What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 what a lovely scene! Countryside like that is one of the reasons why I want to move away from the city to a small town in the mountains.

FBG 6.4 this morning. Last night BG was around 5.5, so I think that it's the late-night snacking that is putting up my FBGs the next morning. Or not, diabetes being what it is. Or is not. So now I will try to keep any bedtime snacking to meat or other protein, and see how that affects FBG.

@dunelm I just started a sample reading of The Last Kingdom, which starts out at Bamburgh. It was a short-lived TV series here some years ago; I just found the e-book on my local library's website.

Partly cloudy and 24 degrees here; a little cooler and cloudier in Kentucky, with rain in the forecast. I hope it won't rain for the Kentucky Derby. As usual my virtual money will be on one of the greys.

Hi @SaskiaKC - yes, I know the books and also the TV series. Here is a picture of us from today at Bamburgh.

Attachments

• DBEBEA99-0ABF-45DF-A3AB-D4DD566CA6A1.jpeg
    DBEBEA99-0ABF-45DF-A3AB-D4DD566CA6A1.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 113

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@karen8967 @SaskiaKC @jjraak @PenguinMum it really was a lovely start to the day, I sat far too long watching it really. I never shut my bedroom blinds here as there’s nothing behind us and It’s wonderful being woken up by the sun coming in. The view from the bedroom in our London house was of 8 lock up garages - quite a difference.
Not long now PM are you ticking off the days yet?
@ianpspurs trust you!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@karen8967 @SaskiaKC @jjraak @PenguinMum it really was a lovely start to the day, I sat far too long watching it really. I never shut my bedroom blinds here as there’s nothing behind us and It’s wonderful being woken up by the sun coming in. The view from the bedroom in our London house was of 8 lock up garages - quite a difference.
Not long now PM are you ticking off the days yet?
@ianpspurs trust you!

I'm up high in my apartment building and I never close my curtains. I look out onto a sea of green trees all the way to the horizon. I love watching the trees through the seasons, and the KittenCat enjoys watching the hawks and crows and bumblebees. This coming week the window washers will be here and we have been told to remember to close our windows. I must remember to close my curtains!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm up high in my apartment building and I never close my curtains. I look out onto a sea of green trees all the way to the horizon. I love watching the trees through the seasons, and the KittenCat enjoys watching the hawks and crows and bumblebees. This coming week the window washers will be here and we have been told to remember to close our windows. I must remember to close my curtains!

Oh gosh yes! I’ve had that embarrassing encounter when I wasn’t expecting the window cleaners - suddenly there’s a man outside. Think we were both a bit horrified!

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh gosh yes! I’ve had that embarrassing encounter when I wasn’t expecting the window cleaners - suddenly there’s a man outside. Think we were both a bit horrified!
Currently, we really have no need to draw curtains or blinds except to keep sun off of tv or eyes - will miss that degree of privacy.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Currently, we really have no need to draw curtains or blinds except to keep sun off of tv or eyes - will miss that degree of privacy.

Yes I expect you will, I’m doing the opposite and am revelling in leaving windows exposed.
When oldest daughter comes over she insists on drawing curtains as she doesn’t like the thought of all the darkness outside. Think she’s watched too many scary films.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

And then there was the time the Meals on Wheels man came to deliver my lunch and I was in the shower ...

And the bathroom is just inside the front door of my apartment!
surprised.gif
lol.gif

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Crew in the crow's nest reports sighting of what appears to be a white jersey with some red symbols on it, too tattered to be certain, appearing and disappearing among the gumbo-limbo trees on an upland ...

"Aye, Cap'n, that there's a Spurs jersey; ain't no way that can be Sir @jjraak ..."

WHAT !!

Does this mean what i THINK it means...:wideyed:

@ianpspurs is on the FARSIDE of the island...:watching:

My god, i hope he is careful and has some knowledge of the Keto warriors, every one speaks of, in hushed tones.
people say they only eat meat, some say it must be raw.
even others say they eat strangers who come into their lands uninvited.

tell him to be careful.
me, i'm staying well hidden in the bushes, only foraging at night, until i get to see one, for myself.

Folks say they are 7ft tall..with one eye in the centre of their forehead, that they can see and smell a meaty dinner a mile off.:greedy:

all myths and folklore probably, but until then, i'm playing it safe...:bag:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
WHAT !!

Does this mean what i THINK it means...:wideyed:

@ianpspurs is on the FARSIDE of the island...:watching:

My god, i hope he is careful and has some knowledge of the Keto warriors, every one speaks of, in hushed tones.
people say they only eat meat, some say it must be raw.
even others say they eat strangers who come into their lands uninvited.

tell him to be careful.
me, i'm staying well hidden in the bushes, only foraging at night, until i get to see one, for myself.

Folks say they are 7ft tall..with one eye in the centre of their forehead, that they can see and smell a meaty dinner a mile off.:greedy:

all myths and folklore probably, but until then, i'm playing it safe...:bag:
Worry ye not. The shirt belongs to my cousin Givenupon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And then there was the time the Meals on Wheels man came to deliver my lunch and I was in the shower ...

And the bathroom is just inside the front door of my apartment!
surprised.gif
lol.gif

Noooo!!!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if it is slightly off colour and ends "now where do you want your blinds", then yes, it is

Yes, that's the one!
lol.gif

Watching the pre-race doings at Churchill Downs -- some of y'all would have done well on the quiz where racegoers were given a word or phrase and asked to guess if it was a horse's name or a GOT term.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yehhhhh! :D

I heard a knock; I called, "Yes, who is it?" and a MAN's voice called back, "Meals on Wheels!"

So I turned the water off -- smart move that, not -- because of course he could probably hear it stop -- and asked him to just please hang the bag on the doorknob. He was probably as glad to get away as I was to have him go!

And I've never seen him since that day -- he was a substitute, so he probably went looking for a different volunteer job. :D

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The FORBIDDEN ZONE

"..I've been on this infernal island 6 months now,
Rescue is long past my expectations,
the powers that be, i feel ...have long abandoned their search & rescue mission for me
I know, God don't i now KNOW it :bigtears:,...but my only hope of survival, in fact, my ONLY hope ..
IS making do with the implements and food to hand, to survive long enough to escape some how, some way, by my own devices

Have seen plenty of signs of danger, to make me fully aware, that, THAT is not guaranteed.

Spotted lots of Complications running about, small hideous creatures, that try to burrow deep into your skin when they find an opening, bringing their germs and viruses into your blood stream,
i am constantly vigilant for them
( man could lose a toe or worse quite easily...and that could spell disaster for me, here.)

So with one eye on them, i also try to tread carefully around the insects and bugs i call glucose, good to eat, tasty too, and they seem innocent enough... but early days i learned to my cost the smallest over ingestion or even just a brush against some, can cause spikes and wreak havoc.

After a goods nights sleep last night, i awoke to the daybreak, eyes wide in the early gloom,, as i thought i heard danger..but it passed ok...i'm aware of feeling 'off', something about my blood is different this morning.

I look a round me, now fully awake, and i see, i'm back, deep in the jungle growth.

I slept up in the trees, away from some of the dangers, meter in hand, last night.
i slip off the rope i used to tie myself in, and climb down the tree,

Back on terra firma, i once again, begin my cutting through the bush, in search of a mythical place i
vaguely remember hearing other talk of wistfully, as... REMISSION.

The journey once started has proven tough, but it has eased in some way, despite that.

I know what your thinking ..it's a barren island, how do you have the energy to chop through the undergrowth of thick growing Cowpat bushes and trees.( trees of cowpat, that seem to proliferate, as if over night, respawning in their density and numbers) when your starving..?

Good question and one i asked myself many times in those early days, when i first washed up here
.HOW on earth will i SURVIVE..!! :wideyed:

It's simple dear reader, what at first seems barren and devoid of food, is actually littered with energy giving foods.

At first i near starved, but a few weeks/months of testing... then tasting... then eating items that didn't seem to react badly on my meter, have given me a whole new diet.
Gone are the cheap, easy foods of those back in Blighty..( or my life long past, as i now mentally call it.)

Here, i've learned how to hunt, scavenge, and stalk my prey.

Meat is now back on the menu, and i'm eating more of it..( must be the moons or the month of may..who knows )

And i found if i don't waste the excess, ( the fats i used to discard, because . unhealthy :rolleyes:)
i feel fuller and with more energy then previous foods..
Berries are everywhere, as are nuts..no alcohol tree sadly..but the water is crisp and clean

So yeah..i'm doing ok..no scrub that ..i'm doing great...fitter, slimmer, more muscular, better all around..

now if i could only survive long enough to show off the new bod that's replaced the dad bod i had, i'd be a happy man...(tho' more beer grylls, then bear grylls, but better then i've been in 30 years )

But i'm rambling on now.
i took time to write this as it MAY be my last entry...:writer:

Shush, no hugs or flowers..it is what i want.,
what iv'e dreamt of these many nights marooned here, on my little island.

This morning my meter said i was close..and low and behold, as i felt the bush begin to thin,
the last few cuts with the machete meter, put me through and almost off the edge of a cliff....:***:

i stared in amazement, checked my meter, to see if it's compass was off.

But as i look out at the plains below, it can only be..The FORBIDDEN ZONE.

the LAND of FOUR, i've heard rumour of...and now i've seen it with my own eyes.:watching:

admittedly at 4.9....i've a long way to go to stick around,, but i've come a long way too, so that don't bother me.

The word is, this place has some magical powers, a land where people rarely eat, but live forever.

i've decided to camp here so even if i can't live THERE, i'm close by it.

i'm stepping through, and trying to climb down onto the plains and familiarise myself with it.

After the heady heights of TEN mountain, where i started, the air is thicker, crisper,
it's left me feeling a little weaker, but i persevere......onwards we go, onwards.
wish me luck,

PS: If this is My last post, by george it's been worth it...

My God, but the view IS spectacular.

God bless you all. "
Congrats on the score bro, well deserved.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"...well, i'm back from my trek into the LAND of FOUR.

and what a day it's been.
night has fallen here, i can hear 'things' rustling in the bushes below, but i'm safe..for now.

decided to try the keto warriors diet, ok maybe Keto Lite, if i'm honest, but now i see why they have such a fearsome reputation.

it's not an easy road to travel.
BUT..i think i may have found a secret weapon.

I found a manuscript washed upon the beach, marked CMT..some other words that maybe..d-nel--..can't read rest,
but it spoke of a primitive cracker with magical abilities.

i made a fire, and prepared the meal last night as best i could.

i had sufficient for two and kept one about my person, the cracker was most filling.
and kept me full until this morning where i repeated the process, and that one served to fill me until this evening,
where i prepared some ribs, and some green leaf to sustain me.

The meter says:
( just after midnight by my reckoning) 5.1
at break of dawn 4.9
after the cracker meal 5.2
pre evening meal 5.0
1hr + after meal 5.5

My best days score ..ever.
and no hunger, no hankering for pudding or something else to eat.

i'll sleep well tonight on that scoring."

Last edited: