Honey yes or no

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s actually very easy to work out whether or not you can consume various food and drink with Type 2 Diabetes....if it looks tasty and enjoyable, then you can’t eat it in the main. :banghead:

I’d say the opposite. What’s not tasty or enjoyable about a nice juicy steak, crispy bacon, fresh fish, cheese, extra thick cream. The list goes on.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s actually very easy to work out whether or not you can consume various food and drink with Type 2 Diabetes....if it looks tasty and enjoyable, then you can’t eat it in the main. :banghead:
Erm, speak for yourself.
I think various french cheeses, a steak with mushrooms and onions, bacon, homemade meatballs or a casserole with vegetables and cream look very tasty and enjoyable.
I'm sorry you don't like veggies with cheese or bacon cubes, and I'm sorry you don't enjoy olives, avocado, devilled eggs and nuts, but don't tell us we can't eat those things because we think it looks tasty and enjoyable!

If it was meant as a funny remark, I don't think it is.

There are definitely foods I miss (bread!) but why would you tell people who are struggling with their diabetes and food choices that almost anything they like is a no? Most people like a lot of foods we can eat without a single thought about blood sugar!

Reactions: HSSS

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Honey, corn syrup and maple syrup are all lumped in the same "Do Not Eat" bin along with the other sugars, but I'll trade them all for a nice steak or even a hamburger on lettuce...

Reactions: Goonergal

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
Depends. If I have a meal of meat and caramelized chicory, using only a teaspoon of honey for the caramelising I still have a very low carb meal (zero for the meat, up to 3 or 4 grams for the chicory, not sure how much a big potion of chicory weighs, as good as zero for the butter to fry, honey 4 to 5 grams), less than 10 grams of carbs a meal.
The same goes for a teaspoon of honey (4 to 5 grams) in your bowl of Greek yoghurt (200 grams of yoghurt is around 6 grams of carbs), which makes for a breakfast of around 10 grams of carbs.

I agree with this. I use honey in my home baking as a sweetener over other sweeteners like Erythritol which would not spike BS. This is simply because I am more comfortable with the idea of using raw honey which has (solely in my own opinion) more nutritional diversity. A teaspoon amount say 10g over a bake of 10 zucchini lemon coconut muffins is really 0.8 in carbs per muffin from honey and when you have reduced sugar in your life you are sensitive to its taste. Honey is pretty sweet :). I split the muffin with my partner so that is 0.45( we share the ‘Sin’) In the end it’s the overall picture you have of your own diet as well as your own private goals and what helps you cope that will help you maintain it long term.

Reactions: jjraak and Antje77

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The only time I use honey is as an endearing term to thy wife, just before I tell her I broke something of hers or ate her lunch.

M

Member496333

I find the opposite. Everything I’d previously been conditioned to think would kill me, I now eat as much of as I like. The real tasty stuff :hungry:

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's funny, and I know you mean well, but I'm going to have to butt in here with a disagreement:
Steak is fine for T2,
pork chops are fine,
chicken is fine,
eggs are fine,
fish is fine,
cheese is fine,
good red wine is fine,
dry white wine is fine,
Spirits are fine,
green leafy veg is fine,
The list just goes on and on.

I miss potatoes, pasta and rice, but apart from that, you can eat like a KING on a low carb T2 diet.

Reactions: Guzzler

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Or you can try it and test with your meter and, depending on the result, you will either be pleasantly surprised or decide it’s definately a no go food.

Reactions: jjraak

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My comments were meant somewhat as a sarcastic lilt on my personal views to a degree. It appears i have offended at least one 'snowflake'. Get over it, its a sarcastic joke.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I do not like honey so I'm not missing out on it. Yesterday we had a family favourite of chicken and vegi stir fry, in the old days honey was a part of the marinade but since diagnosis I have left it out and no one has ever noticed. My family have the meat and vegis on a bed of rice but I get to have a double portion of the chicken and veg. Happy Days!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends. If I have a meal of meat and caramelized chicory, using only a teaspoon of honey for the caramelising I still have a very low carb meal (zero for the meat, up to 3 or 4 grams for the chicory, not sure how much a big potion of chicory weighs, as good as zero for the butter to fry, honey 4 to 5 grams), less than 10 grams of carbs a meal.
The same goes for a teaspoon of honey (4 to 5 grams) in your bowl of Greek yoghurt (200 grams of yoghurt is around 6 grams of carbs), which makes for a breakfast of around 10 grams of carbs.

Beware fructose. Metabolised by the liver then stored as liver fat. Livers regard it as toxic. Fatty liver = insulin resistance.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t think anyone has expressed being offended.
I can’t see anyone expressing offence either.
I guess you could interpret my answer as being offended, but only if you've never heard my remarks when I AM offended...
If it was meant as a funny remark, I don't think it is.

There are definitely foods I miss (bread!) but why would you tell people who are struggling with their diabetes and food choices that almost anything they like is a no? Most people like a lot of foods we can eat without a single thought about blood sugar!
It appears i have offended at least one 'snowflake'.
On the other hand, it can't be me because it's simply unthinkable to refer to me as a snowflake. No-one will believe that! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I do think there's lots of room for improvement on First Officers sarcastic jokes, though.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My comments were meant somewhat as a sarcastic lilt on my personal views to a degree. It appears i have offended at least one 'snowflake'. Get over it, its a sarcastic joke.
Can't be me
1 I haven't posted
2I don't know what a snowflake is
Carol