Type 1'stars R Us

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A couple of my relatives have the Southend postcode, they live in Basildon and Wickford,so maybe that doesn't count ? never been to Southend myself.

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Southend sounds a looooong way from home. I think I'd rather dunk! I don't mind dunking Sainsbury's own version of Hob Knobs (vegan) but I dunno about Rich Tea. I shall consult the Womble, who is the Oracle of all things vegan in the UK.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of my relatives have the Southend postcode, they live in Basildon and Wickford,so maybe that doesn't count ? never been to Southend myself.
Do they know whether the biscuits as soggy dunked, or dry and crisp, though?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do they know whether the biscuits as soggy dunked, or dry and crisp, though?

That is a good question, I could get a family member to Facebook them ( I am NOT randomly asking them, because they will think I have really lost it lol o_O:hilarious:)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is a good question, I could get a family member to Facebook them ( I am NOT randomly asking them, because they will think I have really lost it lol o_O:hilarious:)
Yes, I agree, it is a bit random. Funny how stuff becomes important, when it really isn’t. Especially as I don’t eat biscuits. Southend biscuit query will remain one of lifes little mysteries to me.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't and won't dunk and I'm going nowhere near Southend. :smug:
Tea is tea and biscuits are biscuits and they shouldn't meet outside of the stomach.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DSN said she would do me a letter. I am off to Turkey again in Sept and security is VERY tight there. Never had any probs with my insulin and needles etc there BUT would allow them thru the Xray machine :)

Hi @porl69 I am off to Turkey in just over 3 weeks but on this occasion will not be taking my pump. i just feel it is too m uch stuff to take, all of the pump spares plus pens insulin etc as back up. I will come off the pump a few days before i go to get back in routine for injections and make any necessary adjustments

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @porl69 I am off to Turkey in just over 3 weeks but on this occasion will not be taking my pump. i just feel it is too m uch stuff to take, all of the pump spares plus pens insulin etc as back up. I will come off the pump a few days before i go to get back in routine for injections and make any necessary adjustments

You know you are allowed an extra carry on/hand luggage because of your T1D. Just contact the airline and they will make the relevant adjustments to your ticket.
What part of Turkey are you off to??

Reactions: Robinredbreast

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rich tea biscuits! Yuk! Only thing I could stomach when pregnant (hospitalised hyperemesis) used to nibble one over an hours period.
@helensaramay Have found Lidl’s Hobnobs to be less sweet and less salty. Called Oaties not Hob Nobs. Don’t eat biscuits as a rule but occasionally have one of these if a little low.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If there is anyone from Southend, please can you enlighten me as to whether or not you eat crunchy biscuits? :)
@Pipp .....most definitely crunchy.....can’t stand a soggy biscuit....and preferably containing or coated with chocolate....:)

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Robinredbreast ....spent my childhood and grew up in the second of those so know it well....not far from Southend where we live close to now....I haven’t moved far....:)

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 I get your point about all the pump stuff you have to take with you when you go away.
Personally, I decided it was worth it because, when I go away I need to vary my basal more than usual ... because I exercise more constantly. But I get that you want a break.
One thing I realised when I was forced back to injections (due to pump failure) was I needed my basal injection as soon as I stopped the pump because I had no basal on board. From then on, I had to remember my basal at that time of day which was an inconvenient 3pm.
Given you are choosing to return to MDI, my hint would be to remove your pump at the time you want to do (and remember to do) your basal injections.

Thanks @helensaramay , as always great advice from yourself.

Before I go on holiday to Turkey is about 3 weeks I am flying from Stansted to Glasgow, so I will see how my experience of scanners goes.

Other minor concerns are i will on a fairly hot country, typically around 30+ each day, so will be in and out of pool and swimming sea constantly. Not sure how strong the adhesive will remain on cannula. Will be using plenty of sun cream as well so not sure if this will affect adhesive.

Also the high temps, will this maybe have an effect on insulin within reservoir

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know you are allowed an extra carry on/hand luggage because of your T1D. Just contact the airline and they will make the relevant adjustments to your ticket.
What part of Turkey are you off to??

Hi @porl69 I was not aware of that until today when I was reading other parts of the forum.

I am off to Icmeler, where i have been going for many years, love the place so relaxed and laid back as well as safe and clean resort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tea is awesome !! it's the cuppa that has helped me through some rough and sad times and friendly warm chats with laughter, it's an all rounder :happy:
Coffee is nice too, if I am out and about I get a coffee because most places serve disgusting tea and expensive too for a lack- lustre tea bag, in some hot water with a splash of milk :wideyed::banghead::mad:

It's just not British, what oh :D

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your surgery sounds a lot like mine @Japes. We've taken to dropping prescription requests in through the letterbox at least ten days early! Gives us a fighting chance of getting the mistakes sorted out before the drugs are actually needed....

My GP is utterly awesome, so I can cope with the odd bits of incompetence from everyone else, as the awesomeness makes up for the rest! Which is a total change around in 18 months since I began seeing this particular GP when the DSN I had been mostly seeing left. I was on the verge of changing practice at that point.

I've not yet settled on a regular pharmacy, but am just about to now I'm all sorted with the on-line stuff, as long as Utterly Sensible Pharmacy Assistant who is usually on in the evenings (the time I usually toddle along to collect things) remains with them.

Between them, they've minimised the mistakes!