can I use the lancets more than once ?

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to test on the pad of my finger but now i use the side cos it really hurts lol , but i am using the same lancet have not changed it for a while now its not blunt yet lol

Reactions: GrahamHamblin
D

Deleted member 308541

Agree with the oldies here - no need to change too often.
I box of Multiclix lancets is about the same price as two cups of arteephartee latte's, at the Atrium Cafe at the private hospital down the road.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I box of Multiclix lancets is about the same price as two cups of arteephartee latte's, at the Atrium Cafe at the private hospital down the road.

OK - so what you intend to say is if you reuse, you can afford a few more coffees...or...;)

D

Deleted member 308541

OK - so what you intend to say is if you reuse, you can afford a few more coffees...or...;)
...if you stop drinking them you can afford to buy the lancets.

I drink black coffee when I go there price is around $4.50 for a black coffee.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
...if you stop drinking them you can afford to buy the lancets.

I drink black coffee when I go there price is around $4.50 for a black coffee.

Have to admit - I got a little scared when you began with "if you stop drinking...",:angelic:
Agree that black coffee, but with maybe some spices like cardamom, cinnamon or vanilla is not so bad either...:)

OK - I'm back on track now...

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I change my lancet roughly every month or two.. Gets to a point where I get no blood so need to change

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm also in the 'change it when it starts to feel blunt' club.
With me, I wipe my finger with a little alcohol, then use the shallowest effective setting on the lancet- the needle hits and no blood comes out until I give the area a little squeeze, so I can't really see there being too much in the way of germs and contamination going on.
I suppose if you had any kind of compromised immune system or if you get the lancets bloodied then you should change them every time, but otherwise, it seems ok for most to reuse.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm also in the 'change it when it starts to feel blunt' club.
With me, I wipe my finger with a little alcohol, then use the shallowest effective setting on the lancet- the needle hits and no blood comes out until I give the area a little squeeze, so I can't really see there being too much in the way of germs and contamination going on.
I suppose if you had any kind of compromised immune system or if you get the lancets bloodied then you should change them every time, but otherwise, it seems ok for most to reuse.
Just a heads up, alcohol wipes can affect your readings, edited to add journal reference.

3C88CA34-C312-48EA-86CA-359448DE2AF7.jpeg

Last edited:

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just a heads up, alcohol wipes can affect your readings, edited to add journal reference.

View attachment 32558
Yes, thanks: that's actually a good point. I let my fingers blow bone dry before I test and I haven't noticed any big difference when I use alcohol or just soap and water, but you are right: that's something new testers should definitely be aware of.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You will get many varied answers on this subject. I use a Fastclix with the drum cylinder with 6 lancets in it. I change drum every 3 days....
I only change the drums when they've all got blunt.. I got a box of 200 drums five years ago and haven't yet used them all...and But it's what you feel comfortable doing.

It's the strips that are the expensive part and unfortunately you can't re-use them!:wideyed:

And @Charis1213 - I always use my finger pad - it's a case of :inpain:OUCH!!:inpain: if I try using the side instead.

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only change the drums when they've all got blunt.. I got a box of 200 drums five years ago and haven't yet used them all...and But it's what you feel comfortable doing.

It's the strips that are the expensive part and unfortunately you can't re-use them!:wideyed:

And @Charis1213 - I always use my finger pad - it's a case of :inpain:OUCH!!:inpain: if I try using the side instead.

Robbity

Everything you wrote in your post could have been written by me!!!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 32558
I agree, I just wash my hands in plain hot water, no soap or if I’m out and about I use Diawipes, mini wet wipes soaked in 0.9% sodium chloride which doesn’t affect glucose readings:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EN2B8Z2/?coliid=I3O1RITUTO6BG7&colid=1O3CSZ2REKHFC&psc=0
Back to the OP’s question, I change my lancets each day after my last test.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Ch-change my what now? I used to go months. I mean the current box in the house is dated 2 years ago and it from my mum's prescription. There are the two of us in the house. It is weird though. If I go on holiday I'll take 20 of them! Currently I am changing mine more often because there is a bag in my desk drawer because I've been using them to lancet a problem with my toe.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ch-change my what now? I used to go months. I mean the current box in the house is dated 2 years ago and it from my mum's prescription. There are the two of us in the house. It is weird though. If I go on holiday I'll take 20 of them! Currently I am changing mine more often because there is a bag in my desk drawer because I've been using them to lancet a problem with my toe.

Erm,........... only saying, but is poking a foot problem with a lancet a great idea?

Lancets are just great for dealing with splinters though. :)

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Erm,........... only saying, but is poking a foot problem with a lancet a great idea?

Lancets are just great for dealing with splinters though. :)

I am basically just using it as a small enough needle to release the puss as advised by Doctors. Then I turn it over and it is small enough to nudge the skin back while I clip the nail trying to grow in the wrong place. GP is keeping an eye on it and always in consultation.