1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I can eat the world feeling

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by azad1983, Apr 23, 2019.

1. azad1983

azad1983 Type 2 · Member

Hi Folks,
    I am after some advice if anyone ever faced.
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2017 and managing well with metformin, diet and exercise. But for a few weeks, I have a little issue on hunger. Let's say, I had two slices of wholemeal bread in the morning, around 07:30 hrs. At around 10:30 to 11:00 hrs I feel very hungry. If I do not eat anything, I see nothing in my eyes and cannot stand at all. When it happens, I feel like I can eat the whole world.
    Has anyone had or have this kind of issue? How do you manage it or managed to overcome this problem?
    Please note, I am bike regular bike rider and rides around 20 miles 5 days a week (in the evening).
    Many thanks in advance.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Sounds like you’re getting a crash after a carby breakfast. Are you testing your levels before and after eating? Most T2’s can’t tolerate carbs.

Try eating protein and fat for breakfast for a week instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Have you considered a diet lower in carbs (your bread is high in carbs as are rice, pasta, potatoes etc) and higher in healthy fats (healthy fats leave you satisfied for longer)?

Could you clarify, do you have problems with blurred vision? Do you use a blood glucose monitor at home?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. azad1983

azad1983 Type 2 · Member

@wiflib and @Guzzler
    Thank you for your input. I have checked my glucose level every time I feel hungry and it shows under 6 most of the time.
    When I feel hunger, my head doesn't work and cannot think about anything apart from food.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Carbohydrates will leave you hungrier sooner. As has been suggested, try a meal higher in protein and healthy fats leaving out such things as bread. Eat until you satisfied and you will see the difference.

For testing, test before the first bite of food then again two hours after the first bite. The difference between the two readings should be no more than 2mmol preferably less than that. Any more of a difference shows you that there was too much carbohydrate in that meal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. wiflib

That would suggest that your numbers are running high and you are experiencing a false hypo but you’ll only know if you test properly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. azad1983

azad1983 Type 2 · Member

Thanks for your quick reply.
    Please, can you name some of the protein and high in good fat-rich you are referring? I will try from tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Egg and bacon maybe? eggs cooked in butter

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. wiflib

...or if you don’t fancy cooking how about some cold meats and cheese, in fact, anything you fancy as long as it’s not carbs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I travel with cold chicken, avocado and mayo in a tub. Peanuts and scratchings have seen me through a few flights. Can never have too much cheese!

• Like Like x 1
  11. 1spuds

1spuds Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook