Alcohol and Metformin

Rdan

Hi everyone,

Hope you are having an amazing day!! I was hoping to get your advice. Is it ok to drink while taking Metformin? I have T2 and don’t drink often anymore. I just got diagnosed 1 month ago and am taking Metformin. I usually drink whiskey neat. I am going to a festival tomorrow and wanted to have a drink or two. Just wasn’t sure if it’s ok.

Advice anyone?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I suggest you look up Metformin side-effects in sites such as drugs. com, rxlist.com etc.
These will outline any intercations between metformin ( and whatever brands of it) and alcohol.
Any any interactions between a prescribed drug and other drugs and substances should of course have been discussed with you at the times you were prescribed it.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think each person reacts differently, I have had no problems taking 2 500 mg metformin tablets daily and having 3 or 4 drinks of rum, but I wouldn't like to push much past that. Check online for more advice and read over the information given when you got your prescription as "kitedoc" suggests...

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried this for you:).
Whiskey (or if you must, whisky) is just fine with metformin in (not always;)) moderate quantities. I believe the relative risk of lactic acidosis is negligible with low level use but everyone must make their own choice, of course, based upon their understanding.
Have fun:).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried this for you:).
Whiskey (or if you must, whisky) is just fine with metformin in (not always;)) moderate quantities. I believe the relative risk of lactic acidosis is negligible with low level use but everyone must make their own choice, of course, based upon their understanding.
Have fun:).

Muddikins, I appreciate your comment was made in an up-beat, lighthearted way, but I think it fair to say your "experiments" have been fine for you, but may not be fine for another person. Like so many other things, how an individual handles alcohol - with or without metformin in play - can differ significantly. I'd hate to be the person in the "negligible" bracket, but even if the chances are low, it means there is a chance.

@Rdan - The choice whether you drink or not is your own, but if you decide you will have a drink, then please do so very moderately indeed. Even those who haven't had a drink in a while, for no reason other than they haven't can find their tolerances to alcohol are dimished and they can become inebriated, and all that comes with it, more quickly.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a warning to avoid alcohol whilst taking Metformin as there is an increased risk of developing lactic acidosis a potentially fatal condition. Here’s more info about it:
https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/metformin-alcohol#alcohol-interactions
Had lactic acidosis a few years ago as a non drinker and taken off the metformin. Diagnosed at A&E with blood test and most of the symptoms listed. GP had said a few hours earlier that it was a virus. Ho hum.
Have recently discovered that I do like a decent reserve port! :)

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
I went through this, in the end I was ok with a few good shots, I cannot state how important it is to invest in the very best, if you are going to have only one or two then make them worth it.