Newly diagnosed type 1 - increasing ketone levels

callmefatsss

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed with type 1 two weeks ago. My ketone levels were quite low after being discharged however this week they started to increase again even though my blood sugar levels have been pretty decent and consistent. Yesterday my ketones shot up from 0.5 to 1.1 (I suspect I got my carb counting wrong!) Is there anything I can do on my part to reduce the ketones e.g. inject myself with insulin without eating/drink more water?

Thank you very much

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @callmefatsss,
Welcome to this site.
Please speak to your health team. That is what they are there for.
They know you, your treatment and are best qualified to supply the advice and treatment that
you require right now !!
And to devise with you individualised plans to help you cope with these situations in future
e.g. high ketones, sick days etc.
Best Wishes.:):):)
Please let us know how you fare !!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I was diagnosed with type 1 two weeks ago. My ketone levels were quite low after being discharged however this week they started to increase again even though my blood sugar levels have been pretty decent and consistent. Yesterday my ketones shot up from 0.5 to 1.1 (I suspect I got my carb counting wrong!) Is there anything I can do on my part to reduce the ketones e.g. inject myself with insulin without eating/drink more water?

Thank you very much

Hi, back at you..

Welcome to the forum.

Start talking to your HCPs regarding keytones. Keep a close eye & log BG readings too.
Here is an NHS link on keytone advice. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

What are you BGs reading doing?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with the above. Especially ask your team about correction doses when your bg is high after food.