Hypo in New Job :(

Gigi K

I started a new job two weeks ago. Declared I had diabetes. So my manager (shes nice) did my risk assessment today. Working in the NHS i need to make sure everyone is safe incase I hypo bad. So anyway soon as I filled it in, got it all through, I had a major hypo... right at the desk fully collapsed face on the table. My senior called for an ambulance but luckily another member of my team knew what to do and helped me come round, cancelled ambulance. Im so embarrassed and emotional about it. I cried in the shower. I feel so sad about it. My third week in, on the day they do my risk assessment and this happens. Feel like I need to make a good example I am still in my probation period for six months :( Xg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Gigi K ,

I don't think any of us have had a job where we haven't gone low at some time or another.
I'm confident you haven't "blotted your copy book" regarding probation with your hypo.

In my experince. & I've worked a long time. Most "HR" don't understand diabetes. But they feel & know they should.
At the very mention they hold their hands up & back away. They just don't know how to deal with it, so? The don't.

It was a bad experience you had, but thankfully you seemed to have some great team support.

Have you lost or losing hypo awarness? Or was it just the over stimulation of the day & hoping to last till a break?

Reactions: Gigi K

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Awefully bad luck, @Gigi K !
The trick is turning that experience, as embarrassing and humilating as it was, into a posituve kearning
opportunity.
If nothing else, it shows you and the assessor that hypos are potentially serious and need to be prevented as much as possible.
My routine for sorting out any hypos i may experience, and you may well have your own method,
or find one that works better for you:
At what time did the hypo happen? And did i know or suspect it was starting or not.?
E.g ? just before lunch,, late afternoon and does that match with a particular timing with how strongly my insulin is working?
I looked up 'pictures of insulin profiles' and found when say, my Novorapid's peak action ( ability to lower bsls most strongly),
was. Did that time in with the assessment? Did the assessment start late and it was need a snack or mealtime?
Eg. Was i distracted with worry and missed the early signs or did i not exoerience the sweating, shaking etc)?
Could i have accidentally injected my insulin into muscle rather than the tissue just a fraction if a centimetre under the skin.?

How did that day start and what were my insulin dose and meals like?
Eg did i take extra insulin to allow for the stress i expected in having the assessment? Was i feeling a bit sick and did not eat all my usual breakie? Did i have to walk a distance to get to my new workplace and had not realised the amount of exercise i had done and if that could affect my BSL?

I then would discuss this with my DSN, to work out a plan od how to prevent this happening again.
We live and learn.
And i always, always have gloco-tabs with me. No matter the iccasion or what i am doing i munch several if i feel low and cannot easily check mupy BSL.
You might need to consider reporting your hypo to the motir car licensing authority too but others who are familiar with the requirements in the UK can let yiu kniw far better than I here downunder.

As a parting comment: even on my insulin pump i would get the occasional hypo.
It has only been since going low carb that my hypos are far less often and much milder.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
OK, that's really unfortunate timing, but it's good both that your manager is nice and that you're working for the NHS. Both of those things should mean that they are sympathetic to your hypos. And it's great that you have people in your team who can help you if you do go hypo. Look at this way, the worst has now happened and you've got support in your office if you need it.

I guess the most important thing is to try to avoid having the hypos in the first place (I know you've commented on lots of hypos in the past). Have you lost hypo awareness? You should be in a good position to ask your consultant for a freestyle libre,

Honestly, as a T1 for 49 years, I still find hypos the worst part of the illness. Luckily I've only had brief periods of hypo unawareness. In your position I'd be pushing my DSN really hard to get extra help to avoid them, as well as attempting to work out why they happen for you.

You might need to consider reporting your hypo to the motir car licensing authority too
I think you're OK if you only have one bad hypo per year.... but I may be out of date.

Good luck with the new job, and try not to let the hypos get you down.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It has only been since going low carb that my hypos are far less often and much milder.

Just curious, how low is low carb for a T1? (I'm on about 90g per day, but wouldn't describe it as particularly low. My dietitian doesn't want me to go lower. :)).

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Big hug @Gigi K it happens..

I had a hypo when on a work contract and it started as I was emailing my boss, I sent the email but put the wrong name at the start of the email which also went to a client and my boss pulled me up for it, I felt the size of a mouse and had to explain my levels had dropped which made me confused, but it also made me feel vulnerable because I'm meticulous on detail. I went home for lunch had a few tears dusted myself down and went back to work.

I have found that when doing intensive work this can drain the brain quickly of glucose so take care to check my levels now, also remember your feeling pretty weak after a hypo so hence why more emotional, however dust yourself down, work will be fine, it will break down barriers in talking about it, but do let it go.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Just curious, how low is low carb for a T1? (I'm on about 90g per day, but wouldn't describe it as particularly low. My dietitian doesn't want me to go lower. :)).
30 g daily on average in carbs, which includes 50% of grams of protein counted as carbs.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans

I had a hypo when on a work contract and it started as I was emailing my boss, I sent the email but put the wrong name at the start of the email which also went to a client and my boss pulled me up for it, I felt the size of a mouse and had to explain my levels had dropped which made me confused, but it also made me feel vulnerable because I'm meticulous on detail. I went home for lunch had a few tears dusted myself down and went back to work.

I have found that when doing intensive work this can drain the brain quickly of glucose so take care to check my levels now, also remember your feeling pretty weak after a hypo so hence why more emotional, however dust yourself down, work will be fine, it will break down barriers in talking about it, but do let it go.
I know how you feel. Any mistake is a blow to one's integrity. I had to be especially careful when consulting as a doctor! As they say," No pressure",

Gigi K

I know how you feel. Any mistake is a blow to one's integrity. I had to be especially careful when consulting as a doctor! As they say," No pressure",

Thank you, i will try and let go of it. I think once iv spoken to them properly about it i will feel better overall X

Gigi K

I think the heat didnt help either but im carrying a bottle of glucojuice in my pocket today, any signs and i will take it straight away rather than trying to get back to the staff room X

Gigi K

Considering the @Gigi K is still new in the job and doing a "risk assessment" I would image that the stress, weather she realises it or not, could have driven her blood sugars down, have been in similar situations in the past and no matter how good your hypo awareness is things like this can catch you out. I'm not going to comment on low carb, it's not relevant in this.

@Gigi K sorry to hear about you situation, the best thing to do is not get upset about it, but learn from it, maybe talk to the person that helped you to see what they saw or observed to see if any lessons can be learnt.

Hope everything works out :)

Thank you I have spoken to the team and they are more aware aswell now, luckily we all work in healthcare so they knew the signs plus i told them i had diabetes. They were great. I feel more positive today X

Gigi K

Awefully bad luck, @Gigi K !
The trick is turning that experience, as embarrassing and humilating as it was, into a posituve kearning
opportunity.
If nothing else, it shows you and the assessor that hypos are potentially serious and need to be prevented as much as possible.
My routine for sorting out any hypos i may experience, and you may well have your own method,
or find one that works better for you:
At what time did the hypo happen? And did i know or suspect it was starting or not.?
E.g ? just before lunch,, late afternoon and does that match with a particular timing with how strongly my insulin is working?
I looked up 'pictures of insulin profiles' and found when say, my Novorapid's peak action ( ability to lower bsls most strongly),
was. Did that time in with the assessment? Did the assessment start late and it was need a snack or mealtime?
Eg. Was i distracted with worry and missed the early signs or did i not exoerience the sweating, shaking etc)?
Could i have accidentally injected my insulin into muscle rather than the tissue just a fraction if a centimetre under the skin.?

How did that day start and what were my insulin dose and meals like?
Eg did i take extra insulin to allow for the stress i expected in having the assessment? Was i feeling a bit sick and did not eat all my usual breakie? Did i have to walk a distance to get to my new workplace and had not realised the amount of exercise i had done and if that could affect my BSL?

I then would discuss this with my DSN, to work out a plan od how to prevent this happening again.
We live and learn.
And i always, always have gloco-tabs with me. No matter the iccasion or what i am doing i munch several if i feel low and cannot easily check mupy BSL.
You might need to consider reporting your hypo to the motir car licensing authority too but others who are familiar with the requirements in the UK can let yiu kniw far better than I here downunder.

As a parting comment: even on my insulin pump i would get the occasional hypo.

I dont have a driving license so that isnt an issue for me at the moment. Yes i will do that, look at the times like you have mentioned, i maybe able to create a pattern X

Gigi K

Hi @Gigi K ,

I don't think any of us have had a job where we haven't gone low at some time or another.
I'm confident you haven't "blotted your copy book" regarding probation with your hypo.

In my experince. & I've worked a long time. Most "HR" don't understand diabetes. But they feel & know they should.
At the very mention they hold their hands up & back away. They just don't know how to deal with it, so? The don't.

It was a bad experience you had, but thankfully you seemed to have some great team support.

Have you lost or losing hypo awarness? Or was it just the over stimulation of the day & hoping to last till a break?

I think it was over stimulation, loads of tasks and not enough hands. I thought i could last untill the end of shift but i was wrong. I will be snacking mid afternoon i think X

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Glad your feeling more positive @Gigi K thats the way to go :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Ellie, the definition of low carb (for any type) on THIS site says around 130 a day. Those that have around 30 are very low carb, practically keto I think. Your 90 carbs IS low carb. x

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi kitedoc, is that your definition or have you read it somewhere?, this site says around 130.
The definition is a bit varied, i take it as anything > zero and less than 120 g carb per day. Very low carb is usually defined as less than 30 to 35 g carb per day, as per Dr Bernstein' s book Diabetes Solution.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ellie, the definition of low carb (for any type) on THIS site says around 130 a day. Those that have around 30 are very low carb, practically keto I think. Your 90 carbs IS low carb. x

I'd agree with you.

I think when we are surrounded by lots of folks who manage their carbs - whether to keep them low, or whether to count them to dosage matching, we are much more aware of what our numbers are. That many T2s, in particular, manage their diabetes, by managing their carb intake, it can further warp our perception of what low/moderate or high card are.

I bet if we took a random sample of 50 people strolling through Tesco/ASDA/Waitrose/Sainsbos on a Thursday afternoon, we'd find quite different average profiles to average profiles here.

Our average profiles are likely to be different even to many on DietDoc, never mind any of the carnivory sites.

However, having written that, I realise we have gone off-topic from the OP's original issue - a hypo at work, in a new job.

My apologies, @Gigi K . I should know better!

Reactions: KK123