New to metformin

Toni c

Hi, ive been type 2 diabetic since 2014 diet controlled, and was high sugars and always had good cholesterol level, but also have high blood pressure, well i lost some weight and my diabetic nurse put on my file diabetes RESOLVED and my blood pressure was that of a normal reading.
Fast forward my dad passed away suddenly in 2015 and i ate my feelings and then 3 years later last June my mum passed away suddenly too so that did it id comfort eat Lidl's ice creams and cinnamon buns when kids and fella at work, and its all crept back up and following my diabetic review bloods done last Tuesday (still have to have them even if its resolved) the nurse called me Friday morning to say my blood sugars are 80 and my cholesterol is 6.8! She said something is defo going on because it was normal last years review?! So has put me on metformin and a stain for the cholesterol, im just hoping that it will help me sort my weight out as ive cut out junk comfort food and started on healthier meals and shock horror i joined a gym, just wondering will these meds help me not feel so tired and sluggish? And help along the way with the gym and better food choices?
Thank you in advance for any advice on this x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - they made me feel dreadful and I could not leave the house - but there are others who manage very well with Metformin and a statin.
The tired and sluggish is more likely to be from the carbs you are eating. Cutting them out and going for low carb foods - so you have enough to eat and all full of good nutrients, vitamins and minerals instead of empty sugars and starches should bring you back into normal numbers, and with normal energy levels quite quickly.

Toni c

Well - they made me feel dreadful and I could not leave the house - but there are others who manage very well with Metformin and a statin.
The tired and sluggish is more likely to be from the carbs you are eating. Cutting them out and going for low carb foods - so you have enough to eat and all full of good nutrients, vitamins and minerals instead of empty sugars and starches should bring you back into normal numbers, and with normal energy levels quite quickly.

Thank you x thats what i hoping with changing foods and the gym thats a big step for me x

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Toni,
I recently lost my dad, so totally understand what your going thru.
We all make mistakes, please don't be hard on yourself.
Hopefully eating low carb will help you and going to the gym.
Metformin didn't agree with me either, plenty of different drugs.
There is a slow release Metformin, which some people tolerate better.
Hope you achieve non-diabetic levels very soon.
Always here to listen, you can message me to if you'd like.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Tagging @daisy1 for her welcome pack.
Take care

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I am so sorry for your loss @Toni c but good on you for getting back into the swing of things. Like all meds it's always going to be a unique reaction for everyone but joining a gym and eating better? Always the best idea to get yourself off them!

Reactions: 1spuds and Toni c

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Toni and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you’ve had a tough time lately. I was diagnosed two years ago and immediately went low carb, I was also started on Metformin. In 4 months my blood sugars were back to normal and two years down the line I’m 6 1/2 stone lighter. I have way more energy so hopefully this regime will do the same for you. Just remember that Metformin is a mild drug as far as the diabetes is concerned, diet is the key really. Metformin does help some people with weight loss too as it stops the carbs you do eat from being absorbed so much. Have a read of daisy1’s info post, it’ll arrive on this thread when next she’s on line, particularly the role of carbohydrates.