1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can't sleep very well

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Bassiette, May 7, 2019.

1. Bassiette

Bassiette Type 1 · Well-Known Member

i always feel at my sleep that i need to go to toilet several times and thirst but when i wake up i test my blood level usally i find it at normal level like today was 99mg/dl and the need to drink or urinate disappear

anyone experinced symptoms like these or that mean the lantus is not 100% effective

what i should do as these disturp my sleep T1D five years now and using basal bolus

• Like Like x 1
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @Bassiette i haven’t come across this myself, however are you emptying your bladder properly before sleep ?

If your levels are within range then it doesn’t sound like it’s diabetes related and if it continues it’s best to get checked over by your GP to rule out any other causes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes getting up to go to the bathroom during the night is a habit that has developed when your levels were higher. If you keep your blood sugar levels steady and lower, you may wake less often and get more sleep as a result. I suspect it takes a while for my body and brain to adjust to a change.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JAT1

JAT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm type 1 and I wake up frequently at night. I have to get up and move around a bit. I enjoy the peace and quiet and the time to let my mind wander without being task-directed as I am all throughout the day.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Bassiette, Sorry to hear of your sleep troubles.
    As you might imagine the whole subject of thirst and making of urine involves a lot of body processes from the brain, hormones, digestion of food, uptake of water through to the 'plumbing' - kidneys, bladder etc.
    Just some thoughts, i agree with @JMK1954 , that our brain can habitually follow an earlier behaviour pattern.
    But also, if you look up rxlist.com Lantus - Side-effects in Detail you can see that nightmares and sleep disturbance figure, and also fluid retention, swelling of legs, hands sometimes face.
    A thought is whether Lantus is causing you to retain fluid ( in the tissues under the skin, say,)and believe it or not it ir not it happens that our kidneys, those filters of the blood , actually work more efficiently, produce more urine when we are laying diwn flat ( see https://www.bladder and bowel.org-
    nocturia.
    So even if you were not drinking much fluid before bedtime, the accumulated fluid from during the day might still he enough for the kidneys to cause sufficient bladder-filling to disturb your sleep.
    Maybe, if you have access to accurate scales you could try weighing yourself morning and night under similar conditions e.g. same amount of clothing, before eating food, or drinking fluid and may be after emptying one' s bladder etc rather than before.
    With this info and asuming your life is being adversely affected by nighttime disturbance you could consult your doctor, see what he/she makes of it and go from there.
    I am not suggesting that you have to change from Lantus necessariky but if no other cause is apparent that might be a consideration.
    Good Luck !

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Bassiette

Bassiette Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I tested my fasting blood sugar was 68 mg/dl today

• Like Like x 1
  7. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oops! . Need to review that, don't you think?

• Like Like x 1
  8. pantherleon03

pantherleon03 · Newbie

What blood testing device do you use? We have accucheck at home and has been using it for almost 2 years.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook