1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin - When to take?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Hello52, Apr 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hello52

Hello52 · Newbie

Hi all,
    I'm treated with Xultophy once daily, and two pills of Metformin daily. I heard a lecture where the doctor indicated that for those taking two pills of Metformin a day, the preferred time to take them is before going to bed at night - this in order to maximize its effect during the nightly fast.
    Can anyone confirm if this is true? Is it accepted practice?
    Thanks!
    Gabi.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

It may be true I must admit I don't know but most people I know who take it normally take one with morning meal and one with evening meal and I believe if you take it without food it's more likely to cause gastric problems that is gut ache, nausea and diarrhoea and such. And I tend not to eat a meal at bedtime.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I take my Metformin with meals, one at breakfast, one with the evening meal.

It states on the box "Twice daily with meals" as directed by my GP.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. acerimmer

acerimmer Type 2 · Active Member

Hi there. I take 2g a day and I was advised to take 1g with morning meal and the other 1g with evening meal. I was told to make sure it is taken with or just after eating. Hope things work out for you.:):)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Traceymac23

Traceymac23 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

One with breakfast, one with dinner

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. catfan

catfan I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ask your GP for Metformin SR. (slow release).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

GP had me changed back to slow release but gave me IBS symptoms so now stopped, for now. Hoping after Bariatric full by-pass I can suffer those meds again. Even just before food so when meal hits my gut is ready. Not too long before food though.
    I tried with food and the effects were hit and miss.
    Not really sure I need metformin for PCOS anymore as monthly is only a tad late every month. Metformin was my infertility saviour. In fact had my family on it.
    Taking metformin for decades without IBS was a pleasure. I found my diabetes in good order with it.

8. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I take three tablets a day, I used to take one with each meal but was forgetting the lunch time one, so Gp suggested two at breakfast and one at dinner. Metformin has a cumulative effect so this made no difference whatsoever to my blood sugar levels throughout the day.

• Useful Useful x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook