Type 2 How do you deal with spontaneity in food?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure about the testing.

My trainer doesn’t like me eating On lessons so not sure how this would go down.

Not sure if it becomes the same as using a mobile device which you can’t do. It’s treated same as driving.

So couldn’t scan anything with phone while teaching as that’s illegal to use or touch phone.
Presumably your trainer would like you to be unwell whilst teaching even less. I’m sure a medical situation should you require testing or food urgently that cannot wait til the end of the lesson would be viewed differently to a quick snack because you’re peckish. Again testing for insulin dependants is 2 Hrly. So immediately before each lesson would likely be more than that in most situations

Libres can use a separate monitor that’s not a phone. However I think there’s an issue obtaining them presently. That said you could always do a discreet test whilst stopped explaining manoeuvres/ procedures

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dr last year said to me I had to be 5 to drive. That if I didn’t test and didn’t know then that was fine.

I’m not in insulin but it’s complicated because it could be issue if something happens and my meter shows I was below 5. So even though as type 2 I don’t have to because I can’t go hypo if they find the meter it could itself cause problems.

And she said you need to be 5 to drive. And to be honest even in low 5s I don’t feel fab so I would want to drive in 4s anyway
I’m not convinced your dr is right. Look at the links I posted.

Ignorance is not a defence in law for driving offences. They are absolute. You did it or not. The only difference might be in the penalty applied.

Even those on insulin can drive legally in the 4’s so long as they’ve had a snack and not gone under 4. I guess stretching it to the extreme if you were at a level below 4, even not on insulin, and had an accident they might be able to try the claim you were hypo and thus responsible. But would you be driving then anyway? Not likely from the way 5’s and 6’s make you feel. And if you were unknowingly a 3 and hypo, wilfully ignoring the obvious symptoms would be pretty irresponsible and you don’t sound that. So can’t see you have anything to lose by testing whilst teaching in my opinion.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Not sure about the testing.

My trainer doesn’t like me eating On lessons so not sure how this would go down.

Not sure if it becomes the same as using a mobile device which you can’t do. It’s treated same as driving.

So couldn’t scan anything with phone while teaching as that’s illegal to use or touch phone.
You can get a proprietary scanner so don't need to use your phone - they're pretty freely available on ebay and double up as a blood/ketone meter, so a useful widget to have. You could easily do a quick scan when your lesson pupils are changing over. And as for your trainer "not liking you eating on lessons", they need to understand that you have a metabolic issue that necessitates it occasionally. You are covered under the Equalities Act 2010, so you have very right to take care of yourself at work or during training.

Reactions: HSSS

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It’s actually below 4 you can’t drive if you are on insulin. Below 5 you should take action to raise it. If you do go under 4 then you have to wait 45 mins after it get back up to 5 to drive in order to recover. https://assets.publishing.service.g...e-to-insulin-treated-diabetes-and-driving.pdf
And if you do need to test you must do it, failing to test is the same as failing the test. Playing ignorance/avoidance of knowing your levels doesn’t cut it legally.

On other meds there doesn’t seem to be a requirement to test https://assets.publishing.service.g...vers-with-diabetes-treated-by-non-insulin.pdf
Someone please correct me if that’s wrong or out of date

Hmmm.

I don’t go under 5 very often.
The difficulty is when I’m rushing between lessons. Quite often I feel fine, don’t feel hungry then after a few mins of driving I feel hungry and feel things dipping (only into 5s I think)

So unless I then eat just in case, that’s the problem.

Although that hasn’t happened as much recently to be fair.

The nurse said to have emergency sweets in car, dr said I don’t have to.

I’m going with dr only because I am useless and end up eating them

Reactions: Freema

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You can get a proprietary scanner so don't need to use your phone - they're pretty freely available on ebay and double up as a blood/ketone meter, so a useful widget to have. You could easily do a quick scan when your lesson pupils are changing over. And as for your trainer "not liking you eating on lessons", they need to understand that you have a metabolic issue that necessitates it occasionally. You are covered under the Equalities Act 2010, so you have very right to take care of yourself at work or during training.

I think maybe he thinks I eat when I don’t need to.
Before diagnosis I used to just eat sweets all the time when obviously I didn’t need to (although you could argue the diabetes did).

I think if I actually neeeded it it would be fine.

That’s the other reason for the bread. It doesn’t smell.

I always feel bad about eating smelly food when in a small place like a car. Not nice for the other person.

I seem to eat smelly food alot

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think maybe he thinks I eat when I don’t need to.
Before diagnosis I used to just eat sweets all the time when obviously I didn’t need to (although you could argue the diabetes did).

I think if I actually neeeded it it would be fine.

That’s the other reason for the bread. It doesn’t smell.

I always feel bad about eating smelly food when in a small place like a car. Not nice for the other person.

I seem to eat smelly food alot
Perhaps rather than sweets, keep some dextrose tablets in the car - they're not nice enough to binge on!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I keep saying it but for maybe for just a week test between each lesson. Then you’ll know if any yuk feelings are really about lowering blood sugars. Otherwise by eating each time unnecessarily you’ll perpetuate the carb rollercoaster, or if it is low you can head it off before the lesson starts with just a little something to bump it back up. 5 is good though not to be avoided and if it’s just a matter of getting used to it then try your best to break through the temptation to carb up.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cana - What would you do if for, whatever reason, you couldn't eat bread any more. How would you fill in these gaps then?

Personally, having read many, many posts of yours, I think you are using bread, almost like @Mel dCP uses insulin. You to bump up your bloods and and Mel to bring hers down.

Like others I cannot see any logic in a person diagnoses with T2, not taking hypo inducing drugs feeding their meds, on a "just in case" basis.

Constant grazing can in itself lead to inhibited progress in terms of blood glucose reregulation, because recurrently taking on board of food just keeps nudging the bloods of their perfectly acceptable, it seems, lower numbers. Grazing to include a higher carb option just further amplifies that.

In your shoes, I would cook myself a vat of something like non-smelly, and clean to eat, chicken, cut it up into finger sized pieces, and apply salt and pepper (or your chosen beningn seasoning). Put it into a clip top/Tupperware box and have some of that when you would normally tear off some bread roll. If that doesn't "feel" too filling, you could have a little pot of may inside the box of chicken and dip each chunk in there, as you go.

That way you will be eating minimal carbs, and allow you - provided you give it a couple of days - to see whether the eating is a mouth-feel/habit issue or something else.

If you usually rush between clients, it is quite plausible you have an adrenalin rush as you dash from A to B and the downer you feel a short time later is actually the adrenalin subsiding.

Are you a chillaxed, calm, zen person or are you often inwardly churning?

That's just my brain dump of the day . :)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I know I keep saying it but for maybe for just a week test between each lesson. Then you’ll know if any yuk feelings are really about lowering blood sugars. Otherwise by eating each time unnecessarily you’ll perpetuate the carb rollercoaster, or if it is low you can head it off before the lesson starts with just a little something to bump it back up. 5 is good though not to be avoided and if it’s just a matter of getting used to it then try your best to break through the temptation to carb up.

I’ll
Do it this week

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Cana - What would you do if for, whatever reason, you couldn't eat bread any more. How would you fill in these gaps then?

Personally, having read many, many posts of yours, I think you are using bread, almost like @Mel dCP uses insulin. You to bump up your bloods and and Mel to bring hers down.

Like others I cannot see any logic in a person diagnoses with T2, not taking hypo inducing drugs feeding their meds, on a "just in case" basis.

Constant grazing can in itself lead to inhibited progress in terms of blood glucose reregulation, because recurrently taking on board of food just keeps nudging the bloods of their perfectly acceptable, it seems, lower numbers. Grazing to include a higher carb option just further amplifies that.

In your shoes, I would cook myself a vat of something like non-smelly, and clean to eat, chicken, cut it up into finger sized pieces, and apply salt and pepper (or your chosen beningn seasoning). Put it into a clip top/Tupperware box and have some of that when you would normally tear off some bread roll. If that doesn't "feel" too filling, you could have a little pot of may inside the box of chicken and dip each chunk in there, as you go.

That way you will be eating minimal carbs, and allow you - provided you give it a couple of days - to see whether the eating is a mouth-feel/habit issue or something else.

If you usually rush between clients, it is quite plausible you have an adrenalin rush as you dash from A to B and the downer you feel a short time later is actually the adrenalin subsiding.

Are you a chillaxed, calm, zen person or are you often inwardly churning?

That's just my brain dump of the day . :)

It would be fine. After diagnosis I stopped eating it. Only started again few weeks ago by accident. I discovered by eating a roll over several hours (made a mistake with food and had to buy emergency to work) it kept me going.

I used to flag around 4 or 5pm but I’ve done alit better.

I think my overall fear is being stranded somewhere in the car and not being able to get home because I feel lousy etc.

I think that’s wearing off.

I do suffer anxiety. Not as bad as I used to but there are times when I am just in a constant state of being scared!!

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I’ve done my food for week.

I’ll put my bread bits in the boot so it’s there as safer and a comfort blanket but not in car so I can’t reach it.

I’ve got sausages for snacks in day and pepperami

Chicken thigh for lunch. Probably need something else with this. Might take some mayo or coleslaw.

I’ve got egg

Can also take some hot dog sausage.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@Cana this is a bit off-topic but I love your avatar animal. Is it a quagga?

Thank you

It’s an okapi. I made him. He is crocheted!
IMG_0061.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve done my food for week.

I’ll put my bread bits in the boot so it’s there as safer and a comfort blanket but not in car so I can’t reach it.

I’ve got sausages for snacks in day and pepperami

Chicken thigh for lunch. Probably need something else with this. Might take some mayo or coleslaw.

I’ve got egg

Can also take some hot dog sausage.

I usually have pepperoni sticks with me if I'm going out.

1479851747516.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @Cana . He is lovely!

I can crochet, but nothing as complex as he looks. Cat toys are about as complicated as I've tried.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you’re getting there :) anxiety seemed to be behind a lot of your decisions food wise. Realising this and taking steps to counteract it is great. (Locking bread away, testing to show yourself the reality not the fear)

Can you eat a meal rather than graze? That way you get a real feeling of fullness and you provoke less insulin than constant tops ups do. Try and make sure there’s a decent portion of fats too to keep you full up longer.

Good luck.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Thanks, @Cana . He is lovely!

I can crochet, but nothing as complex as he looks. Cat toys are about as complicated as I've tried.

I only started crocheting jan 18! It’s basically just circles. Very very easy. And very mindful. If I’m anxious or stressed I’ll whip it out and do some and usually calms me down. I’m making this now
DD7ACBF1-7B1C-484F-B990-AF1F8B0BB241.jpg

You should try it. It really is easier than it looks

Reactions: Freema and Antje77

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I think you’re getting there :) anxiety seemed to be behind a lot of your decisions food wise. Realising this and taking steps to counteract it is great. (Locking bread away, testing to show yourself the reality not the fear)

Can you eat a meal rather than graze? That way you get a real feeling of fullness and you provoke less insulin than constant tops ups do. Try and make sure there’s a decent portion of fats too to keep you full up longer.

Good luck.

It’s knowing what to have for lunches really. But I struggled with that even before diagnosis to be honest.

I’ve got some lamb burgers I cooked today that I can take. Lamb burger and chicken thigh should be more than enough

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I find lunches the hardest. At home I can do leftovers reheated. Out it’s harder, meat and cheese roll ups feature heavily with a pickle and mayo dob in the middle. Or often I just load up with a Latisha breakfast and skip lunch altogether and then another filling meal in the evening. Double win, less insulin as well as no decisions to make.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be fine. After diagnosis I stopped eating it. Only started again few weeks ago by accident. I discovered by eating a roll over several hours (made a mistake with food and had to buy emergency to work) it kept me going.

I used to flag around 4 or 5pm but I’ve done alit better.

I think my overall fear is being stranded somewhere in the car and not being able to get home because I feel lousy etc.

I think that’s wearing off.

I do suffer anxiety. Not as bad as I used to but there are times when I am just in a constant state of being scared!!

To be honest, the anxiety/scared thing probably feeds (pardon the pun) my hypothesis.

Can you really leave the bread bun? You've said you couldn't have sweets in the car. On that basis can you have the bread?

Make sure you take enough fats with your protein. That's what keeps you full.

You cite getting stuck somewhere, feeling lousy, not able to get home. How could that happen with a box of goodies in the boot? Just park up somewhere and tuck in. If you still feel off, call a cab and go home.

I reckon you need that safety net box - even if only as an emotional buoy.