Type 2 How do you deal with spontaneity in food?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No carbs at all?
Don’t we need some even a tiny amount?
Or does the natural carbs in food cover that?

I am fine at weekends but then I’m at home where nothing can happen or I’m close to things.
No we don’t actually need any at all. Our liver will produce what is essential from protein. That said actually having none at all is quite hard unless you are totally carnivorous. All veg and dairy has low levels of carbs so that is where most of us get the bulk of our carbs from.

Or are you thinking purely of the rice, pasta, potato, sugar, flour, cereal and bread items (obvious starchy carbs). In which case no you can happily exist without any of these at all.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No carbs at all?

I am fine at weekends but then I’m at home where nothing can happen or I’m close to things.

Cana,
We need the vits and minerals (and some people say we need the fibre) that come with certain foods that contain carbs.
But it isn’t the carbs we need.

So no, we don’t need carbs. They are not necessary for human health.
We can survive excellently on proteins and fats.
So eating low carb veg and meat, fish, eggs, dairy, vegetarian protein sources can provide everything we need.
Carby foods like bread, rice, porridge, pasta and potato are not necessary, and provide no nutrients that can’t be found elsewhere, from foods with less carb intake.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So there you have it. You're better without them. Nothing is going wrong at weekends. The boot of your car is close enough to have stuff for reassurance or if something actually does happen.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So there you have it. You're better without them. Nothing is going wrong at weekends. The boot of your car is close enough to have stuff for reassurance or if something actually does happen.

Fab thank you.

Sorry for being so dense everyone.

Think it’s because when I got diagnosed I did no carb free completely and nurse and Dr told me off because they said on my tablets I need some carbs as my tablets remove sugar.

I’ll give it a go this week!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fab thank you.

Sorry for being so dense everyone.

Think it’s because when I got diagnosed I did no carb free completely and nurse and Dr told me off because they said on my tablets I need some carbs as my tablets remove sugar.

I’ll give it a go this week!!

I just checked your profile and it says you are on Forxiga.
Are you still on it?
Did your nurse prescribe it knowing that it would increase urination which would make life difficult for you while being a driving instructor?

And have you been experiencing any hypos?
Forxiga may cause low blood glucose.
But that doesn’t mean that it will.

If you aren’t experiencing hypos on the weekends, with your weekend eating, then you could well be fine during the week on the same foods/carb intake.

And if you now have your blood glucose under control with low carbing, it may be a good idea to have a chat with your nurse about stopping the Forxiga. It would certainly make your life as a driving instructor easier!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No we don’t actually need any at all. Our liver will produce what is essential from protein. That said actually having none at all is quite hard unless you are totally carnivorous. All veg and dairy has low levels of carbs so that is where most of us get the bulk of our carbs from.

Or are you thinking purely of the rice, pasta, potato, sugar, flour, cereal and bread items (obvious starchy carbs). In which case no you can happily exist without any of these at all.

I think there could be some individual differences like some people have developed the ability of being able to drink milk even when being adults but most in the world can't do that... but for instance, I had a boyfriend that was a very great chessplayer he used to lose 4 kg in a tournament in a weekend from only thinking... and he did eat also ... I think if a person is able to use much more brain power than usual then there could be a problem when having to have the body convert proteins into blood glucose in such a speed... but I don't know that for sure... but I wonder if we would be totally the same when it comes to being able to live only from ketones..and also thrive all along this eating style to the same degree.. But if the body never gets adapted to producing ketones as the substitute then it probably won't just shift from day to day, after all the "low carb flu" would probably be due to the body not being able initially to produce enough ketones... and transform poteins into the basic needed level of blood glucose

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I just checked your profile and it says you are on Forxiga.
Are you still on it?
Did your nurse prescribe it knowing that it would increase urination which would make life difficult for you while being a driving instructor?

And have you been experiencing any hypos?
Forxiga may cause low blood glucose.
But that doesn’t mean that it will.

If you aren’t experiencing hypos on the weekends, with your weekend eating, then you could well be fine during the week on the same foods/carb intake.

And if you now have your blood glucose under control with low carbing, it may be a good idea to have a chat with your nurse about stopping the Forxiga. It would certainly make your life as a driving instructor easier!

I couldn’t have metformin as that made me too Ill. She considered others but with my history of bad IBS she said forxiga was the best option. But yes she is aware of the job.

At the beginning she was talking of putting my stomach on anti depressants because it was so bad but with reducing carbs it’s hugely better.

I have chatted to her about coming off them but she wants me in normal range then come off and monitor.

But yes I have said to her so I have to put enough sugar in for the meds to take it out again

But as long as my sugars are coming down I’m happy doing whatever.

I’m not getting hypos but I can feel quite rough if I’m out and about. Sitting at home doing nothing but sitting on sofa knitting and crochet is fine. Out and about and I feel bit low sometimes so if I am out I tend to have bit more carbs. Don’t think I get hypos but I can go lower.

But seems quite hard work to get into the 3s. Like when I had stomach upset etc.

But they told me I need to be 5 to drove so I’m always aware of that, hence why I don’t usually test when working. Otherwise I then have to wait till I’m a 5.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Are you dropping below 4mmol?

No

Recently I’m
Hardly dropping into the 5s let alone the 4s.
Last couple weeks I keep waking up in 6s not 5.

But when I’m
Working I’m not testing so probably don’t know even if I am

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But they told me I need to be 5 to drove so I’m always aware of that, hence why I don’t usually test when working. Otherwise I then have to wait till I’m a 5.

It’s actually below 4 you can’t drive if you are on insulin. Below 5 you should take action to raise it. If you do go under 4 then you have to wait 45 mins after it get back up to 5 to drive in order to recover. https://assets.publishing.service.g...e-to-insulin-treated-diabetes-and-driving.pdf
And if you do need to test you must do it, failing to test is the same as failing the test. Playing ignorance/avoidance of knowing your levels doesn’t cut it legally.

On other meds there doesn’t seem to be a requirement to test https://assets.publishing.service.g...vers-with-diabetes-treated-by-non-insulin.pdf
Someone please correct me if that’s wrong or out of date

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It’s actually below 4 you can’t drive if you are on insulin. Below 5 you should take action to raise it https://assets.publishing.service.g...e-to-insulin-treated-diabetes-and-driving.pdf
And if you do need to test you must do it, failing to test is the same as failing the test. Playing ignorance/avoidance of knowing your levels doesn’t cut it legally.

On other meds there doesn’t seem to be a requirement to test https://assets.publishing.service.g...vers-with-diabetes-treated-by-non-insulin.pdf
Someone please correct me if that’s wrong or out of date

My dr last year said to me I had to be 5 to drive. That if I didn’t test and didn’t know then that was fine.

I’m not in insulin but it’s complicated because it could be issue if something happens and my meter shows I was below 5. So even though as type 2 I don’t have to because I can’t go hypo if they find the meter it could itself cause problems.

And she said you need to be 5 to drive. And to be honest even in low 5s I don’t feel fab so I would want to drive in 4s anyway

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
No carbs at all?

No, you don't need carbs. T2 is a lot like having a carb allergy and the less we eat the better we tend to feel (after the initial carb flu and struggle to change mind-set). Carbs make me tired, sluggish and crave more carbs. They are particularly a disaster for breakfast when many of us are even less tolerant of them.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No

Recently I’m
Hardly dropping into the 5s let alone the 4s.
Last couple weeks I keep waking up in 6s not 5.

But when I’m
Working I’m not testing so probably don’t know even if I am
I see - so you're still perfectly legal to drive at those BG levels, so no need to worry about that. Would any of your pupils be desperately offended if you were to do a quick blood test? I'm a teacher, and my students never bat an eyelid - it's sometimes turned into a really good conversation.

Why not invest in a Libre sensor or two? You can discreetly scan it with your phone, and see exactly what's going on in-between scans. It could be a good investment for your business, and your health!

As for the law, (and I'm pretty up to date on this, as I'm in the process of getting my Group 2 licence) it just says you cannot drive while hypo - which the DVLA specifies as below 4mmol. If you test and are between 4 and 5, you must take some carbohydrate - I use a dextrose tablet or two. If you become hypo while driving you must pull over, take carbohydrate and wait 45 minutes after your blood reaches 5mmol. However, DVLA are now (since Feb 15th this year) accepting Libre readings for cars and motorbikes, so it could be really good for you.

Reactions: HSSS and Freema

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there could be some individual differences like some people have developed the ability of being able to drink milk even when being adults but most in the world can't do that... but for instance, I had a boyfriend that was a very great chessplayer he used to lose 4 kg in a tournament in a weekend from only thinking... and he did eat also ... I think if a person is able to use much more brain power than usual then there could be a problem when having to have the body convert proteins into blood glucose in such a speed... but I don't know that for sure... but I wonder if we would be totally the same when it comes to being able to live only from ketones..and also thrive all along this eating style to the same degree.. But if the body never gets adapted to producing ketones as the substitute then it probably won't just shift from day to day, after all the "low carb flu" would probably be due to the body not being able initially to produce enough ketones... and transform poteins into the basic needed level of blood glucose
Not sure that’s the same thing with ketones and lactose. I also think you’re mixing up going keto and producing ketones with a simple reduction of carbs but still running on glucose. That just means only the carbs you actually use rather than excessive unused amounts floating around doing damage because we don’t have the insulin sensitivity to use them or clear them properly. My understanding is carb flu is more of a withdrawal and adaptation to lower blood glucose levels than an inability to produce ketones.

But regardless, I agree different things suit different people.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I see - so you're still perfectly legal to drive at those BG levels, so no need to worry about that. Would any of your pupils be desperately offended if you were to do a quick blood test? I'm a teacher, and my students never bat an eyelid - it's sometimes turned into a really good conversation.

Why not invest in a Libre sensor or two? You can discreetly scan it with your phone, and see exactly what's going on in-between scans. It could be a good investment for your business, and your health!

As for the law, (and I'm pretty up to date on this, as I'm in the process of getting my Group 2 licence) it just says you cannot drive while hypo - which the DVLA specifies as below 4mmol. If you test and are between 4 and 5, you must take some carbohydrate - I use a dextrose tablet or two. If you become hypo while driving you must pull over, take carbohydrate and wait 45 minutes after your blood reaches 5mmol. However, DVLA are now (since Feb 15th this year) accepting Libre readings for cars and motorbikes, so it could be really good for you.

Not sure about the testing.

My trainer doesn’t like me eating On lessons so not sure how this would go down.

Not sure if it becomes the same as using a mobile device which you can’t do. It’s treated same as driving.

So couldn’t scan anything with phone while teaching as that’s illegal to use or touch phone.

Reactions: Freema

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The links I found ( above ) show this is the law as it applies to insulin users. The rules for other meds don’t seem to specify. I guess in the case of greatest caution such a person could follow the stricter rules but it doesn’t appear to be a legal requirement