Driving

parkinsonryan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 diabetic I need to ring the DVLA and tell them will I get my car license taking of me I really don't want to loose my licence I am on levimir 2 times a day and novorapid 3 times a day thanks

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Are you newly diagnosed? It’s just a routine thing, they’ll ask you to fill in a medical declaration, and then you'll have to renew it every three years. They may check with your doctor, but it’s all pretty routine stuff.

parkinsonryan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you newly diagnosed? It’s just a routine thing, they’ll ask you to fill in a medical declaration, and then you'll have to renew it every three years. They may check with your doctor, but it’s all pretty routine stuff.
So I probably won't loose it

D

Deleted Account

You must tell the DVLA and your insurers. If you manage your diabetes well and do not have hypos requiring assistance, you will get a restricted 3 year license.
If you do not tell them, you are uninsured (and maybe breaking the law) every time you drive.

parkinsonryan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You must tell the DVLA and your insurers. If you manage your diabetes well and do not have hypos requiring assistance, you will get a restricted 3 year license.
If you do not tell them, you are uninsured (and maybe breaking the law) every time you drive.
I haven't been driving I have only been diagnosed 1 week just need to ring in the next day or so

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So I probably won't loose it
No, probably not! I’ve been T1 20 years, diagnosed at 23 - and there’s never been an issue with either my car or motorcycle licence in that time. We just renew them every three years. There’s only problems if you have debilitating hypos or lose awareness of when they start. I’m even in the process of applying for my bus/lorry licence!

And welcome to the club none of us wanted to join, you’ll find lots of help and support here x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Have you had any hypos (low blood sugar episodes) yet? Three important things re hypos and driving
1) you have hypo awareness so that you recognise when a hypo occurs and treat it. You need to not have needed help from others to recover from a daytime hypo.
2) Always do a blood test before you get in the car to drive (and don't if you're too low).
3) Always have sugar (glucose, jelly babies whatever) with you when you drive so you can stop and treat yourself if you feel low,

Number 1 will ensure you keep your license, numbers 2 and 3 will ensure you don't hurt yourself or anyone else when driving. Driving when hypo kills.

akccoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have checked our car insurance policies and there is no requirement to declare my husbands newly acquired type 3c diabetes to them. It just says that he should have a licence to drive, which the DVLA have confirmed they are issuing.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I haven't been driving I have only been diagnosed 1 week just need to ring in the next day or so
I passed my test as a Type 1 in 1988. Every 3 years I have to fill out complicated medical questionnaires from DVLA. I quickly learnt to keep every report from Hospital/Surgery/and Diabetic Eye Screening tests. I also kept (and still do!) every piece of correspondence from the DVLA. I also photocopy everything I send to them. It is now 6 years since I had a pancreas/kidney transplant, but the DVLA computers do not understand. They keep sending me the forms in spite of the fact that I have sent letters from 3 clinics stating that I no longer receive treatment for Type 1 or any other form of diabetes! Only this morning they acknowledged that I had applied for a licence renewal, but they would need to get in touch with my kidney transplant man first.
Thank God I have all the info in one place! I wish you happy driving and agree with others who have said that good control is paramount. Regardless of the DVLA you want to stay alive!

GJ300

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 diabetic I need to ring the DVLA and tell them will I get my car license taking of me I really don't want to loose my licence I am on levimir 2 times a day and novorapid 3 times a day thanks
No way, it may just require an appointment (review) with your GP every couple of years. Renew your license every year and just disclose if you have a serious hypo etc. I had the same anxiety, but it will be fine.

GJ300

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No way, it may just require an appointment (review) with your GP every couple of years. Renew your license every year and just disclose if you have a serious hypo etc. I had the same anxiety, but it will be fine.
Sorry: Renew the license every 3 years... bit of paperwork