Type 2 How do you deal with spontaneity in food?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So everything was fab today, was due to have car serviced then 4 hours of lessons and home by 3.30!
Went completely pear shaped when service was cancelled and re organised fir 2 and suddenly my meticulously organised food bag (for up to 3pm) suddenly had to go to possibly 7.30 but ended up 7!!

So went into tesco and bought cheese roll just to pick wt and deli chicken drumsticks.

But *** I really didn’t want those chicken drumsticks. Had no appetite for them whatsoever!!

Ended up not needing them other than the bread.

But what do you guys do if suddenly plans change at a moments notice?

That’s my current learning need. I can organise but as soon as there is the slightest obstacle it all goes awry!
I just don’t know how to be spontaneous with food anymore!
Although to be fair I’m not sure I ever did given my go to would be sarnies, crisps and sweets

But I can’t keep mucking up because something happens

Edited for language by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hazelzac

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we can´t eat all we wan´t .. so we just have to learn to cope , and buy foods and treats or make them in advance so that we don´t fall in the carb poisonous trap

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
we can´t eat all we wan´t .. so we just have to learn to cope , and buy foods and treats or make them in advance so that we don´t fall in the carb poisonous trap

Hi
Yes I know but what about when things happen and preparation falls apart.

My food is planned to the last second but sometimes things happen and you have to be spontaneous.

So what do people do when plans go awry and they need to be spontaneous.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve got a shortlist of acceptable ‘emergency’ foods.

Even as a keto carnivore, its actually a pretty long list:
- all pre-cooked meats and fish
- all cheeses, preferably hard
- bottled water
- nuts, seeds like sunflower, pumpkin, and pine kernels (not carni, but we are talking emergency ;) )
- kind bars, 9bars, protein balls (not carni)
- kefir and goatsmilk yog
- 70+% choc

Going back 18 months to when I was keto and still able to eat veg and berries, it was a much longer list
All of the above, plus
- hummus, taramasalata, pates
- crustless quiches
- packs of berries
- lots of the pre-prepared salads

To be honest, quite a few of those are more processed and a bit carbier than i would normally go for, but in an ‘emergency’, then I’m happy to bend a few rules.

As far as I know, all of the above are available in nearly all supermarkets and most are available in corner shops. :)

And as for the ultimate emergency survival kit? Hot water, instant coffee (or coffee substitute) and double cream.
I can run all day on 2-3 big mugs of coffeencream, whether from a coffeeshop, a thermos, or from a heating element that plugs into the car cigarette lighter and heats a mug of water while sitting in the car.

About 15 years ago I was doing a heck of a lot of driving with my job, and I had it down pat.
Heating element for hot water.
Tea bags, herb and caffeinated.
Instant coffee.
Bottled water.
Mini pots of cream.
A camping knife, fork, spoon set
A wide shallow bowl/plate
Everything else I picked up from (mini) supermarkets, fresh on the day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

My food is planned to the last second but sometimes things happen and you have to be spontaneous.

So what do people do when plans go awry and they need to be spontaneous.
We plan on three meals a day breakfast, lunch, and dinner not that they need much planning.

Also we do not carry food around with us in a just in case scenario...

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
We plan on three meals a day breakfast, lunch, and dinner not that they need much planning.

Also we do not carry food around with us in a just in case scenario...

I have to though for work. Normally I just carry a bar if something.

But when working like today and my day suddenly grr by 4 hours I needed to make sure I could go the distance. I had food for dinner.

It was just the extra time when working.

Reactions: Freema

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I’ve got a shortlist of acceptable ‘emergency’ foods.

Even as a keto carnivore, its actually a pretty long list:
- all pre-cooked meats and fish
- all cheeses, preferably hard
- bottled water
- nuts, seeds like sunflower, pumpkin, and pine kernels (not carni, but we are talking emergency ;) )
- kind bars, 9bars, protein balls (not carni)
- kefir and goatsmilk yog
- 70+% choc

Going back 18 months to when I was keto and still able to eat veg and berries, it was a much longer list
All of the above, plus
- hummus, taramasalata, pates
- crustless quiches
- packs of berries
- lots of the pre-prepared salads

To be honest, quite a few of those are more processed and a bit carbier than i would normally go for, but in an ‘emergency’, then I’m happy to bend a few rules.

As far as I know, all of the above are available in nearly all supermarkets and most are available in corner shops. :)

And as for the ultimate emergency survival kit? Hot water, instant coffee (or coffee substitute) and double cream.
I can run all day on 2-3 big mugs of coffeencream, whether from a coffeeshop, a thermos, or from a heating element that plugs into the car cigarette lighter and heats a mug of water while sitting in the car.

About 15 years ago I was doing a heck of a lot of driving with my job, and I had it down pat.
Heating element for hot water.
Tea bags, herb and caffeinated.
Instant coffee.
Bottled water.
Mini pots of cream.
A camping knife, fork, spoon set
A wide shallow bowl/plate
Everything else I picked up from (mini) supermarkets, fresh on the day.

Thank you.

I try not to pick things up from supermarket because they always seem carbier than I want.

Today didn’t help that I just could t face more chicken (I’ve had their chicken every day this week after my cooker fiasco).

I’m also aware my body could very well have been in ultra sabotage mood because it was very anti what I should be having. Although I wasn’t necessarily craving rubbish stuff.

Can’t eat lettuce so ready prepped salad is usually a no go.

I’m trying not to eat fruit although I guess I’m emergency it’s something.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.

I try not to pick things up from supermarket because they always seem carbier than I want.

Today didn’t help that I just could t face more chicken (I’ve had their chicken every day this week after my cooker fiasco).

I’m also aware my body could very well have been in ultra sabotage mood because it was very anti what I should be having. Although I wasn’t necessarily craving rubbish stuff.

Can’t eat lettuce so ready prepped salad is usually a no go.

I’m trying not to eat fruit although I guess I’m emergency it’s something.

There are many more meats than chicken, and many more salads than lettuce (coleslaw springs to mind).

If your mindset is resistant to good, varied, low carb food options, then you can stock up with low carb shakes such as the Atkins ones and keep them in the boot of the car.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
There are many more meats than chicken, and many more salads than lettuce (coleslaw springs to mind).

If your mindset is resistant to good, varied, low carb food options, then you can stock up with low carb shakes such as the Atkins ones and keep them in the boot of the car.

Not resistant just mean that today was chicken.

Coleslaw is a good one. I can make my own salads with prep at home but shop ones tend to be lettuce.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how about a pocket full of nut almonds , macadamia or peacan, avocado is also great , homemade cheese sticks

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
how about a pocket full of nut almonds , macadamia or peacan, avocado is also great , homemade cheese sticks

It’s not what I can take and be already prepared.
It’s when things change and I don’t have them things on me.

Sometimes life changes st the last minute and you can’t be prepared for all eventualities.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s not what I can take and be already prepared.
It’s when things change and I don’t have them things on me.

Sometimes life changes st the last minute and you can’t be prepared for all eventualities.
I understand but a very little bag of peanuts is possible to keep in ones bag all the time

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I understand but a very little bag of peanuts is possible to keep in ones bag all the time

But that’s not the issue.’I have food with me at all times.

I wouldn’t do nuts because they may upset stomach in the car.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I normally have three meals a day and I don't do fasting but on occasions, I have found that I don't have anything suitable to eat when it gets to a mealtime. Simple solution, feeling hungry won't kill you, just wait until later.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why can’t you just not eat?
I never carry food around with me and my life is as far from planned as it could possibly be. If I need to eat then I’ll buy some cheese or something similar.

To be honest, I’m not exactly sure what you mean.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Why can’t you just not eat?
I never carry food around with me and my life is as far from planned as it could possibly be. If I need to eat then I’ll buy some cheese or something similar.

To be honest, I’m not exactly sure what you mean.

I don’t know. But I’m scared that something will go wrong.

It’s fine when I’m home but I am driving instructor so think that’s where fear is. I hate feeling rough while in car. It’s not conducive to me doing a good lesson.

But also because when I’m working I’d there is traffic and I can’t get somewhere I might not be able to go to a shop and find food.

But sometimes it’s not that I’m hungry I just start feeling rough. I feel sick, stomach pains and just general start to feel white quite lousy.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t know. But I’m scared that something will go wrong.

It’s fine when I’m home but I am driving instructor so think that’s where fear is. I hate feeling rough while in car. It’s not conducive to me doing a good lesson.

But also because when I’m working I’d there is traffic and I can’t get somewhere I might not be able to go to a shop and find food.

But sometimes it’s not that I’m hungry I just start feeling rough. I feel sick, stomach pains and just general start to feel white quite lousy.

Thats of cause not good to feel lousy , you could measure your blood glucose though at those times and if you should be in spite of type 2 low like under 4.8 mmol then you could of cause buy some little carby treat as an exception , I still sin sometimes I must admit and can’t stay away from the sweet treats all the time , but I also exercise 8 hours a week cardio and muscle building , if all the other meals are very low carb in a day you might have space for an exception once in a while , we are all very different , I use sugar free gum a lot makes me cope with the many hours of exercising besides music or lectures in my ears ,didn’t use to fancy exercising but now I have to.