1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

high blood glucose level for more than 24 hours

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by millenium, Apr 15, 2019.

1. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

My dad recently has an episode likely for a few days after he was admitted to a hospital. This hospital basically gave its patients high carb diet three meals daily regardless of their diabetic status.

I learned a few new things about managing diabetes. 1) once a patient become physically inactive and on that hospital diet, within 1-2 days blood glucose level will sky rocket, but on the reverse within two days blood glucose can become same like before. 2) when blood glucose remain high, the patient will have very frequent urination (so why would people with elevated bgl for years ignore this tell tale sign?).

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

@millenium I assume your father has type 2 diabetes?
    With type 1, the raised BG could be treated with insulin: not all people with diabetes are the same.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Not everyone gets this 'telltale' sign. Some folks have multiple conditions which have similar symptoms so they may think 'Oh that's just my other condition'. I'm not sure that it is always the case that bg falls at the same rate it rises in every circumstance.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Traceymac23

Traceymac23 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm sure some people(well...me for one) just assume that more frequent urination is just one of those things that come with age.......I call it 'Slack Bladder' and no.......Rowan Atkinson did not star in that!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. millenium

Previously at another hospital where my dad went to, their standard practice is to measure bgl before meal every time, if 7mmol or above no food will be given. If too high, nurse in inject insulin. In contrast, this new hospital that started operating barely for a few weeks seems to have this lapse. I will be writing to the minister of health to get his attention on this. It is estimated that half of my country population has blood glucose control problem.

#5 millenium, Apr 15, 2019 at 8:05 PM
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  6. Kittycat_7_

Kittycat_7_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

7 isn't that high, some hospitals do offer diabetic foods.

7. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @millenium

I hope your father is feeling better? Is he home now?

8. millenium

Thanks for your concern. He was discharged two weeks ago for stomach bleeding due to blood thinner. As of yesterday, his bg control is getting better after he started exercising once a day for 10-15mins starting three days ago. Fgl is 6.4, 2 hours post readings all below 8.5. He will be going out for a walk and some light exercises in around an hour time.

By the way, am i right to say only when bgl is around 10mmol then there will be glucose in the urine? Also, is it correct that even at max dose of metformin, it can only lower bgl by one mmol?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook