakfast, one with the evening meal.

It states on the box "Twice daily with meals" as directed by my GP.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Onions, tuna, rude people,
Hi there. I take 2g a day and I was advised to take 1g with morning meal and the other 1g with evening meal. I was told to make sure it is taken with or just after eating. Hope things work out for you.:):)

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Hi there. I take 2g a day and I was advised to take 1g with morning meal and the other 1g with evening meal. I was told to make sure it is taken with or just after eating. Hope things work out for you.:):)
Hi all,
Thanks!
Gabi.

One with breakfast, one with dinner

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
Ask your GP for Metformin SR. (slow release).

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
GP had me changed back to slow release but gave me IBS symptoms so now stopped, for now. Hoping after Bariatric full by-pass I can suffer those meds again. Even just before food so when meal hits my gut is ready. Not too long before food though.
I tried with food and the effects were hit and miss.
Not really sure I need metformin for PCOS anymore as monthly is only a tad late every month. Metformin was my infertility saviour. In fact had my family on it.
Taking metformin for decades without IBS was a pleasure. I found my diabetes in good order with it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take three tablets a day, I used to take one with each meal but was forgetting the lunch time one, so Gp suggested two at breakfast and one at dinner. Metformin has a cumulative effect so this made no difference whatsoever to my blood sugar levels throughout the day.