Can't sleep very well

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
i always feel at my sleep that i need to go to toilet several times and thirst but when i wake up i test my blood level usally i find it at normal level like today was 99mg/dl and the need to drink or urinate disappear

anyone experinced symptoms like these or that mean the lantus is not 100% effective

what i should do as these disturp my sleep T1D five years now and using basal bolus

Reactions: Freema

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Bassiette i haven’t come across this myself, however are you emptying your bladder properly before sleep ?

If your levels are within range then it doesn’t sound like it’s diabetes related and if it continues it’s best to get checked over by your GP to rule out any other causes.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes getting up to go to the bathroom during the night is a habit that has developed when your levels were higher. If you keep your blood sugar levels steady and lower, you may wake less often and get more sleep as a result. I suspect it takes a while for my body and brain to adjust to a change.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 and I wake up frequently at night. I have to get up and move around a bit. I enjoy the peace and quiet and the time to let my mind wander without being task-directed as I am all throughout the day.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Bassiette, Sorry to hear of your sleep troubles.
As you might imagine the whole subject of thirst and making of urine involves a lot of body processes from the brain, hormones, digestion of food, uptake of water through to the 'plumbing' - kidneys, bladder etc.
Just some thoughts, i agree with @JMK1954 , that our brain can habitually follow an earlier behaviour pattern.
But also, if you look up rxlist.com Lantus - Side-effects in Detail you can see that nightmares and sleep disturbance figure, and also fluid retention, swelling of legs, hands sometimes face.
A thought is whether Lantus is causing you to retain fluid ( in the tissues under the skin, say,)and believe it or not it ir not it happens that our kidneys, those filters of the blood , actually work more efficiently, produce more urine when we are laying diwn flat ( see https://www.bladder and bowel.org-
nocturia.
So even if you were not drinking much fluid before bedtime, the accumulated fluid from during the day might still he enough for the kidneys to cause sufficient bladder-filling to disturb your sleep.
Maybe, if you have access to accurate scales you could try weighing yourself morning and night under similar conditions e.g. same amount of clothing, before eating food, or drinking fluid and may be after emptying one' s bladder etc rather than before.
With this info and asuming your life is being adversely affected by nighttime disturbance you could consult your doctor, see what he/she makes of it and go from there.
I am not suggesting that you have to change from Lantus necessariky but if no other cause is apparent that might be a consideration.
Good Luck !

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
I tested my fasting blood sugar was 68 mg/dl today