I can eat the world feeling

azad1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Folks,
I am after some advice if anyone ever faced.
I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2017 and managing well with metformin, diet and exercise. But for a few weeks, I have a little issue on hunger. Let's say, I had two slices of wholemeal bread in the morning, around 07:30 hrs. At around 10:30 to 11:00 hrs I feel very hungry. If I do not eat anything, I see nothing in my eyes and cannot stand at all. When it happens, I feel like I can eat the whole world.
Has anyone had or have this kind of issue? How do you manage it or managed to overcome this problem?
Please note, I am bike regular bike rider and rides around 20 miles 5 days a week (in the evening).
Many thanks in advance.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like you’re getting a crash after a carby breakfast. Are you testing your levels before and after eating? Most T2’s can’t tolerate carbs.

Try eating protein and fat for breakfast for a week instead.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Have you considered a diet lower in carbs (your bread is high in carbs as are rice, pasta, potatoes etc) and higher in healthy fats (healthy fats leave you satisfied for longer)?

Could you clarify, do you have problems with blurred vision? Do you use a blood glucose monitor at home?

azad1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@wiflib and @Guzzler
Thank you for your input. I have checked my glucose level every time I feel hungry and it shows under 6 most of the time.
When I feel hunger, my head doesn't work and cannot think about anything apart from food.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@wiflib and @Guzzler
Thank you for your input. I have checked my glucose level every time I feel hungry and it shows under 6 most of the time.
When I feel hunger, my head doesn't work and cannot think about anything apart from food.

Carbohydrates will leave you hungrier sooner. As has been suggested, try a meal higher in protein and healthy fats leaving out such things as bread. Eat until you satisfied and you will see the difference.

For testing, test before the first bite of food then again two hours after the first bite. The difference between the two readings should be no more than 2mmol preferably less than that. Any more of a difference shows you that there was too much carbohydrate in that meal.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@wiflib and @Guzzler

That would suggest that your numbers are running high and you are experiencing a false hypo but you’ll only know if you test properly.

Reactions: 1spuds

azad1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your quick reply.
Please, can you name some of the protein and high in good fat-rich you are referring? I will try from tonight.

That would suggest that your numbers are running high and you are experiencing a false hypo but you’ll only know if you test properly.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Egg and bacon maybe? eggs cooked in butter

...or if you don’t fancy cooking how about some cold meats and cheese, in fact, anything you fancy as long as it’s not carbs.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I travel with cold chicken, avocado and mayo in a tub. Peanuts and scratchings have seen me through a few flights. Can never have too much cheese!