1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed type 1 - increasing ketone levels

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by callmefatsss, Apr 10, 2019.

1. callmefatsss

callmefatsss · Newbie

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed with type 1 two weeks ago. My ketone levels were quite low after being discharged however this week they started to increase again even though my blood sugar levels have been pretty decent and consistent. Yesterday my ketones shot up from 0.5 to 1.1 (I suspect I got my carb counting wrong!) Is there anything I can do on my part to reduce the ketones e.g. inject myself with insulin without eating/drink more water?

Thank you very much

2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @callmefatsss,
    Welcome to this site.
    Please speak to your health team. That is what they are there for.
    They know you, your treatment and are best qualified to supply the advice and treatment that
    you require right now !!
    And to devise with you individualised plans to help you cope with these situations in future
    e.g. high ketones, sick days etc.
    Best Wishes.:):):)
    Please let us know how you fare !!

3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi, back at you..

Welcome to the forum.

Start talking to your HCPs regarding keytones. Keep a close eye & log BG readings too.
    Here is an NHS link on keytone advice. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

What are you BGs reading doing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Agree with the above. Especially ask your team about correction doses when your bg is high after food.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook