Oh dear I got fat again.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Probably the veg, you have to be careful some are as carb heavy as potato, more so. Carrot and swede for example.

Fish can be a bit light on fat to, good for the protein but without the fat, you may be getting a glucose thump from the veg without the fat to satisfy or slow the glucose hit which may not be all that high but if you have been a constant 4 ish all day then get up to 7 (still good) the body may see that as a big jump from the norm and react. That could have you reaching for the munchies.

I love fish but it never really leaves me satisfied I normally have it with something.

Reactions: jjraak

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probably the veg, you have to be careful some are as carb heavy as potato, more so. Carrot and swede for example.

Fish can be a bit light on fat to, good for the protein but without the fat, you may be getting a glucose thump from the veg without the fat to satisfy or slow the glucose hit which may not be all that high but if you have been a constant 4 ish all day then get up to 7 (still good) the body may see that as a big jump from the norm and react. That could have you reaching for the munchies.

I love fish but it never really leaves me satisfied I normally have it with something.

I’m the same with fish, love the stuff but have to have lots of fat with it.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Then I seem to become ravenous, completely driven to eat ,salty snacks and cheese follows.
I eat salty snacks while watching tv. more through boredom than hunger. You could try pitted black olives. I found they go well with red wine and are not fattening. I need to buy a couple of jars. They are quite cheap in the local Mediterranean store, £2 for two large jars.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat salty snacks while watching tv. more through boredom than hunger. You could try pitted black olives. I found they go well with red wine and are not fattening. I need to buy a couple of jars. They are quite cheap in the local Mediterranean store, £2 for two large jars.
I thought all olives are high in calories but low in carbs that is why they are recommended here. I eat a lot of green ones not to keen on the black variety

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.

Agree with the boredom bit, for me I chop up some chorizo or polish sausage, just dried pork. With a really strong cheddar, hmmm, maybe a handful of peanuts too.
Only allowed on the weekend though. Took a pot of the above last time I went to the pictures.

Reactions: jjraak and Prem51

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep that's why they aren't fattening...

Bacon popcorn is another one to go to.

Cut up bacon bits (I got three massive packs in Iceland for 89p each) and fry until desired consistency. I like mine almost biltong like.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately our bodies do try to return to their previous levels of fat stored due to homeostasis (which is more complex than I can explain here, but Jason Fung explains it very well in his books).

It's why, among other factors, most of us regain weight that had been lost, even sometimes after a period of years.

I'm a dyed in the wool regainer, and as others have said here, mixing it up seems to be a good way to combat the homeostasis driven regaining. I use intermittent fasts with as good a low carb high fat diet as I can manage - it is working so far!

Reactions: Prem51

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
My name is Snod and I am a nut addict! I used to be able to limit myself to one packet of Aldi salted mixed nuts per week. Now it can be one packet a day! Hence 2kg heavier than this time last year.
I have just done a 45 mile walk on the Gower Peninsula in Wales and interestingly not a single nut passed my lips. It is definitely an 'eat nuts in front of TV' problem and I will just have to stop buying them.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m the same with fish, love the stuff but have to have lots of fat with it.
I often wonder if cod deep fried in batter in a chip shop might not spike badly because of the fat, ie. raise BG gradually. Have you ever tried it?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My name is Snod and I am a nut addict! I used to be able to limit myself to one packet of Aldi salted mixed nuts per week. Now it can be one packet a day! Hence 2kg heavier than this time last year.
I have just done a 45 mile walk on the Gower Peninsula in Wales and interestingly not a single nut passed my lips. It is definitely an 'eat nuts in front of TV' problem and I will just have to stop buying them.

I can buy them, but opening them makes them vapourise.

Unfortunately, I don't get on entirely well with nuts, so there is an element of self-limiting goes on.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I often wonder if cod deep fried in batter in a chip shop might not spike badly because of the fat, ie. raise BG gradually. Have you ever tried it?

No. There’s no way I’m eating white flour fried in seed oil!

Besides, if I were going to do that it would never be dry and chewy cod, it would be a moist Huss.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nuts are my vice too. I'm a fair bit heavier than this time last year and i know they're to blame.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. There’s no way I’m eating white flour fried in seed oil!

Besides, if I were going to do that it would never be dry and chewy cod, it would be a moist Huss.
Ah, thought it wouldnt be a good idea. Disagree about the cod though!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I have one sometimes, with peas. No chips. I scrape all the batter off and spread some butter into the fish. I do eat bits and pieces of the crispy ends of the batter! My blood sugars are fine with it. I don't like the fact they are fried in vegetable oils though, but once in a while I can forgive myself.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one sometimes, with peas. No chips. I scrape all the batter off and spread some butter into the fish. I do eat bits and pieces of the crispy ends of the batter! My blood sugars are fine with it. I don't like the fact they are fried in vegetable oils though, but once in a while I can forgive myself.
Interesting. Thanks Bluetit, as always.

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What's wrong with salted peanuts ???I eat nobby which has just 2.5 g carb per serve and I can't live without my peanuts please guide me why they are bad???

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's wrong with salted peanuts ???I eat nobby which has just 2.5 g carb per serve and I can't live without my peanuts please guide me why they are bad???

They’re bad because some of us can’t stick to one or two handfuls and eat a big pack all in one go :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: