T2s: What was your fasting BG this morning, and what did you eat yesterday?

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Prem51 For non insulin and non medicating T2’s isn’t the goal to be as close to non diabetic levels as possible ie under five point something? The 4-7 range is for managing with insulin or medication?

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday 11/05/2019
FBG(06:30) 4.1 (After 84 hours fasting)
Ketones 1.5
Total Weight loss 1.7 Kg

18:00 Blood sugars 4.4 (After 4 days liquid fasting)
18:00 Bone Broth - Broke the fasting
Full day working in Garden
Fitbit Steps By end of day 14500

Sunday 12/05/2019
FBG(06:50) 4.7

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday 12/05/2019

07:45 Breakfast Two boiled Eggs, Berries Smoothie

13:15 Lunch- Cauliflower Rice, Salad, Papad
Oven Cooked Sweet Potato, Carrots
Chicken cooked with spinach

20:30 Blood Sugar 6.8
20:30 Dinner- 40Grams of Cauliflower rice
Very Little chicken left over

Busy doing gardening and other stuff

Fitbit steps 14500 by end of day

Monday 13/05/2019
FGB(06:15) - 6.7

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Prem51 For non insulin and non medicating T2’s isn’t the goal to be as close to non diabetic levels as possible ie under five point something? The 4-7 range is for managing with insulin or medication?
Fasting reading of 5s IS close to normal... even for non diabetics. Or am I getting it wrong? I usually go by the US numbers (mg / dl) and below 110 (though ideally below 100) at fasting would be considered ok. Anyway good luck and hopefully you reach your target soon. I noticed last few days I included apple cider vinegar in my salads at dinner and it seems to have had a definite impact on my morning numbers. Not drinking a lot, just using it in dressing ... Olive oil + Apple cider vinegar...

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
0700-FBG after 9 hr fast-4.83
0710-green tea
0830-2 sausage patty,1 egg,tomato
1315-2 slices Fathead pizza
2000-steak with mushroom and onions sauteed in butter.Broccoli and zucchini,steamed and with butter
2020-2 small clementines
2230-BG-5.77

0630-FBG after 10 hours fast,hopefully fast until 1000-4.94

Looking to progress to next step 3 meals a day in 8 hour window and 16 hr fasts.Weight has plateaued around 217-216 lbs.Reading that it may be related to protein and increasing muscle mass while losing fat...so I added abdominal girth to my measurements and also ordered some urine ketone strips to see if I ever made ketosis.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are doing very very well in just a very short time.Youve only started,wait and see what a bit more time does,I think you are going to be very pleased.
For some,a 4 is possible.Others 5,still others 6 and 7.A lot depends on our own bodies,we are all at different levels.
I was eating corn,and my 2 hr post meal BG was pretty darn good.I decided to see if stopping it would matter and it dropped my fasting sugars 5-10 points.So it might be you have 1 food or so that is holding you up.IDK,just what happened to me.I will still eat corn,like corn tortillas for taco,but now its only an occasional thing,not a daily.Sooo....it was say hello to green beans,much better sugars and still mighty tasty!

Last edited:

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also,here is a 6 hour course broken into 6 segments.Its the best thing Ive ever seen to educate yourself on diabetes and obesity.This man nails it with good science and not agenda.

I have watched 1.5 hours of first two videos and i agree it is worth watching.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May 13
FBG 5.6 at 0830, food yesterday was;

Breakfast: 3/4 cup honey nut cheerios w/2% milk, black tea, 500 mg metformin
Lunch: Boston Pizza "Royal" (individual size) and 1 pint "Rickards Red"
Dinner: stir fried shrimp, bean sprouts, onions, carrots and snap peas, glass of red wine, black tea (forgot to take metformin)
Snack: 2 beef pepperoni sausages, 2 glasses rum w/diet Pepsi

D

Deleted member 371625

Monday 13/5
FBG (05:30) 4.0
Breakfast 1 (5.30am): Porridge (almond milk), plum, blackcurrants, pecans {270 Cal / 36.6g Carbs}
….………………………...….2 mile run
……………………………….7 x 500m [sprints, 1 minute rests] on rowing machine
Breakfast 2 (8.30am): Mackerel (in tomato sauce), toast (one slice, sourdough) {303 Cal / 17.4g Carbs}

Lunch (12pm): Mushroom & fennel soup {85 Cal / 2.8g Carbs}
Chicken, fig, avocado & hummus salad {375 Cal / 16.8g Carbs}
Peach, blackberries, yoghurt, cashews {118 Cal / 12.0g Carbs}

Dinner (6pm): Rabbit stew, celeriac mash, carrots, green beans, red cabbage {411 Cal / 39.6g Carbs}
Rhubarb with macadamia & pecan crumble, ice cream {279 Cal / 31.3g Carbs}

4 cups of coffee (2 decaf)

Calories 1920
Carbs 167.3g
Protein 121.2g
Fat 73.1g (Sat Fat 16.7g / Trans fats 0.7g)

All food cooked from scratch, if you would like any recipes please just ask

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That might be the advice in Australia, but in UK our NHS (NICE) guidelines are that fbgs for Type 2s should be between 4-7:

Screenshot 2018-07-30 at 10.58.43.png

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That might be the advice in Australia, but in UK our NHS (NICE) guidelines are that fbgs for Type 2s should be between 4-7:

View attachment 32897
The part that always confuses me is "AT LEAST after 90 minutes", because if I measure at 91 minutes I may not be in range but if I measure at 120 minutes I may already be in range. So... Any thoughts, what I should focus on. I tend to measure at 2 hours or sometimes a little earlier.... but why do they say "AT LEAST"... I mean I could measure after 3 hours and feel complacent?!?!? no?? Or is my understanding wrong?!??! Well, English is not my first language, after all!!

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The part that always confuses me is "AT LEAST after 90 minutes", because if I measure at 91 minutes I may not be in range but if I measure at 120 minutes I may already be in range. So... Any thoughts, what I should focus on. I tend to measure at 2 hours or sometimes a little earlier.... but why do they say "AT LEAST"... I mean I could measure after 3 hours and feel complacent?!?!? no?? Or is my understanding wrong?!??! Well, English is not my first language, after all!!
It sounds like you are doing very well, give yourself a pat on the back... AND a raise in salary!!!

Reactions: 1spuds
D

Deleted member 371625

An average BG measurement of 6.0 mmol/L would equate to a HbA1c of 35.3 mmol/mol which is well within the normal, non-diabetic range of under 42. Seriously you are doing just great as prem51 says..

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Monday 13/05/2019

07:10 Breakfast: Oven Cooked Omelette
Two spoons of Nuts Mixture

Cycle to Work and back home Cycling
3 Green Tea and One Black Coffee at work

18:40 Blood Sugar Before Dinner 5.2

18:40 Dinner- Cauliflower, Courgette, Red pepper, Aubergine, Mushroom stir fry
Asparagus pan fried
Salad and Papad
Two spoons of Nuts Mixture

Tuesday 14/05/2019
FGB(06:50) - 6.0

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well I suppose it's a matter of personal interpretation. Some carbs are absorbed into the blood stream more quickly than others so I think it says 'at least 90 minutes' to give time for the carbs to show in your bg reading. When I test I do it two hours after the first mouthful. Some on this forum test at 1, 2 and 3 hours to see how bgs rise over a period.

Reactions: Venkat K and Shas3

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May 14 Tuesday
FBG at 0750 was 4.3, food yesterday was;

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with a slice of fried ham, black tea, 500 mg metformin
Lunch: 2 chunks of cheese (brie), 1/4 cup unsalted cashews, 4 dried apricots, black tea
Dinner: 1/4 roast chicken (skin on), stir fried snap peas, garden salad w/Kraft Thousand Islands dressing, glass of red wine, 500 mg metformin
Snack: 1 shot of white rum w/diet Pepsi

Temp +10C and cloudy skies, checking out engine rebuilding options plus fixing daughter #1's front bumper cover...

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
0630-FBG after 10 hr fast- 4.94
1020 thru 0330-Assorted food and drink.

1230 next day FBG-4.94

Weird night,tired now so this will have to do,they cant all be gems,eh? :bored: :) Off to play with garden,finally after 10 years figuring out carrots,LOL!, and drink some coffee.Ya'll have a great evening and Cheers from beautiful Southern Calif mtns today at the 5000 foot level.

Last edited: