high blood glucose level for more than 24 hours

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
My dad recently has an episode likely for a few days after he was admitted to a hospital. This hospital basically gave its patients high carb diet three meals daily regardless of their diabetic status.

I learned a few new things about managing diabetes. 1) once a patient become physically inactive and on that hospital diet, within 1-2 days blood glucose level will sky rocket, but on the reverse within two days blood glucose can become same like before. 2) when blood glucose remain high, the patient will have very frequent urination (so why would people with elevated bgl for years ignore this tell tale sign?).

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Not everyone gets this 'telltale' sign. Some folks have multiple conditions which have similar symptoms so they may think 'Oh that's just my other condition'. I'm not sure that it is always the case that bg falls at the same rate it rises in every circumstance.

Reactions: millenium

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
I'm sure some people(well...me for one) just assume that more frequent urination is just one of those things that come with age.......I call it 'Slack Bladder' and no.......Rowan Atkinson did not star in that!!!

Reactions: millenium

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@millenium I assume your father has type 2 diabetes?
With type 1, the raised BG could be treated with insulin: not all people with diabetes are the same.

Previously at another hospital where my dad went to, their standard practice is to measure bgl before meal every time, if 7mmol or above no food will be given. If too high, nurse in inject insulin. In contrast, this new hospital that started operating barely for a few weeks seems to have this lapse. I will be writing to the minister of health to get his attention on this. It is estimated that half of my country population has blood glucose control problem.

Last edited:

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for your concern. He was discharged two weeks ago for stomach bleeding due to blood thinner. As of yesterday, his bg control is getting better after he started exercising once a day for 10-15mins starting three days ago. Fgl is 6.4, 2 hours post readings all below 8.5. He will be going out for a walk and some light exercises in around an hour time.

By the way, am i right to say only when bgl is around 10mmol then there will be glucose in the urine? Also, is it correct that even at max dose of metformin, it can only lower bgl by one mmol?