1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Alcohol and Metformin

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Rdan, May 5, 2019.

1. Rdan

Rdan · Member

Hi everyone,

Hope you are having an amazing day!! I was hoping to get your advice. Is it ok to drink while taking Metformin? I have T2 and don’t drink often anymore. I just got diagnosed 1 month ago and am taking Metformin. I usually drink whiskey neat. I am going to a festival tomorrow and wanted to have a drink or two. Just wasn’t sure if it’s ok.

Advice anyone?

2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I suggest you look up Metformin side-effects in sites such as drugs. com, rxlist.com etc.
    These will outline any intercations between metformin ( and whatever brands of it) and alcohol.
    Any any interactions between a prescribed drug and other drugs and substances should of course have been discussed with you at the times you were prescribed it.

3. enb54

enb54 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think each person reacts differently, I have had no problems taking 2 500 mg metformin tablets daily and having 3 or 4 drinks of rum, but I wouldn't like to push much past that. Check online for more advice and read over the information given when you got your prescription as "kitedoc" suggests...

4. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

5. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

6. Muddikins

Muddikins Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have tried this for you:).
    Whiskey (or if you must, whisky) is just fine with metformin in (not always;)) moderate quantities. I believe the relative risk of lactic acidosis is negligible with low level use but everyone must make their own choice, of course, based upon their understanding.
    Have fun:).

7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Muddikins, I appreciate your comment was made in an up-beat, lighthearted way, but I think it fair to say your "experiments" have been fine for you, but may not be fine for another person. Like so many other things, how an individual handles alcohol - with or without metformin in play - can differ significantly. I'd hate to be the person in the "negligible" bracket, but even if the chances are low, it means there is a chance.

@Rdan - The choice whether you drink or not is your own, but if you decide you will have a drink, then please do so very moderately indeed. Even those who haven't had a drink in a while, for no reason other than they haven't can find their tolerances to alcohol are dimished and they can become inebriated, and all that comes with it, more quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fruitella

Fruitella Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Had lactic acidosis a few years ago as a non drinker and taken off the metformin. Diagnosed at A&E with blood test and most of the symptoms listed. GP had said a few hours earlier that it was a virus. Ho hum.
    Have recently discovered that I do like a decent reserve port! :)

9. Rdan

Rdan · Member

Thank you all for your feedback

10. Ross.Walker

Ross.Walker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I went through this, in the end I was ok with a few good shots, I cannot state how important it is to invest in the very best, if you are going to have only one or two then make them worth it.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook