Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Watching Matthew Bourne’s Car Man on the box - just wow! (It’s the advert interval)

Reactions: Knikki and WuTwo

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I should be getting a libre in a few weeks.
I was testing every hour, but was told to stop as an hour after eating would be a false reading...

Hi, Jazz, might have mentioned it before, but if not, I'd recommend getting Sugar Surfing by Stephen Ponder, a couple of quid on kindle. It's a good introduction to how to use cgm and libre.

DAFNE is very much about not testing between meals unless hypo, and saving corrections till meals, whereas Ponder takes the view that with cgm, because we can see how things are moving, there's no reason to not adjust things on the fly when we see trends developing. It means that even if we get the bolus dose wrong it's not that much of a problem, because we can step in and make an adjustment before it gets messy.

There's some fairly advanced stuff in it about insulin stacking, but as you're recently dx'd ca' canny with it.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Pretty sure I don’t actually have any muscles in my stomach... ;) And certainly not within 1cm of the surface!
Pretty sure I don’t actually have any muscles in my stomach... ;) And certainly not within 1cm of the surface!
Am not laughing but My stomach muscles are tensing in the effort not to do so. I suggest a condition called mucularis abdomini abberrens. But it could as easily be vascularis abdominus aberrens also!
Now doing a Pump thread on pump emergency kit and a Diabetes Discussion on treating high BSLS - Hi jinx - how do you treat high bsls? 15 minutes tops !

Reactions: Knikki

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Quick question: has anyone tried tonkotsu ramen and has it had a noticeable effect on bg?

There's a Japanese restaurant up the road from me which does it, it's pork bones boiled for about 36 hrs to make a silky smooth broth, then about 60g egg noodles, some spring onions, seaweed and a few slices of char siu belly pork.

I pop in there for a bowl of it once a week or so, and there's a noticeable difference in bg stability over the next few days.

This has happened too many times for it to be coincidence - I'm using cgm, I ignore guff about cinnamon etc - but this meal just seems to make my bg insanely stable for several days.

Is there some hidden secret in pork broth, or the spices or whatever? Who knows, but would be interested in any views on this.

PS: the spicy "Hell" version is not as hot as it looks: they've toned down the chilli for us Western wusses!

menu-004.jpg

Screenshot_2019-05-04-14-35-45.png

Reactions: porl69
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Robinredbreast hope you had a good day. Will say good night as have had visitors all day and not been on line all day due to them leaving and Line of Duty starting!!!

I had a really lovely day thank you. I watched Line of Duty for the 1 st time tonight, as the person I was with wanted to watch it so I would be home la bit later, but I really enjoyed it, so there were 4 and only 3 mentioned, talk about being on tender hooks, we will have to wait until next time................:wideyed::)
Goodnight Daphne :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I had a great day and a lovely evening, will try to upload some pics tomorrow and with that, I will bid you all a restful goodnight zzzzzzz

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning everyone, am I the first one up?
Nice madam BG this morning 5.4 which isn't too bad considering I had a ramekin size portion of frites with my steak and salad for supper followed by some dark chocolate. Arms ache after the battle of the nettles yesterday, the second onslaught comes later if the weather is fine.
I read this earlier
https://judirebekah.wixsite.com/onetype1
There's nothing in it I didn't already know but it is so clear I wondered if it would be any help to newly diagnosed people. Anyway, it made me reflect of my BG control.
The new regime started a week ago came to nothing, in fact I've put on 1k so a new new one starts today. Ha!
Have a good bank holiday

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning @SueJB on this lovely sunny day - although I think it might be a bit chilly again as the cats stuck they’re heads through the cat flap and that’s as far as they got!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Morning peeps
waving.gif

A happy 5.3 for me to start the day. Today we are spending the morning attacking the herbs, spices and dog food shelves. We need to expand the herbs and spices section because we eat such a variety and want to make them quicker to find. The dog shelf is just a mess. Then this afternoon I want to make a quiche for tomorrow's dinner.

As a reward for all my endeavour I shall have a bath with coconut bubbly stuff. In truth though, I'm looking forward to the quiche most of all. I'm going to make a full size one but plan to make too much pastry so that I can make some little individual sized quiches - jam tart sized - that can go as lunch box food.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@SueJB I've bookmarked the link. I read a bit of the page about her initial difficulties with Amy; wildly swinging bloods, and then how they found the FB group but then I decided that what I really need out of life is more coffee. A lot more coffee. I'll go back to it later; it's interesting. I'm not expecting it to change how I manage my diabetes because it and I are doing reasonably OK 85% of the time.

I don't have Facebook, or Instagram - wouldn't line Zuckerberg's greasy palm if he stood in front of me begging!

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning, it:)'s another fine day here, BS not to bad considering the desert I had last night, a piece of gluten free Cadbury Mud pie and I have the rest of it here, daughter looked well pleased :hungry::happy:
Happy May bank holiday :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

That sounds scrumptious @Robinredbreast - however, being Cadbury it isn't gonna be vegan so I shall look on and drool :hilarious:

I have got some vegan apple pies, but the pastry isn't home made and I don't like it. I think the cereal packet would have better texture. Next time I'll make the pie and not be lazy!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all, not emerged squinting from h set the duvet yet. Beardy dCP is up dealing with the gas men and hopefully making coffee. Yesterday they gave us an electric job and a fan heater as we were without gas for the night and all our stuff runs on it, including the kettle and coffee making thingie! Apparently it’s cheaper for them to just give you the things rather than to collect them back and test them for safety before issuing then to someone else. Crazy but very much appreciated. It seems the fault wasn’t on our boiler at all but on the “elbow” coming off the gas main, so they're digging up the road. Loudly. I can’t hear a thing because our house is tucked around the back. It’s probably quite noisy for people facing the road though.

Libre had me at nicely in range but a blood test had me at 8.4 so not impressed! Thanks for the link @SueJB - I’ll have a look at that. Currently reading a huge 1500 page tome for my paramedic course.

Have a good day, lovelies ❤️

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow @Mel dCP fab avatar - is that bo***cks?

Woke to a happy 4.3, for some reason at 10.8 after breakfast, think it might be change of site, pah!

@SueJB have started reading the blog you linked to; I agree it's pretty clear for anyone new to diabetes and it really highlights the nonsense of HCPs relying so heavily on a1c results. But we knew that anyway, perhaps this should be mandatory reading for them.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

Delayed reactions to Saturday's excellently managed levels on a 21 miles walk... yesterday I woke up on a splendid number, had usual breakfast, and usual Sunday Morning extra bolus. Then, it had crept up to an OK, but not splendid, number by lunchtime, then it decided to sulk for the rest of the day and into this morning.

Looks like my usual kind of commuting length walk before tackling the gruesome paperwork is the sensible option - just not in the commuting direction so I don't go to work accidentally. It's happened on a May Day Bank Holiday before when I thought I'd over-slept, panicked, threw my stuff together and got half way before remembering! I've had more years of working adult life where Bank Holidays were just not part of the work equation than I have of having them all being observed by my Main Work Places.

Reactions: WuTwo

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all
7.5 on waking
I read the whole of Amy's story, and honestly its disheartening for me and frustrating, because as you probably realised, I'm in very much the same position as Amy was. I'm also stubborn, like what I eat, and think that most vegetables are gross and only eat them because I should. I think I could incorporate some low carb meals into my life, but I wouldn't want to only be able to eat low carb.

Anyway, I got back to my uni house last night. Have to start my essay today, and may look into the Libre training my nurse sent me.

Reactions: SueJB and porl69

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Late good morning all as I’ve spent the time reading your link @SueJP. I’m pretty low carb already but not nearly low enough to be keto and it’s persuasive. The author also made me feel astonished that after so many cell-threatening years I’ve no discernible complications.
Woke on 6.9, feet on the floor dose, breakfast with insulin garnish and now 6.5. Not displeased.

Reactions: SueJB

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning all. Taken me a while to catch up.....
Still on the app, which I hate.

Interesting weekend bg wise. Went to a friends on Saturday for food and beer....couldn't get my blood below 11 while there, got home and bg started to behave and stayed in single figures for the rest of the bank holiday weekend.

Reactions: Fairygodmother