Diet only
D227E781-AAC8-41E0-A331-A32FB3BB9190.jpeg

A nutritious lunch?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why have you taken a picture of my petite and definitely non-diabetic wife's lunch? She seems to have already eaten the huge slab of cheese and the Branston pickle.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where is this? Judging by the coloured plates and cups, I’m guessing this is being served up to kids! :wideyed::arghh::banghead:
Teddy Bears Picnic. You got it in one. This was a one off day for the kids at school but my daughter’s school lunch is typically similar. It’s scary.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Teddy Bears Picnic. You got it in one. This was a one off day for the kids at school but my daughter’s school lunch is typically similar. It’s scary.
Were you at the school to take the photo, @Listlad ? I am guessing you had something to say to the staff if you were. Rightly so. I most certainly would have.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Were you at the school to take the photo, @Listlad ? I am guessing you had something to say to the staff if you were. Rightly so. I most certainly would have.
No. A lot of school / class photos are taken as a matter of routine and posted in a special site for parents to view. I have of course cropped the picture to remove the kids themselves.

It is of course difficult to tackle stuff like this head on when your own kid is at the school. However I am hoping to bring this up at the local PPG meetings. The number of times my daughter says she has pizza chips and cake for lunch is worrying. As she is 6 it is difficult to work out if what she says is true. On this occasion the school supplied photos. :D

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Wow, that's just terrible... and experts still can't figure out what's causing the rise of diabetes and obesity. I would not be happy if that was my kids lunch, but what can you do to change this?

Reactions: 1spuds

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s awful @Listlad

I work in a school building - not at the school, but the charity I work for is based there. They have posters advertising their healthy breakfast club with pictures of bagels and cereals.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, that's just terrible... and experts still can't figure out what's causing the rise of diabetes and obesity. I would not be happy if that was my kids lunch, but what can you do to change this?

To be honest, I am astounded that the kids are fed that in schools. I just found out they each had a chocolate biscuit for pudding.

For us as a family I think the short term solution is a packed lunch made up by us, containing foods that do not all comprise of carbohydrates. Commencing after the half term holidays. Those bread rolls do contain tuna (can be seen in another shot) but the amount of tuna is particularly small.

Outwith that I am hoping to raise it as an issue at PPG meetings.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s awful @Listlad

I work in a school building - not at the school, but the charity I work for is based there. They have posters advertising their healthy breakfast club with pictures of bagels and cereals.
It must surely be the same up and down the country then.

There is an Eatwell poster up in my daughter’s school but as therower said the food on the plate in the photo isn’t even Eatwell.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
No. A lot of school / class photos are taken as a matter of routine and posted in a special site for parents to view. I have of course cropped the picture to remove the kids themselves.

It is of course difficult to tackle stuff like this head on when your own kid is at the school. However I am hoping to bring this up at the local PPG meetings. The number of times my daughter says she has pizza chips and cake for lunch is worrying. As she is 6 it is difficult to work out if what she says is true. On this occasion the school supplied photos. :D
Actually should be easiest if your child is at the school - easy to contact them and you could stand as a parent governor. Our school sends home the lunch menu and it is accessible on the caterer’s website so parents can see what child is selecting from.

Reactions: Juicyj

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually should be easiest if your child is at the school - easy to contact them and you could stand as a parent governor. Our school sends home the lunch menu and it is accessible on the caterer’s website so parents can see what child is selecting from.
We get the lunch menu too. But it doesn’t match the photo or what the little one says she has.

On confronting the school, I don’t want to create friction that might impact our child in other ways. So my gambit is to go through the local PPG where they are just now highlighting communication with the local community and then also via school nurse etc.

M

Member496333

Goodness gracious. Whatever happened to meat & two veg? Little wonder in this day and age that we are hearing reported cases of children developing insulin resistance.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There’s an organisation that is tackling the breakfast club mentality at schools @Goonergal can you remember them from the conference? And what was the sugar blokes name?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I thought Jamie Oliver had been doing work with schools to improve food choices ?

There's no nutritional value to serving kids this, but unless parents speak out nothing will change.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Listlad was this their actual lunch or a separate “treat” as part of a special event?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Listlad, I would think the easiest and quickest route to solving the food in school issue would be via the school governors. Simply express your concerns to them, or even apply to be a governor yourself. If you wwait until the PPG and Clinical Commissioning Group in your area get on to it your daughter will have already sat her GCSEs.

Reactions: Robbity