Confused and in need of guidance

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot see any logic whatsoever of dry fasting and certainly not in terms of Diabetes management. My Muslim friends say that not eating is not a problem, it is the not drinking that causes discomfort.

I believe the dry fasting is supposed to accelerate autophagy and/or possibly weight loss. Not necessarily part of diabetes management. I also think it is only done for short periods. I recall people talking about doing it for 12-18 hrs. Much like the religious fasting of Ramadan (? can’t spell, sorry).

As I said, I doubt it is something I would do. It is just interesting, especially since I seem to see more people recommending it and talking about it’s benefits vs those of water fasting.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I believe the dry fasting is supposed to accelerate autophagy and/or possibly weight loss. Not necessarily part of diabetes management. I also think it is only done for short periods. I recall people talking about doing it for 12-18 hrs. Much like the religious fasting of Ramadan (? can’t spell, sorry).

As I said, I doubt it is something I would do. It is just interesting, especially since I seem to see more people recommending it and talking about it’s benefits vs those of water fasting.

The science in autophagy is very young. It is my understanding that autophagy would need about 48 hours to be triggered therefore dry fasting would for that long would be ill advised.

Edit to add.

Not altogether convinced about Walter Longo's Fasting Mimicking Diet, sorry.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry Bildad, I am derailing your thread with comments about autophagy (its how I term Good Housekeeping for the body).
I shall stop now.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's OK. It is not something that I can see myself ever doing. I am finding a 16:8 way of life is suiting me so far. There is a lot of head changes for me at the moment.
Not eating breakfast
Eating Fats
Not eating grains etc
Cutting out sugar I was / am sugar addicted.
It seems to be completely opposite to what I have done for the last 50+ years. Old habits take quite a lot of unlearning but I am getting there 1 step at a time.
The encouraging part is that it is working- I am losing weight and my bg numbers are amazing. So I will keep on going!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May be relevant - a new video of Mike Mutzel at Low Carb San Diego on Fasting, Autophagy and Exercise: