Diabetics R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I shouldn't grumble. Can't imagine what it must be like to have eczema all over the body like some poor children have.
Which is no reason at all not to grumble. There are always people who are worse off than you or I or anyone. That doesn't mean we have to go through life being happy about the bad things that happen to us.

Reactions: heh and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Which is no reason at all not to grumble. There are always people who are worse off than you or I or anyone. That doesn't mean we have to go through life being happy about the bad things that happen to us.
This is true.

But sometimes when someone is complaining about having a bad hair day or a pimple I just want to smack them.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is true.

But sometimes when someone is complaining about having a bad hair day or a pimple I just want to smack them.
Like the drunk man who shouted that he wished he had a wheelchair like mine so he could get home from the pub more easily.
BY! That man got a mouthful, I can tell you!

Reactions: heh

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Like the drunk man who shouted that he wished he had a wheelchair like mine so he could get home from the pub more easily.
BY! That man got a mouthful, I can tell you!
What an idiot. Hope he remembered what you told him and felt like dying of shame the next morning.
But I must admit there have been nights where I was happy I could hold on to the handles of my friends'wheelchair while walking home. We have tried stacking people on top of my non-walking friend too, as it seemed easier than walking but that only ended in bruised knees and abrased hands for all of us. On the other hand, I've carried that friend to the pub a couple of times as well when not having the wheelchair due to making sailing trips on a very small boat, so it seemed only fair for him to return the favour

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What an idiot. Hope he remembered what you told him and felt like dying of shame the next morning.
But I must admit there have been nights where I was happy I could hold on to the handles of my friends'wheelchair while walking home. We have tried stacking people on top of my non-walking friend too, as it seemed easier than walking but that only ended in bruised knees and abrased hands for all of us. On the other hand, I've carried that friend to the pub a couple of times as well when not having the wheelchair due to making sailing trips on a very small boat, so it seemed only fair for him to return the favour
This was in the mid afternoon, the drunk was staggering all over the pavement.

I heard the story of a man who got through five electric wheelchairs and then was refused a sixth because the NHS said he should replace them himself if he continued to break them on his way home from the pub. Mine is 12 years old!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I heard the story of a man who got through five electric wheelchairs and then was refused a sixth because the NHS said he should replace them himself if he continued to break them on his way home from the pub.
My friend had a very sturdy, non electric one, so not much we could break, even had we tried.
But 12 years with the same wheelchair deserves a medal!

Reactions: heh and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My friend had a very sturdy, non electric one, so not much we could break, even had we tried.
But 12 years with the same wheelchair deserves a medal!
She is a bit shabby around the edges and can make some alarming knocking sounds (a bit like myself) but she's done well. Pity they stopped making this model. I have toyed with the idea of a power chair next time because the range is better. Perhaps if I stopped buying walnut furniture I could get one ;).

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm watching a 1963 Dean Martin - Frank Sinatra western. Dean just took off with all the horses, leaving Frank behind in the desert and telling him, "You're right about those boots. They sure ain't made for walkin'" and leaving me wondering if that line was the inspiration for Nancy Sinatra's 1966 hit song.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just saved the sweetest 3 day old lamb from drowning!
I was preparing for bed and shouting to a dog to stop barking in the garden in the middle of the night when a neighbour yelled there was a lamb in the canal. So after a search in another neighbour's very dark garden we found it and I went in and got it out :)
We woke up the owner of the sheep and helped him warm up the lamb and move his 8 sheep to a safer place away from the canal.
Now I'm back home, utterly happy, with nettle stings on my bum and thistle scratches on my arm and wet clothes and soppy shoes and a hypo, and nowhere near ready to sleep :) What a perfect ending of my day!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I just saved the sweetest 3 day old lamb from drowning!
I was preparing for bed and shouting to a dog to stop barking in the garden in the middle of the night when a neighbour yelled there was a lamb in the canal. So after a search in another neighbour's very dark garden we found it and I went in and got it out :)
We woke up the owner of the sheep and helped him warm up the lamb and move his 8 sheep to a safer place away from the canal.
Now I'm back home, utterly happy, with nettle stings on my bum and thistle scratches on my arm and wet clothes and soppy shoes and a hypo, and nowhere near ready to sleep :) What a perfect ending of my day!
Total hero! But get warm and take it steady.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Total hero! But get warm and take it steady.
No way I could get cold with 5 dogs and a cat in my bed :)
The hypo wasn't a very low one and the perfect excuse to drink a few sips of this very sweet alcoholic honey-licorice drink my best friend gave me :)

When she gave it to me as a thank you for taking care of her dogs all the time I was astonished she'd give me something I can't drink. Yes I know she has learning problems but she seems to have a very good grasp of what diabetes is about.
She only looked at me very smugly and told me to thank her next time I went hypo and wanted something festive instead of stupid sweets.
Turns out she's way smarter than I am :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No way I could get cold with 5 dogs and a cat in my bed :)
The hypo wasn't a very low one and the perfect excuse to drink a few sips of this very sweet alcoholic honey-licorice drink my best friend gave me :)

When she gave it to me as a thank you for taking care of her dogs all the time I was astonished she'd give me something I can't drink. Yes I know she has learning problems but she seems to have a very good grasp of what diabetes is about.
She only looked at me very smugly and told me to thank her next time I went hypo and wanted something festive instead of stupid sweets.
Turns out she's way smarter than I am :)
Ahh, that is so sweet. Good friends are beyond gold.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yay, @Antje77 ! You are a hero. And your friend is too. :)
Agree! I already knew my friend is a hero and it feels quite strange to agree to be a hero myself but without me there would have been a very sad neighbour, an even sadder mother sheep (it was very panicked, which alarmed the other neighbour) and a saddest fluffy little thing floating in the canal.
Now fingers crossed it hasn't got too cold and will survive the night. When I forced a finger in it's mouth it felt cold which isn't good, but it also had a strong suckling reflex, which is very good, I think.
I'll go have a look tomorrow and post a picture if all is well!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Agree! I already knew my friend is a hero and it feels quite strange to agree to be a hero myself but without me there would have been a very sad neighbour, an even sadder mother sheep (it was very panicked, which alarmed the other neighbour) and a saddest fluffy little thing floating in the canal.
Now fingers crossed it hasn't got too cold and will survive the night. When I forced a finger in it's mouth it felt cold which isn't good, but it also had a strong suckling reflex, which is very good, I think.
I'll go have a look tomorrow and post a picture if all is well!
Fingers an d toes crossed.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

Another stupid o'clock for me o_O

Well done saving the likkle lamb @Antje77

Have a good day.

H :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

Another stupid o'clock for me o_O

Well done saving the likkle lamb @Antje77

Have a good day.

H :)

source.gif

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just went over to my neighbours place and all is well with the lamb :) Not sure which one it was, as it was dark and I wasn't really paying attention to its spots last night so I'll show you a picture of all 3 lambs :) After all, there's no such thing as too many pictures of fluffy little lambs!
60120853_10217553439822192_4779856188751740928_n.jpg

60179429_10217553473263028_1457232912624648192_n.jpg

60067944_10217553476503109_4310072790469312512_n.jpg