Type 1'stars R Us

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
He's absolutely lovely! Lucky dog to be able to be out and about with you so much.

Mind you my husband is retired and has our two with him almost all the time. I'm looking forward to my own retirement (3.5 years) and that's one of the reasons.
@WuTwo I hope to retire in just over 3 years as well although it will be 3 years before the state pension so need to work out the finances. I’m going partially retired this September - dropping down from 5 to 3 days and really looking forward to it.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre is a great tool but boy can it only really be used as a rough guide at times, especially as it gets towards the last couple of days. Since about 7pm tonight it has been off the scale and showing LO, which I believe is around BG 2.2 or less. Feel fine and a blood test has me at BG 4.5.

Having said that I had pizza for lunch today and even spaghetti for dinner and my BG have been really good, stayed around BG 5.0 or lower since around 6.30 pm which to be honest is a complete surprise. Especially the pizza, as I have pretty much avoided pizza for years as carbs are so high.

Maybe my pump knows this will be its last time helping me out for a few weeks as I am just about to go back onto MDI for a couple of weeks for my holiday. How do I inject again:angelic::angelic:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@WuTwo I hope to retire in just over 3 years as well although it will be 3 years before the state pension so need to work out the finances. I’m going partially retired this September - dropping down from 5 to 3 days and really looking forward to it.

5 years for me, so hope it goes quickly, but enjoyable too :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi all colanders, sieves and leaky ones,
I have just spent 4 days in our nation's capital, Canberra.
The city has risen vertically since my last visit 5 years ago. And it now boasts a tram service. But remains a clean looking, sunny but fristy city.
The reason for my visit was appearing as a witness for a court case, one in which a mother and daughter ( my ex-wife) were in dispute over the percentage of monetary interest each held in the mother's home. The recent discussions about Alzheimer's disease is relevant as the mother now suffers with this condition and cannot testify to matters which occurred some some 20 years ago up to recent times.
Sale of the property in question is held up by the daughter who is seeking an increased share in the property.
From the diabetic angle i was able to use the combination of my low carb diet and 'judicious' adjustments of my pump's basal rate to cope with the 'grilling' from the daughter's barrister. Sitting in afterwards provided an interesting experience in how legal eagles phrase their questions, as well as on court procedure and ettiquette.
And why it us far better to thrash this sort of thing out at the kitchen table, keep receipts and other records and avoid court and lawyers as much as possible!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning chaps. All smooth here overnight following a very nice day at the quilting show. I probably should have gone to work and earned some cash instead of just spending it, but I was quite restrained (for me). Last year I took out a “subscription” quilt, where you pay monthly and they send you a kit to make the patchwork front each month. I’ve got all the parts for the front, so bought the fluff and some linen for the back yesterday, so I’ve got everything I need to finish it during the summer holidays - I won’t be teaching so will need free entertainment!

Back to reality today and job-share teaching. Preparing my year tens for their GCSE mock next week, which means bribing them with biscuits. So off a bit early to stop in at Asda on the way to school.

Have a good one x

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

I will retire when my State Pension kicks in. I am already part time - I do three half days and one full day each week. Have to say it's worth every penny of the reduced income. When I do retire, the two of us will have sufficient in pension contributions (work and state) to mean that although we'll have less money than we do now, we'll be able to cope. Thankfully we don't smoke, or drink (we are each on assorted meds that rule it out) and veganism (if you cook from basic ingredients) is one of life's cheap options.

Like @Robinredbreast says though, I plan on enjoying the time until then and not just wishing it gone.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

@Mel dCP as far as I am concerned biscuit bribery is the way forward for my students! They know it's been a bad day when I lock the filing cabinet where the biscuits are kept. (That's usually to stop the staff raiding them. The students always ask first.) Also, my lot work physically hard and wear off the effects, plus none of them (except some of the staff) are greedy either.

The other good thing about the biscuits being available has been being able to spot when there are students who normally are not greedy suddenly becoming so, and we've been able to get to the bottom of issues that they wouldn't tell us about necessarily (financial problems or lack of food at home) but would admit to if I sidle up and ask the questions carefully during the biscuit munching.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning peeps hope you all had a good night.

Well come off the pump last night had my usual amount of Basal insulin around 10.30 and went to bed with BG of 7.6. Woke up this morning to a horrible 15.8.

The insulin has been left in fridge for a few months untouched but this was a new vial and is well in date. Have now taken Bolus and basal so lets see how this goes this morning.

Revenge of the pump??????

Reactions: kitedoc

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FB_IMG_1555051534817.jpg

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning teabags, have a good Friday.
I agree, @WuTwo, enjoy the time leading up to retirement as much as possible, live for now, not for later. I’d intended to retire later than I did, at state pension plus five years, but left three years earlier than the plan when the work I was involved in became a simulation of a fight in the Coliseum. I’d enjoyed it til that then.
Well done to @kitedoc keeping bloods controlled in what sounds like a horrid family situation.
Grey clouds here, no rain but cooler and no sun for the solar fountain in the pond. Or the panels on the roof - thank goodness we used as much as we could over the last two days when everything was charged, washed, showered, bread-maker baked to the full.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning everyone
What a horrid Friday! Coild AND wet. Don't like this at all
Straight line again thru the night, just been spoiled by a Lo of 3.8. Same breakfast every morning and pretty similar bolus every morning BUT todays bolus has worked too well......oh the joys lol. Cuppa tea with sugar :)

@smc4761 good luck going back onto MDI for a few weeks. I am off to Turkey at the end of September and 'Mike' will defo be tagging along with me.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, miserable grey and damp day in Somerset. V busy here with an event in my village this weekend so I'm hoping the rain gods find somewhere else to go on Sunday. Hope you're all enjoyingthe fact that it's Friday.

Oh, and how is it that I wake up with bg 9.2, within 5 minutes take insulin for breakfast and a correction, 25 mins later 9.3 so I eat normal breakfast. Literally 5 mins later 10.5 and rising slowly, hour and a quarter later 15.6 and still rising. An hour and a quarter after that, after a not particularly energetic walk, 10.8 falling slowly. Is my Humalog just taking forever to kick in? Or am I missing something obvious? Not an over-used site, nor one I'd expect to respond erratically. Mystified.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kitedoc hope you had cheese on toast under that grilling! sounds interesting. I also want to know what 'fristy' means?

Just had bloods taken ready for my appointment in a few weeks, I had emailed my DSN asking what time the drop-in blood nurses station was open from, 08:30 was the reply, so I get there for 08:30 in a bit of a hurry so I'm not too late for work......the place is a ghost town and more annoyingly theres notice up saying the drop in is open from 8 'til 9am I eventually found some one to ask, just take a seat and wait your turn basically, wait for what? Oh the nurse to turn up! 10 to 9 I get seen..........:meh:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@kitedoc hope you had cheese on toast under that grilling! sounds interesting. I also want to know what 'fristy' means?

Just had bloods taken ready for my appointment in a few weeks, I had emailed my DSN asking what time the drop-in blood nurses station was open from, 08:30 was the reply, so I get there for 08:30 in a bit of a hurry so I'm not too late for work......the place is a ghost town and more annoyingly theres notice up saying the drop in is open from 8 'til 9am I eventually found some one to ask, just take a seat and wait your turn basically, wait for what? Oh the nurse to turn up! 10 to 9 I get seen..........:meh:
Umm!, fristy is a typo for frosty !!

Reactions: WuTwo

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all!

@Mel dCP as far as I am concerned biscuit bribery is the way forward for my students! They know it's been a bad day when I lock the filing cabinet where the biscuits are kept. (That's usually to stop the staff raiding them. The students always ask first.) Also, my lot work physically hard and wear off the effects, plus none of them (except some of the staff) are greedy either.

The other good thing about the biscuits being available has been being able to spot when there are students who normally are not greedy suddenly becoming so, and we've been able to get to the bottom of issues that they wouldn't tell us about necessarily (financial problems or lack of food at home) but would admit to if I sidle up and ask the questions carefully during the biscuit munching.

They've gone down very well so far, it's not a high ability group and they need some help to stay on task.Poor timetabling means they have a mock GCSE with me next Friday afternoon, just as we break for half term. I've promised them doughnuts for the end of that.

In diabetes news, I've upped my basal a little mid morning to try and counter the foot on the floor effect, but not by much as it only happens about half an hour after I wake up, but not reliably. Its the one thing I have to be reactive rather than proactive with. We'll see if I wake up hypo tomorrow!