1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Driving

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by parkinsonryan, Apr 20, 2019.

1. parkinsonryan

parkinsonryan Type 1 · Member

I am type 1 diabetic I need to ring the DVLA and tell them will I get my car license taking of me I really don't want to loose my licence I am on levimir 2 times a day and novorapid 3 times a day thanks

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

3. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Are you newly diagnosed? It’s just a routine thing, they’ll ask you to fill in a medical declaration, and then you'll have to renew it every three years. They may check with your doctor, but it’s all pretty routine stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. parkinsonryan

So I probably won't loose it

5. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

You must tell the DVLA and your insurers. If you manage your diabetes well and do not have hypos requiring assistance, you will get a restricted 3 year license.
    If you do not tell them, you are uninsured (and maybe breaking the law) every time you drive.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. parkinsonryan

7. parkinsonryan

I haven't been driving I have only been diagnosed 1 week just need to ring in the next day or so

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No, probably not! I’ve been T1 20 years, diagnosed at 23 - and there’s never been an issue with either my car or motorcycle licence in that time. We just renew them every three years. There’s only problems if you have debilitating hypos or lose awareness of when they start. I’m even in the process of applying for my bus/lorry licence!

And welcome to the club none of us wanted to join, you’ll find lots of help and support here x

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have you had any hypos (low blood sugar episodes) yet? Three important things re hypos and driving
    1) you have hypo awareness so that you recognise when a hypo occurs and treat it. You need to not have needed help from others to recover from a daytime hypo.
    2) Always do a blood test before you get in the car to drive (and don't if you're too low).
    3) Always have sugar (glucose, jelly babies whatever) with you when you drive so you can stop and treat yourself if you feel low,

Number 1 will ensure you keep your license, numbers 2 and 3 will ensure you don't hurt yourself or anyone else when driving. Driving when hypo kills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook