Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Oh goody, @Fairygodmother - if you have your magic wand to hand right now, could you wave it about in my house and make it all sparkly clean please? If I promise to be very, very good? Please, pretty please?

Reactions: karen8967

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Oh goody, @Fairygodmother - if you have your magic wand to hand right now, could you wave it about in my house and make it all sparkly clean please? If I promise to be very, very good? Please, pretty please?

I wish I had that kind of magic wand for this house too, chez nous flings open the door and whistles for all the mud dust and unironed clothes to come party. The secret is to spend the day in the garden.

Reactions: WuTwo
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning and wishing you all a happy Sunday, this morning was a 7.5, that's :cool:
I am not doing gardening today as such, but going to a great big garden/park this afternoon, Windsor Great Park, hope the sun stays out :) and no cooking either for me :happy:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Or maybe just protruding into muscle and the removal caused a nicking of a blood vessel, either way it should get you out of washing up ¡,!,
Pretty sure I don’t actually have any muscles in my stomach... ;) And certainly not within 1cm of the surface!

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning fellow caddys.

Its official I am off Indian food. In recent weeks I have been having some pakora and a smallish piece of nan bread, with a chicken Bhuna. On advice from you guys I split my Bolus 60% up front with other 40% over 6 hours. By 11pm BG was decent enough at 6.7. Woke at 3am to a BG 16.8 I have taken a couple of correction doses but still sitting at BG 13.1.

No alcohol was involved, I did change my fusion set last night but that seems to be OK.

Back to drawing board, again.

Hope you all have a lovely day whatever you do

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning fellow caddys.

Its official I am off Indian food. In recent weeks I have been having some pakora and a smallish piece of nan bread, with a chicken Bhuna. On advice from you guys I split my Bolus 60% up front with other 40% over 6 hours. By 11pm BG was decent enough at 6.7. Woke at 3am to a BG 16.8 I have taken a couple of correction doses but still sitting at BG 13.1.

No alcohol was involved, I did change my fusion set last night but that seems to be OK.

Back to drawing board, again.

Hope you all have a lovely day whatever you do

It’s a real pig when that happens! Always a battle between immediate gratification and a good night’s sleep. Indian food for lunch seems to be an answer but it just doesn’t seem as nice then and a full tum doesn’t fit with U.K. work patterns. I love the med style of the long lunch break.

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much marmalade did you eat? A whole jar?
I would be surprised if the marmalade alone caused such a high.
As there is so much that can affect our BG, my policy is to never draw a conclusion from a sample of one. Before, discounting marmalade, I would try again to see if it has the same affect. And then, maybe, use it as an example to the DSN why I need to learn to carb count.
It is possible that marmalade is your diabetic kryptonite, but it is more likely you do not have the tools (carb counting) to manage it.
I had two slices wholemeal toast with marmalade and a banana. I know its not the banana as I have one every morning. And unlikely the bread as I have it most days for lunch. So the marmalade is the only thing I've had different.
I have been moving around a lot this morning, so maybe it's the two together.
Haven't gone this high in a couple of weeks.
Have had a little correction insulin, so hoping it will come down in the next hour, as I'm supposed to be eating a roast dinner! Might have to take it easy on the potatoes.
Might have to give low sugar marmalade a go

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had two slices wholemeal toast with marmalade and a banana. I know its not the banana as I have one every morning. And unlikely the bread as I have it most days for lunch. So the marmalade is the only thing I've had different.
I have been moving around a lot this morning, so maybe it's the two together.
Haven't gone this high in a couple of weeks.
Have had a little correction insulin, so hoping it will come down in the next hour, as I'm supposed to be eating a roast dinner! Might have to take it easy on the potatoes.
Might have to give low sugar marmalade a go

Depending on portion size, 2 slices of bread could be 40 g of carbs, a banana 15/20 g of carbs and I assume the marmalade would have some of carbs as well. So that is maybe around 70 g of carbs.

Some people find also that they need more insulin in mornings than they do for rest of day.

I know its a pain but it will take a lot of trial and error so get you doses/carbs balance. Even then when you think you have it sussed, it will throw you a curve ball. As you have maybe seen from comments on here many of us still have highs and lows even after 30+ years

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depending on portion size, 2 slices of bread could be 40 g of carbs, a banana 15/20 g of carbs and I assume the marmalade would have some of carbs as well. So that is maybe around 70 g of carbs.

Some people find also that they need more insulin in mornings than they do for rest of day.

I know its a pain but it will take a lot of trial and error so get you doses/carbs balance. Even then when you think you have it sussed, it will throw you a curve ball. As you have maybe seen from comments on here many of us still have highs and lows even after 30+ years
Yeah that's true... was trying to use carbs & cals, but I should have looked more at the actual packaging of the bread, etc.
It's still a long way to go up, even for me, but I guess it happens.
I'm just trying my hardest not to stress about it, as that will just make it worse!

Reactions: karen8967

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

After much trial and error I finally worked out that I have four daytime ratios, with the morning being when I can eat fewer carbs than at any other time. By dinner I'm at 1:10g which is fantastic, so I save my real munching for dinner. If I had the fancy machinery it would doubtless work out even more ratios for different occasions but this is as good as I can get it working with testing and my app.

Reactions: smc4761 and Jazz97

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
11am and already at 25.7
I'm never having marmalade again

Did you bolus for it?

Is it possible that you hit the feet on the floor effect too? I always need some insulin in the morning to deal with what the liver chucks out when I get moving.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yep... I was at 9.3 before hand. My dose should be 6 as per nurse's instructions, but took 7 as I was trying to get down to normal levels. And waited 20 mins before eating

It could be that the 9.3 needed a bit longer to descend. What were your bs before eating? Personally, if I’m above 8 then I need longer for the insulin to take effect.

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be that the 9.3 needed a bit longer to descend. What were your bs before eating? Personally, if I’m above 8 then I need longer for the insulin to take effect.
That was it before the insulin. I dont test again until 2 hours after I've eaten.

Reactions: kitedoc