Patient Participation Group Meeting - Soon

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In a few weeks I will be attending my first Patient Participation Group Meeting at my local GP surgery. What message if any might I take from Diabetes.co.uk, at or to the meeting?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Maybe you're own experience with diet and lifestyle perhaps? In avoiding progressing to T2

Will there tea, coffee and cake? :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:D Good point though, avoiding Type 2 by the skin of my teeth.

I am not going to be the geezer that rolls up having shed 2 stone in a month as a shining example but yes, I can vouch for my own experiences.

I will hand around the sugar free liquorice, take my own sweetner and a rollito in a napkin. :D

Reactions: zauberflote

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At my first PPG meeting I showed up with a homemade LC carrot cake! I explained it was LC and why I had brought it. I left it at that for my first meeting, feeling I had sowed the seeds without bundling in all guns blazing!
At each meeting they have one member of the practice staff attending to talk about their role. So a couple of meetings down the line the new DSN attended so I had my chance and explained how I treat my type 2 from advice I found here. Subsequently at my own follow up appt. with the same nurse she invited me to have a low carb/type 2/weight loss stand at a coffee morning to be held later in the year.
So I went for the softly softly approach.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At my first PPG meeting I showed up with a homemade LC carrot cake! I explained it was LC and why I had brought it. I left it at that for my first meeting, feeling I had sowed the seeds without bundling in all guns blazing!
At each meeting they have one member of the practice staff attending to talk about their role. So a couple of meetings down the line the new DSN attended so I had my chance and explained how I treat my type 2 from advice I found here. Subsequently at my own follow up appt. with the same nurse she invited me to have a low carb/type 2/weight loss stand at a coffee morning to be held later in the year.
So I went for the softly softly approach.
Well you have set the bar high for me with the baking of the low carb carrot cake. :D

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The first one I attended, I used to gauge the atmosphere, and to assess what my role would be. It turned out that I was going to have to be a voice of reason, as the other participants were all retired, elderly, men who wanted to implement a policy of dismissing patients from the practice if they had failed to attend two appointments without cancelling first. It took quite some time to persuade them that there could be numerous reasons for the missed appointments, (such as mental health issues, or dementia / memory issues, for example). They also thought anyone overweight or smokers should be treated less favourably than the more ‘virtuous’ patients. I decided that they would not be amenable to any discussion on T2 diabetes management, as they believed in the blame culture. That was when I decided that it would be better to work on discussing diabetes management with nursing and health care assistants in the first instance. Also suggesting to them that the PPG, might need some tweaking with invitation to a more diverse patient sample to be fully effective and representative of the registered patients. It took time.
What I am meaning to say, @Listlad , is that it could be a good idea to get to know the rest of the PPG, before deciding to introduce new ideas.

Reactions: DianaMC and Diakat

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The first one I attended, I used to gauge the atmosphere, and to assess what my role would be. It turned out that I was going to have to be a voice of reason, as the other participants were all retired, elderly, men who wanted to implement a policy of dismissing patients from the practice if they had failed to attend two appointments without cancelling first. It took quite some time to persuade them that there could be numerous reasons for the missed appointments, (such as mental health issues, or dementia / memory issues, for example). They also thought anyone overweight or smokers should be treated less favourably than the more ‘virtuous’ patients. I decided that they would not be amenable to any discussion on T2 diabetes management, as they believed in the blame culture. That was when I decided that it would be better to work on discussing diabetes management with nursing and health care assistants in the first instance. Also suggesting to them that the PPG, might need some tweaking with invitation to a more diverse patient sample to be fully effective and representative of the registered patients. It took time.
What I am meaning to say, @Listlad , is that it could be a good idea to get to know the rest of the PPG, before deciding to introduce new ideas.
I know the type you mean. And they are not me.

The meeting is at 4.30pm so that must preclude a number of people e.g. those in full time work. I only work part time now so will be able to attend.

Okay. Thanks for the feedback.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know the type you mean. And they are not me.

The meeting is at 4.30pm so that must preclude a number of people e.g. those in full time work. I only work part time now so will be able to attend.

Okay. Thanks for the feedback.
Oh, @Listlad. I wasn’t suggesting you were one of that type. Just giving a heads up of what could transpire. As your meeting is at 4:30 it would exclude the 9 to 5 workers. Similar at my PPG, until I suggested mixing up the times. They now have some meetings in the evening, or weekend and even a monthly Sunday lunch for vulnerable , lonely old folks.
I am sure you will come up with lots of bright ideas, just sometimes established groups can be resistant to change.
Best of luck with it all.

Ps. I am not, yet one of the lonely old folks. Working on it.;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, @Listlad. I wasn’t suggesting you were one of that type. Just giving a heads up of what could transpire. As your meeting is at 4:30 it would exclude the 9 to 5 workers. Similar at my PPG, until I suggested mixing up the times. They now have some meetings in the evening, or weekend and even a monthly Sunday lunch for vulnerable , lonely old folks.
I am sure you will come up with lots of bright ideas, just sometimes established groups can be resistant to change.
Best of luck with it all.

Ps. I am not, yet one of the lonely old folks. Working on it.;)
I might be over 60 but will be thinking of our 6 year old and her age group too, so will be going with a open stance age group wise. If and when lchf is discussed I will also be thinking of kids and school dinners etc etc etc. I know the school has a nurse that visits and they cover nutrition in school, so there is work to be done there.

Reactions: DianaMC

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/low-carb-carrot-cake/
:hungry::happy:

6DCB25FC-9A39-451C-9D3A-5B75A2475D01.jpeg
Yes please. And a photo? :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp
Actually looking at the names it is 3 women and me. So I bring a touch of balance to the fray. :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The time has come around for the local PPG to meet up. The first this year apparently. A few weeks ago I posted to see what the forum might say in the way of suggestions. I read some negativity amongst posters, from time to time, towards their local surgery and it is those moans and groans that I might take up my sleeve, should chance be there on the day.

I did initially post along similar lines in the thread below but there was comment conspicuous by its absence:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/patient-participation-group-meeting-soon.163083/

The agenda includes:

4. Empowering Communities – an explanation by xxxxx
5. Primary Care Network - an update by Dr xxxxx
6. Walk Leader Training
7. Future Aims and Intents of PPG (the main agenda item)
8. Any Other Business

Any suggestions given and conveyed might not help those not attending my local surgery, but every little helps, as they say.

[Post moved by moderator, merging to existing topic.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Why can’t I get my results online even though I have asked?
Why do prescriptions not reach the pharmacy?