Type 2 How do you deal with spontaneity in food?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
To be honest, the anxiety/scared thing probably feeds (pardon the pun) my hypothesis.

Can you really leave the bread bun? You've said you couldn't have sweets in the car. On that basis can you have the bread?

Make sure you take enough fats with your protein. That's what keeps you full.

You cite getting stuck somewhere, feeling lousy, not able to get home. How could that happen with a box of goodies in the boot? Just park up somewhere and tuck in. If you still feel off, call a cab and go home.

I reckon you need that safety net box - even if only as an emotional buoy.

That’s why I have food. So I always have access. Even if I don’t eat it I feel safer. Probably stupid.

Yes I think so. At the mo I don’t always finish the bread. If it’s there I’ll eat it but if it’s not I’m fine. I’ve got loads in fridge and not had any today.

If it’s in boot chances are I’ll forget about it lol.

The emergency box in boot is good idea. I’ll make a mini one fir this week then a proper one once I get shopping again next week.

What fats can I have? Do you mean mayo etc? I’ve never considered mayo as filling

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s why I have food. So I always have access. Even if I don’t eat it I feel safer. Probably stupid.

Yes I think so. At the mo I don’t always finish the bread. If it’s there I’ll eat it but if it’s not I’m fine. I’ve got loads in fridge and not had any today.

If it’s in boot chances are I’ll forget about it lol.

The emergency box in boot is good idea. I’ll make a mini one fir this week then a proper one once I get shopping again next week.

What fats can I have? Do you mean mayo etc? I’ve never considered mayo as filling

Mayo, chicken skin on, cheese, berries in crean in a clip top pot (Do you think I like clip top pots and boxes? :) ) Egg bits with cream in - all sorts.

With the weather warming a little coolie box or bag could work well for you - either just a cooler lunch back, or IKEA do a cool bag for cakes that's about a 9" square, and maybe 6" tall. A couple of decent ice blocks can keep a bag cool all day. Just grab the blocks when you grab our food in the mornings.

With food in a cool bag you have even more eating options.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Mayo, chicken skin on, cheese, berries in crean in a clip top pot (Do you think I like clip top pots and boxes? :) ) Egg bits with cream in - all sorts.

With the weather warming a little coolie box or bag could work well for you - either just a cooler lunch back, or IKEA do a cool bag for cakes that's about a 9" square, and maybe 6" tall. A couple of decent ice blocks can keep a bag cool all day. Just grab the blocks when you grab our food in the mornings.

With food in a cool bag you have even more eating options.

I do use a cool bag at the mo. It’s why I can take meat with me.

I gave some frozen raspberries I can take them with cream.

I have skin on chicken

Breakfast I leave fat on bacon and have eggs

Reactions: lovinglife

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do use a cool bag at the mo. It’s why I can take meat with me.

I gave some frozen raspberries I can take them with cream.

I have skin on chicken

Breakfast I leave fat on bacon and have eggs

If you're using a coolie bag already, throw in some BabyBel cheeses. They're nicely wrapped in the wax, so if they're in there a few days (provided you have ice blocks), they'll be fine.

You could always put them in a clip,................ I'll get m'coat. ;)

Reactions: woollygal

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
If you're using a coolie bag already, throw in some BabyBel cheeses. They're nicely wrapped in the wax, so if they're in there a few days (provided you have ice blocks), they'll be fine.

You could always put them in a clip,................ I'll get m'coat. ;)

I did use to have babybel in the early says but they ended up making me feel sick.

Might give them another go. Just need to get over that don’t fancy them feeling. There was one I preferred. Gouda I think it was

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love cheese as a snack (not Baby Bell so much), but after my LDL cholesterol was high in January and April I've quit eating HF and am trying to do medium carb and reasonable fat. When I quit LCHF my hbA1C went from 5.8 to just 6 in 3 months. I think that's the same as going from 39.9 to 42.1 but I can't do math. My LDL stayed high but both will be checked again in July, so I've been experimenting with carbs and fats, trying to keep both reasonable but not do too much of either. When I overeat carbs I get too hungry too often; that's one way I can tell if I'm eating too many.

I've tried the DASH Diet, which says no eggs and very low fat; these days I eat no eggs, try to eat more fish and chicken than beef and pork; and have stopped putting cream in my coffee.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Woke up on a 6.0.

So had egg bacon x 3 of each and 2 tomatoes for breakfast about 7am.

Tested at 9.40am and was 5.0. Then driving to lesson so had pepperami.

Tested at 10.45 (about to go into test so bit early) but was a 6.2 so happy with that.
By 11.45 was beginning to feel bit off. Felt very tired and no energy. Got Pupil home and tested. Was 5.6 so still happy

Had chicken thigh with mayo and 2 chipolatas. Still felt quite weak, not terribly but I could feel it. Felt like I needed to be quiet etc.

Got back to next pupil and tested at 12.55 and 35 mins after last test. Had gone down to 5.

Figured this wasn’t good given I couldn’t eat for another 2 hours and it was a complete newbie so lots and lots of talking so had a phd bar.

At 14.58 I tested and was 7.6.
I felt a lot better, had energy and to be honest don’t need to eat.
But this is best I’ve felt all day. Only one lesson left and finish at 6.30 but feel quite full.

5 was just too low for me to go into a lesson knowing food was out as I would drop lower and that isn’t good. I already felt dodgy driving.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Woke up on a 6.0.

Tested at 10.45 (about to go into test so bit early) but was a 6.2 so happy with that.
By 11.45 was beginning to feel bit off. Felt very tired and no energy. Got Pupil home and tested. Was 5.6 so still happy

Had chicken thigh with mayo and 2 chipolatas. Still felt quite weak, not terribly but I could feel it. Felt like I needed to be quiet etc.

Got back to next pupil and tested at 12.55 and 35 mins after last test. Had gone down to 5.

Figured this wasn’t good given I couldn’t eat for another 2 hours and it was a complete newbie so lots and lots of talking so had a phd bar.

But this is best I’ve felt all day. Only one lesson left and finish at 6.30 but feel quite full.

5 was just too low for me to go into a lesson knowing food was out as I would drop lower and that isn’t good. I already felt dodgy driving.
Woke up on a 6.0.

Great to see you’ve given up on the bread crutch but I still don’t know why you feel the need to keep eating all the time. Your levels are utterly normal and are highly unlikely to have any correlation to how you’re feeling.
Why is 5 too low to be in a lesson? You’re not on BS reducing medication and you have a fully functioning liver.

I was a Midwife and responsible for not killing those in my charge (and saving a few) and did it regularly on no food for 6+ hours. The vast majority of acute sector workers do it on no food, tea and 12 hour shifts under enormous stress.

I think you need to deal with your feelings in other ways because this reliance on food is masking other issues.

Maybe accepting that feeling ****** occasionally is entirely normal for the vast majority of us, diabetics or not.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It would be fine. After diagnosis I stopped eating it. Only started again few weeks ago by accident. I discovered by eating a roll over several hours (made a mistake with food and had to buy emergency to work) it kept me going.

I used to flag around 4 or 5pm but I’ve done alit better.

I think my overall fear is being stranded somewhere in the car and not being able to get home because I feel lousy etc.

I think that’s wearing off.

I do suffer anxiety. Not as bad as I used to but there are times when I am just in a constant state of being scared!!

I don't know about everyone else but now I'm eating a low carb diet my BG goes up and down in very gentle waves but if I eat carbs my BG is far more spikey and hard to control.

Because of mobility issues I tend to only go out when my husband takes me and we keep an emergency kit in the boot of glucose tablets, pecans and bottles of still water. Generally, though, if we are out and about and I get hungry or know I'm going to get hungry then we stop at a supermarket and I pop in and get some cheese - often Brie (which is zero carb).

I recently did a five day fast and it really has made me look at hunger in a whole new way.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
breakfast still didn’t have a huge amount of fat. Could you add cream to coffee? Grate some cheese over the eggs? Cook in butter? How did you feel before testing at 9.45 BEFORE seeing the 5?

This tells me the feeling off was not blood sugar related. It was entirely normal but you felt bad.

so had a phd bar.
which was 3 hrs later and was still 2.6 higher (chicken and chipolatas won’t have caused much rise) so that says th phd bars rise you by quite a lot.

Had gone down to 5.
Figured this wasn’t good
why? 5 is fine. Many of us would kill for a 5. What makes you think it will keep going lower? Your liver kicks out glucose if it feel low. Your meds, I believe, shouldn’t induce hypos. You already said 4’s are quite rare for you. Have you ever had a hypo in any circumstances? Or confirmed the feeling off against a true low reading?

Think back to before you were diagnosed did you ever have similar feelings? If so then low blood sugars were unlikely back then so the cause may lay elsewhere. You mentioned a trainer at work. Is this a newish job? Could the stress (and boy I reckon it would be a stressful job having sat in with my very responsible, careful and able learner son last year) be the problem more than the food?

It does seem your body likes sitting at above 7. Is that where you want it though?

Reactions: Chook and SaskiaKC

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
breakfast still didn’t have a huge amount of fat. Could you add cream to coffee? Grate some cheese over the eggs? Cook in butter? How did you feel before testing at 9.45 BEFORE seeing the 5?

This tells me the feeling off was not blood sugar related. It was entirely normal but you felt bad.

which was 3 hrs later and was still 2.6 higher (chicken and chipolatas won’t have caused much rise) so that says th phd bars rise you by quite a lot.

why? 5 is fine. Many of us would kill for a 5. What makes you think it will keep going lower? Your liver kicks out glucose if it feel low. Your meds, I believe, shouldn’t induce hypos. You already said 4’s are quite rare for you. Have you ever had a hypo in any circumstances? Or confirmed the feeling off against a true low reading?

Think back to before you were diagnosed did you ever have similar feelings? If so then low blood sugars were unlikely back then so the cause may lay elsewhere. You mentioned a trainer at work. Is this a newish job? Could the stress (and boy I reckon it would be a stressful job having sat in with my very responsible, careful and able learner son last year) be the problem more than the food?

It does seem your body likes sitting at above 7. Is that where you want it though?

I’ll loom through properly in a bit.

Not eaten anything since lunch so that was 12.15 ish. I’m now a 4.4

Saw this and went to tesco on way home felt fine albeit tired, but left house st 7.15 so long day.

Walking round tesco stomach started feeling icky, but of headache and started to feel miserable! Got back to car and 4.4.

So yes my sugars can drop. Only got couple mins drive so going home is fine but wouldn’t want to drive long way or on faster roads. Feel quite foggy.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ll loom through properly in a bit.

Not eaten anything since lunch so that was 12.15 ish. I’m now a 4.4

Saw this and went to tesco on way home felt fine albeit tired, but left house st 7.15 so long day.

Walking round tesco stomach started feeling icky, but of headache and started to feel miserable! Got back to car and 4.4.

So yes my sugars can drop. Only got couple mins drive so going home is fine but wouldn’t want to drive long way or on faster roads. Feel quite foggy.

Again, that figure is normal. I think you need to look up how the liver and pancreas dance with each other to maintain normal BS levels.

Chances are you feel a bit grotty because you are used to running higher, if you keep eating every time you feel a bit grotty, you’ll never cure the grotty feeling. Wait and your liver will raise you BS for you and do it fairly quickly.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You had the carb raising bar mid afternoon

Just for the record 4.4 is a good number and legal to drive. How you feel may be another matter. Tired at the least I should think. And food doesn’t necessarily fix tired. And it’s meal time. Hunger then is normal but still doesn’t mean blood sugars are a problem.

Reactions: wiflib

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When you've felt tired and low have you tried having a long drink of still water. One of the things i found out about myself on my fast was that my body often confuses thirst for hunger and I then get tired and down. I went five days without food and found that food related hunger was transient but thirst disguised as hunger lasted until I drank something. Just a thought.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You had the carb raising bar mid afternoon

Just for the record 4.4 is a good number and legal to drive. How you feel may be another matter. Tired at the least I should think. And food doesn’t necessarily fix tired. And it’s meal time. Hunger then is normal but still doesn’t mean blood sugars are a problem.

Is it? Again I’ve always been told my Heath people that I need to be 5.

I wasn’t really all that hungry if it all. Just felt grotty.

When I was younger I think I used to get hyperglycaemia. I say think because it never got diagnosed but I used to get very weak and shaky and couldn’t do anything. I used to just lay and sleep and wait for it to go unless I ate something.

In my old job about 12 years ago I remember feeling lousy, no energy could barely walk etc was so weak and my assistant manager who was type 1 tested me and I was 2 something. So she fed me pasta and I was right as rain after.

Went to Drs a few times over years but was always told they couldn’t test until I was in an episode which obviously wouldn’t happen.

Do I think for years I’ve been worried about feeling like that and I am more so now I’m diagnosed.

If my sugars go down to 4.4 how do I know they won’t keep dropping. If the liver does the work and dumps glucose why does it get that low in the first place

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cana - how much fluid do you take onboard during any given day? Could you be dehydrated?

To be honest, I feel grotsville if my fluids drop and I become dehydrated.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it? Again I’ve always been told my Heath people that I need to be 5.

I wasn’t really all that hungry if it all. Just felt grotty.

When I was younger I think I used to get hyperglycaemia. I say think because it never got diagnosed but I used to get very weak and shaky and couldn’t do anything. I used to just lay and sleep and wait for it to go unless I ate something.

In my old job about 12 years ago I remember feeling lousy, no energy could barely walk etc was so weak and my assistant manager who was type 1 tested me and I was 2 something. So she fed me pasta and I was right as rain after.

Went to Drs a few times over years but was always told they couldn’t test until I was in an episode which obviously wouldn’t happen.

Do I think for years I’ve been worried about feeling like that and I am more so now I’m diagnosed.

If my sugars go down to 4.4 how do I know they won’t keep dropping. If the liver does the work and dumps glucose why does it get that low in the first place

Because 4.4 is an ideal level and your HCP’s don’t know what they are talking about. You liver is healthy and you don’t take insulin.

You need to look at the evidence yourself and stop relying on other people.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@Cana - how much fluid do you take onboard during any given day? Could you be dehydrated?

To be honest, I feel grotsville if my fluids drop and I become dehydrated.

I had had about 1 1/2 litres by time I got to tesco.
Possibly dehydrated but have to drink according to when I can get to toilet.
If I can’t get to one I can’t drink a lot.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had had about 1 1/2 litres by time I got to tesco.
Possibly dehydrated but have to drink according to when I can get to toilet.
If I can’t get to one I can’t drink a lot.

I think that might well be your problem. Being dehydrated makes me feeling almost flu like.