Honey yes or no

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think honey is higher in fructose than sugar, so some might recommend it on the grounds that it might not raise blood glucose levels as much as sugar. Fructose may not be the innocent natural sweetness we're led to believe it is by some product manufacturers though - it has negative metabolic effects that @JimLahey will better explain than me.

I noticed supermarkets still selling pure fructose in the sweeteners aisle. Big jars of it.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
You've only got to have one look at the 'Honey Monster' and know it's not worth it!!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends. If I have a meal of meat and caramelized chicory, using only a teaspoon of honey for the caramelising I still have a very low carb meal (zero for the meat, up to 3 or 4 grams for the chicory, not sure how much a big potion of chicory weighs, as good as zero for the butter to fry, honey 4 to 5 grams), less than 10 grams of carbs a meal.
The same goes for a teaspoon of honey (4 to 5 grams) in your bowl of Greek yoghurt (200 grams of yoghurt is around 6 grams of carbs), which makes for a breakfast of around 10 grams of carbs.

Reactions: KookieMunchster

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
Bearing in mind that in mediaeval times diabetes was known as the honey disease, I should say no.

D

Deleted member 308541

I like honey especially sugar bag from our native bees, there is a hive on our property that gets robbed occasionally.
Dwe01us.gif

<sighs> I just have a taste nowadays though </sighs>.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like how Jim is saying flat out "no". :hilarious:
I wouldn't touch honey, date sugar, white sugar or anything because well, it makes my BG rise to unspeakable levels and it's not worth my insulin for it. :shifty:
It's only useful in hypo situations.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s actually very easy to work out whether or not you can consume various food and drink with Type 2 Diabetes....if it looks tasty and enjoyable, then you can’t eat it in the main. :banghead: