Local Surgery - Another Piece of the Jigsaw

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a follow up appointment with the nurse after my recent FBG test results. Again it was very interesting with a lot being packed in to just a short appointment.

Firstly I am definitely registered as Prediabetic despite my recent blood test results and the nurse specifically checked this. The idea being to keep an eye on me on a “steady as we go” footing.

We noted a drop in my BMI which month on month is continuing to drop. And discussed my blood pressure readings and the drop in levels.

She looked at cholesterol and I sensed she wasn’t on confident ground there and simply quoted the figures and underlined they were normal which I knew about beforehand.

Then we turned to LCHF and David Unwin’s method. She explained that my goto GP presented the method to them all about 3 years ago. I then asked about why it might not have filtered through entirely at the practise and she went on to talk about changes happening so rapidly right now and that she found conflicts of opinion on some of the courses she has to attend.

My overall impression is that the whole thing at my local surgery is at a tipping point now where the flood gates will open soon enough on the method of dealing with T2 diabetes. Hopefully this will be the same all around the country.

@Goonergal We are I believe in the Katie Goulding Fylde catchment.

Last edited:

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I think that diabetic practice nurses are becoming more open minded. Mine has always been very good, but I can tell that she has also shifted her attitude somewhat, now believing that our treatment must be based on our individual results rather than the one-size-fits-all approach that I first met when I was diagnosed about three and a half years ago. It is websites like this one that have driven these attitude changes, as they may regard some of us improving by changing our lifestyles as "anecdotal evidence", but when that translates to thousands all improving their BG numbers by comparing notes and offering their own experiences it is very hard for the "authorities" to ignore.
Let us hope that the eatwell plate for diabetics finally smashes.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that diabetic practice nurses are becoming more open minded. Mine has always been very good, but I can tell that she has also shifted her attitude somewhat, now believing that our treatment must be based on our individual results rather than the one-size-fits-all approach that I first met when I was diagnosed about three and a half years ago. It is websites like this one that have driven these attitude changes, as they may regard some of us improving by changing our lifestyles as "anecdotal evidence", but when that translates to thousands all improving their BG numbers by comparing notes and offering their own experiences it is very hard for the "authorities" to ignore.
For sure. The website is a form of “rat laboratory” in that sense. :D

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My nurse is a low carber and very progressive in her thinking . No statins etc - she is also pre diabetic and has been for 23years - I'm lucky to have her :)
The nurse I saw today actually follows a Palaeo diet itself. Nice lady too with a good heart and helpful. I could see that she was caught a little between types of thinking on the whole topic of nutrition and diabetes, but she seemed to be comfortable with the fact that it was all heading in the right direction.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What it really boils down to is a distinct lack of will on the part of government and the medical community to change. Resistance to change is not only a fact in physics but also in human dynamics. When force becomes overwhelming, then a resting body will move but don't expect it to happen soon. There are many vested interests in the type 2 diabetes treatment arena and just because some of us have had success going against the grain (no pun intended) does not mean that 40 years of misinformation will go quietly into the night...

Reactions: Flora123 and HSSS

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked for an emergency appointment earlier this week as my foot was inflamed and swollen - for no reason I could see, nor could the doctor, but I got an emergency appointment by pulling the diabetes card on the receptionist.
The interview was very short - but I went out with the doctor staring at my record as shown on the screen of her computer as I had just told her my last two Hba1c results.
I doubt that she was on the phone to the Lancet as soon as my back was turned, but she was not a little astonished.
I felt better after just one tablet of the antibiotic, but I think that it was a wise precaution, as it could very well have been cellulitis, though I thought it started off as gout - the pain in my toe joint lasted five days in all. I will take all the antibiotic tablets, of course, but it seems to have been very effective.

Reactions: 1spuds

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Most people need to see something or be told about it at least five times by different people before they change their "belief system" . However much one of us tells a doctor/nurce we will still be a "one off" until other pt get the same sort of results.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The Eatwell Plate for diabetes could be destroyed in a month in my view. All "we" would have to do is some of the below for example:
  • Have a baseline of foods that work for around 80% of Type 2's - easily sorted by a voting mechanism e.g. I would guess that omnivore based diet controlled Type 2's would say both bacon and eggs work.
  • We would need to agreed our request(s). E.g. LCHF, Keto, Low Calorie (Newcastle Diet) should be offered, trained perhaps online as a first call
  • Support advocates perhaps by a forum (this one?) should be on hand to offer help and support.
This is just my set of rough ideas. But we would need to setup an online petition, all use social network at exactly the same time, all send emails at the same time to the press and TV. This recipe might work or at the very least catch attention.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Eatwell Plate for diabetes could be destroyed in a month in my view. All "we" would have to do is some of the below for example:
  • Have a baseline of foods that work for around 80% of Type 2's - easily sorted by a voting mechanism e.g. I would guess that omnivore based diet controlled Type 2's would say both bacon and eggs work.
  • We would need to agreed our request(s). E.g. LCHF, Keto, Low Calorie (Newcastle Diet) should be offered, trained perhaps online as a first call
  • Support advocates perhaps by a forum (this one?) should be on hand to offer help and support.
This is just my set of rough ideas. But we would need to setup an online petition, all use social network at exactly the same time, all send emails at the same time to the press and TV. This recipe might work or at the very least catch attention.
What you just proposed there (point 1 above) is something I would advocate and tried to put over quite a while back but it was deleted at the time. I was going to message you with the fine detail of a workable plan. :D

@Mbaker Message me if you would like input. I was going to put it to my local surgery next week anyway.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ultimately it wouldn’t be dependent on a supporting forum. It could all be dealt with, with clever software. I have seen software out there that would knock yer socks off so finding a trained practice nurse to run it would be the other part of the solution.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most people need to see something or be told about it at least five times by different people before they change their "belief system" . However much one of us tells a doctor/nurce we will still be a "one off" until other pt get the same sort of results.
There are several groups of medical professionals who are trying to get the message out that changing diet and monitoring blood sugars should be primary first line mechanisms for initial T2D management, but it seems that there are splits even among those groups regarding the implementation of a dietary plan. One only has to google and you'll get vegans, carnivores, and even middle of the road groups at each other's throats over their particular regimes. Any T2D management scheme that actually works is what is needed, but many special interest groups are not looking at the suffering patients, only their status in the advertising battle to get funding and support. Fortunately, most of us here know what treatment actions actually work for the T2D majority and we are doing something positive about it without the benefit of prestigious organizations' moral and financial support. Eventually the rest of the T2D world will realize that like the old myth of surviving a nuclear war, "duck and cover" is not a viable solution in the T2D treatment wars. I'll stop ranting now...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
...but many special interest groups are not looking at the suffering patients, only their status in the advertising battle to get funding and support. Fortunately, most of us here know what treatment actions actually work for the T2D majority and we are doing something positive about it without the benefit of prestigious organizations' moral and financial support. ..

Agreed. That’s quite funny as that applies across the board. No pun intended.