1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Unfortunately my MIL was a bit sharp with him once as he gets a bit excited and he peed on the floor, since then he's peed a few times when he see's her !!

I would love more dogs but they are like children and require alot of care and love, so will wait till one leaves the nest before the next replacement !

• Like Like x 2
  2. James_Donnelly

James_Donnelly · Well-Known Member

Tough few days. Out of nowhere at 1am on Sunday morning I woke up and was violently ill. First time I have been ill in the 4 and a half years since becoming diabetic. Was up from 1am until 7am vomiting. Threw up around 80 times all in until I started throwing up blood whilst I was on the phone to NHS 24 and they sent an ambulance for me. Couldn' even keep water down for more than a minute and with 6 hours of continuous vomiting this led to me becoming dehydrated and then keytones went up. Spent Sunday from 8am until 8pm on a drip in the hospital having blood pressure etc all monitored throughout the day. Got let home and went to sleep for a couple hours then woke up at 11pm and vomited again but thankfully it was just the one episode this time. Went to bed and slept till the morning however didnt have any basel insulin, and then on Monday I was bed ridden the entire day basically and was just eating small easy things but wasnt taking any bolus throughout the day either.

Anyway I have felt better but not been able to eat normally still since Tuesday pretty much and been back on my insulin but not back on my usual meal plan which has about 150g of carbs a day and similar amount of protein. Instead I've pretty much eaten no protein and all carbs with meals like soup and breakfast cereals and my blood sugars have gone absolutely through the roof.

I usually run around 5-7 but they've jumped to 13-17 and won't come back down. I'm hoping that as I am now today back on my usual lower carb meal plan they'll will come back down again but for 2 or 3 days now they have been sky high. I managed to get it down to 7 before I went to bed last night as I had a massive correction dose of 6 which only brought me down by 6 (usually 1 unit brings me down 2 or 3) but then I woke up this morning and was 13 again. As someone who usually is 5-7 throughout the day and wakes up below 5 most mornings, this is doing my head in.

• Hug Hug x 8
  3. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That looks amazing Helen :)

@James_Donnelly wow, thats pretty rubbish mate. Agree totally with what Helen has said with your basal. Speak to your DSN/diabetes team ASAP. And keep us upto date

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. porl69

That looks amazing Helen :)

@James_Donnelly wow, thats pretty rubbish mate. Agree totally with what Helen has said with your basal. Speak to your DSN/diabetes team ASAP. And keep us upto date

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hope you'll recover soon, @James_Donnelly !

One of my chickens had a BIG surprise for me this morning, poor chicken!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. porl69

Had to "Hug" that one as there isn't a "Bleeding 'eck" emoji lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Anjit I've had one or 2 'goose' chicken eggs in the past and even as a man it brings a tear to my eye, poor hen!

Helen your lunch looked amazing!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Ahh, childbirth..........ouch :inpain:

Is it or do think it's a double yoker ?:hungry:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I expect so, but I wasn't hungry enough for the whole thing just now so not sure yet :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So glad I’m not that chicken!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Note to self: don't be utterly determined the bag where the pen has leaked is going to go in the wash immediately you set foot through the door, along with the glucose monitor bags, a backpack, a dozen very dirty microfibre cloths, and the emergency towels to fill the washing machine.

At least, not until the work-related phone has been taken out of the side pocket. The one with the basal alarms set on it.

More importantly, self, do not do any of this before checking that the impending sense of doom and urgency that the world is about to end (if that which was listed in the first paragraph doesn't get into the machine immediately), is just that and not a 3.5 needed attending to.

Now to work out the alarms on the Other Phone which is charging up rapidly as I type.

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you have as sound advice as how to remember to check this* when below 3.6? Would be very useful.

(* refers to the 'this' in your last paragraph)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Alas, no. I'd tested at 5.3 as I was waiting for the bus which had prevented me walking up the hill home, but had got distracted by the dramas at the bus stop before mine (which I could see and hear all too clearly after about 30 people had got thrown off the bus I thought I was going to get onto,) and then by chatting to an 11-year old I know well on the bus I then got on for most of the way home. (Enthusiastic description of the Post-SATs party planning for tomorrow was vouchsafed to me. I'm surprised I didn't go high on the descriptions of the food!)

I'm a fairly determined task completer at the best of times, and it seems to get magnified if I'm low and getting lower.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah, too bad. We'll just go on stubbornly trying to do tasks we can't do rightly because of low that we think we need to do because of low. At least we have a good excuse for being stubbornly stupid or stupidly stubborn :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Robinredbreast

My daughter can vouch for that :rolleyes::oops:;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Goodnight sleep well everyone

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@WuTwo I hope to retire in just over 3 years as well although it will be 3 years before the state pension so need to work out the finances. I’m going partially retired this September - dropping down from 5 to 3 days and really looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The Libre is a great tool but boy can it only really be used as a rough guide at times, especially as it gets towards the last couple of days. Since about 7pm tonight it has been off the scale and showing LO, which I believe is around BG 2.2 or less. Feel fine and a blood test has me at BG 4.5.

Having said that I had pizza for lunch today and even spaghetti for dinner and my BG have been really good, stayed around BG 5.0 or lower since around 6.30 pm which to be honest is a complete surprise. Especially the pizza, as I have pretty much avoided pizza for years as carbs are so high.

Maybe my pump knows this will be its last time helping me out for a few weeks as I am just about to go back onto MDI for a couple of weeks for my holiday. How do I inject again:angelic::angelic:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
  19. Robinredbreast

5 years for me, so hope it goes quickly, but enjoyable too :)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Robinredbreast

Goodnight everyone, sleep well, it's Friday tomorrow :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook