The Obesity Code

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'Unlocking the secrets of weight loss' by Jason Fung.
Wow!
Someone had kindly recommended 'The art and science of low carbohydrate performance' by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney to me following an earlier thread. I bought it but it didn't cost enough to qualify for free postage so I ummed and erred about another book. I didn't really want a keto cookbook because I am quite comfortable in a kitchen. Finally I remembered 'The Obesity Code' being recommended in a different thread.
I have just read it cover to cover in half a day and it has been a revelation. It has reminded me how little I still know and how much more I can learn despite starting to think that I might have this diabetes thing cracked.
Thanks to the excellent advice available here on the forum I was on the right track but much of the book was still an eye opener.
I am half way through the Volek and Phinney now and that's a cracker too and will be very helpful but the Jason Fung is required reading for T2's who have struggled with weight in my opinion.
If you are newly diagnosed I strongly recommend this book to you:)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe you would also be interested in this one, too, @Muddikins

The Longevity Solution: Rediscovering Centuries-Old Secrets to a Healthy, Long Life Paperback – February 26, 2019
by Dr. Jason Fung & Dr. James DiNicolantonio

Reactions: jjraak and jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have a favourite bit yet? There were many moments when reading where I literally had a jaw-drop moment, I think the main one was that we haven't evolved to eat three meals a day. After a lifetime of being told you should eat regularly and never skip meals especially breakfast (which is especially important to skip, for me, now!) it was just a revelation.

Edit: Well... ok, the bit about how entire societies never previously suffering from obesity or diabetes were struck by both shortly after adopting western diets with refined wheat and corn products.

And the bit about not needing carbs to survive - it's truly amazing how that's an accepted "fact" yet so many people, some on these forums, have proven it utterly false.

Edit... sorry, I post a bit too quick sometimes... I just realised that could be read as "not needing carbs" being proven false... I mean the opposite, we're told we need carbs to survive but that's false.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have a favourite bit yet? There were many moments when reading where I literally had a jaw-drop moment, I think the main one was that we haven't evolved to eat three meals a day. After a lifetime of being told you should eat regularly and never skip meals especially breakfast (which is especially important to skip, for me, now!) it was just a revelation.

Edit: Well... ok, the bit about how entire societies never previously suffering from obesity or diabetes were struck by both shortly after adopting western diets with refined wheat and corn products.

And the bit about not needing carbs to survive - it's truly amazing how that's an accepted "fact" yet so many people, some on these forums, have proven it utterly false.

Edit... sorry, I post a bit too quick sometimes... I just realised that could be read as "not needing carbs" being proven false... I mean the opposite, we're told we need carbs to survive but that's false.
Lots of bits.
The game changer was that all foods raise insulin levels even if they don't raise blood glucose levels much. I had already been restricting the time in which I eat to 6 hours but I think a more structured regime of intermittent fasting is in order.
The role of sleep (he writes at 0400 in the morning)
The role of cortisol and anxiety, that one is mainly for a friend who suffers chronic anxiety and then tested positive for prediabetes. Perhaps unsurprisingly he has gone into a tailspin about it and I will be lending him the book tomorrow.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe you would also be interested in this one, too, @Muddikins

The Longevity Solution: Rediscovering Centuries-Old Secrets to a Healthy, Long Life Paperback – February 26, 2019
by Dr. Jason Fung & Dr. James DiNicolantonio
Thank you. That sounds right up my street. Time for some early morning internet shopping :)

Reactions: jpscloud and jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Muddikins

Not read the obesity one, but can highly recommend his diabetes code.

Absolutely fascinating..and Informative ..
and in a way even the layman with limited experience of T2D, ( as I was ) could follow and understand.
( some pretty complex metabolic processes and functions involved in coping with our disease )

Am currently on 2nd reading, and it has helped me tremendously cope and understand on a totally higher level what exactly is going on inside me.

Love and agree with you, how segments stick and make sense in a way that would have been much harder to comprehend pre reading .

Will put the obesity code on my wish list, thanks to your recommendation.

Good luck on your journey.

Last edited:

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Muddikins

Not read the obesity one, but can highly recommend his diabetes code.

Absolutely fascinating..and Informative ..
and in a way even the layman with limited experience of T2D, ( as I was ) could follow and understand.
( some pretty complex metabolic processes and functions involved in coping with our disease )

Am currently on 2nd reading, and it has helped me tremendously cope and understand on a totally higher level what exactly is going on inside me.

Love and agree with you, how segments stick and make sense in a way that would have been much harder to comprehend pre reading .

Will put the obesity code on my wish list, thanks to your recommendation.

Good luck on your journey.
Thank you for the recommendation.
It would probably have made more sense for me to start with the Diabetes Code but, and this is perhaps a little odd, I fear becoming obese again more than diabetes. The link between the two was clear enough though and I felt that if I could properly crack staying thin I would probably maintain a good level of diabetes control. That may even be true but I am inspired now to know more. Back to the bookshop I go:).
Best of luck in your journey too.

M

Member496333

I haven’t yet done The Obesity Code. It was never on my radar - on account of having a BMI of 18.7 - but I will almost certainly get around to it now that my interest and knowledge has expanded.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven’t yet done The Obesity Code. It was never on my radar - on account of having a BMI of 18.7 - but I will almost certainly get around to it now that my interest and knowledge has expanded.
There is a bit of overlap but of course there is between the two conditions and each book is well worth reading and rereading.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots of bits.
The game changer was that all foods raise insulin levels even if they don't raise blood glucose levels much. I had already been restricting the time in which I eat to 6 hours but I think a more structured regime of intermittent fasting is in order.
The role of sleep (he writes at 0400 in the morning)
The role of cortisol and anxiety, that one is mainly for a friend who suffers chronic anxiety and then tested positive for prediabetes. Perhaps unsurprisingly he has gone into a tailspin about it and I will be lending him the book tomorrow.
There's also the complete guide to fasting by Jason Fung and others. Very helpful for me as intermittent fasting was the game changer in my way of eating.

Reactions: ringi and Muddikins

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On a similar vein to the OPs initial review and also very readable:
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. His earlier book Good Calories Bad Calories is great too as it contains the entire history of the nutritional 'science' that brought us 'diaobesity' . It should be noted that our change to high carb, lower fat diets does correlate with escalating diaboesity but it is still debated why this is so e.g. is it something in junk that changes our appetite regulation? Or the insulinogenic effects of (mainly) processed carbohydrates that fatten us and change our appetites. Heard an interesting talk by Michael Eades (a low carb maverick before it was trendy) speculating that processed oils are uniquely fattening.
The lowest common denominator seems to be that processed carbs and sugar are a very bad idea for the majority of us.
After reading (or rather listening due to my diabetic eyes not working too well) I at least feel confident that it is more complicated that calories in vs. calories out!

Reactions: jpscloud