Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Reactions: porl69
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning everyone and wishing you all a Happy Saturday.
Awoke on a 7.4, so BG went up by a couple of notches.
Off out this afternoon and then back later this evening, watching footie and a bit of Euro-funny-vision :p

Our UK song forEurovision : Watch out for Icelands Hatari :wideyed:

Last edited:
Reactions: hh1 and karen8967

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning fellow teabags and pumpers.

After my disaster of a day yesterday, I had virtually no carbs yesterday yet still high BG, it settled down. back to MDI for a couple of weeks. From around 7pm last night BG was 6.6 and overnight it varied between BG 6.2 and BG 6.8. so really happy with that.

Had some carbs with brekkie as well as my Bolus so lets see how that goes

Have a great day all

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Phew, taking a break to make sure the top double cupboard dries out thoroughly before putting the stuff back. Of course, as the bottles and pots go back I have to wipe their little bottoms to make sure they're not sticky :playful:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning. I’ll confess to a mild hangover... probably a smaller one than husbeast’s, although he hasn’t surfaced yet to verify. I did find a nearly empty mead bottle on the table! Still, bloods at the lower end of range, which makes me very happy on a non work day. Going to have a go at updating my elderly MacBook to the latest OS so I can start building my loop app. Wish me luck, listen in a westerly direction for some swearing.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Good luck there @Mel dCP ..... tiptoes in other direction to wait it out ......

Cupboard is all back together, found unopened (in date) things to go to food bank (including large pot of Lindt chocolate hazelnut spread which, tragically, has milk in it). Still, some kids somewhere are going to be chuffed to bits with it which makes me smile a lot.

Reactions: hh1

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Phew, taking a break to make sure the top double cupboard dries out thoroughly before putting the stuff back. Of course, as the bottles and pots go back I have to wipe their little bottoms to make sure they're not sticky :playful:
Bet you found things that you never knew you had because they seemed a good idea about 10 years ago but you never used.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Bet you found things that you never knew you had because they seemed a good idea about 10 years ago but you never used.

We most certainly did! Some things lurking at the very back were embarrassingly out of date :rolleyes: However, we have a clean, shiny well ordered cupboard now!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Happy Saturday afternoon all. Had to go to the bank this morning as I clean forgot the pin for a rarely pin-used card that’s usually swiped or internetted - duh! It’s an essential part of the part-time job, and no, not dementia, just hadn’t used the pin for about a year.
Older daughter dropped in for lunch and told us about her new-love book, forensic anthropology. We were all able to eat while she talked, so a bit worried now about family’s ghoulish tendencies.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, all, a few snippets from today's T1D Rise of the Machines Scotland event, which was about looping.

As someone who really likes a long-lie in at the weekends, it was a bit of a surprise to find that things like 8:00am and 9:00am actually existed on Saturdays. I thought they were just during the week.

Staff on the Libre stall were vague about it as it was above their paygrade but the indications were that libre version 2 is not going to be launched in the UK any time soon, perhaps as much as a year away, so anyone putting off getting MiaoMiao preferring to wait for v2 alerts will probably be in for a long wait.

The docs there all said that clinicians see closed loop as the future but were honest enough to say that the loop pioneers know way more about it than they do and one had actually arranged for a looper to give educational sessions to HCPs about it.

One said that when it comes to reviewing their area's policy on which pumps to provide, they're going to be factoring into the equation a pump's capacity for playing with open source looping.

One said that although this stuff is do-able, it takes motivation, and the pumps need to be more plug-and-play.

One slide showed that although NICE was really talking the talk about pump availability 10 yrs ago, actual provision in E&W is only about 5% and 11% in Scotland.

Dana Lewis, who is like the pioneer of looping, has a new book out, Automated Insulin Delivery, which looks like it will be the go to first read for anyone interested in exploring this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automated-...very&qid=1558193930&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

She explained her motivation behind it all: she went through spells of being terrified of going to sleep. I think most of us have probably had that after a bad night hypo.

She and others made it clear that the open source community are actively talking to pump makers and some of their code is in pumps now.

No surprise really - they reckon that collectively there is over 11 million hours of experience of loop, compared to the 100,000 hrs or so which medical devices usually go through for certification.

Had a sketch at the Kaleido stall. It's a new entrant to the patch-pump market, well, sort of - patch with a very short tube and cannula patch beside it. Very small, about the same size as an omnipod but thinner. The difference is you don't chuck the whole thing, just the tiny reservoir and set. Quite a neat little gizmo, but because it's so new, no telling when it will be available.

Oh, and there were a few boxes of what were Glucotabs but have now been rebranded as "Lift", so if you're in Boots restocking, watch out for the name change. Snagged a few of those - they still taste like chalk.

In other news - was in the office yesterday, my boss offered me a slice of a Mr Kipling cake (not in a bad, you're diabetic, can you eat this way, he's a decent bloke), had a glance at my cgm, decided it wasn't the right time for it, so I said, hmm, let me see if I can guess the carb count. So, eyed it up a bit, compared it to a 40g tesco cheesecake and a 10g kinder bueno, reckoned it was about 20g, but called it at 22 to make it sound as if accuracy matters. So he looks at the box and says, close, it's 31. I said, ***, that's never 31, give me the box. And label says the 31 was the total weight, and the carb turned out to be...wait for it...21.6! I really couldn't resist doing some showboating - putting that on my T1 CV - who needs scales or labels, eyeballed it to only 0.4g out! And the boss was sitting there saying how the f did you do that? We've got to make our own entertainment with T1!

Reactions: Marie 2

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello. Think this is my first post on this thread.

Is there any discussion anywhere on diabetic consumables and sustainability? Every time I change a pump site, I think, so much plastic, so little recyclable... Do any of the manufacturers even have a statement or position on this? I suppose I should be Googling to check :)

Reactions: hh1

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, all, a few snippets from today's T1D Rise of the Machines Scotland event, which was about looping.

As someone who really likes a long-lie in at the weekends, it was a bit of a surprise to find that things like 8:00am and 9:00am actually existed on Saturdays. I thought they were just during the week.

Staff on the Libre stall were vague about it as it was above their paygrade but the indications were that libre version 2 is not going to be launched in the UK any time soon, perhaps as much as a year away, so anyone putting off getting MiaoMiao preferring to wait for v2 alerts will probably be in for a long wait.

The docs there all said that clinicians see closed loop as the future but were honest enough to say that the loop pioneers know way more about it than they do and one had actually arranged for a looper to give educational sessions to HCPs about it.

One said that when it comes to reviewing their area's policy on which pumps to provide, they're going to be factoring into the equation a pump's capacity for playing with open source looping.

One said that although this stuff is do-able, it takes motivation, and the pumps need to be more plug-and-play.

One slide showed that although NICE was really talking the talk about pump availability 10 yrs ago, actual provision in E&W is only about 5% and 11% in Scotland.

Dana Lewis, who is like the pioneer of looping, has a new book out, Automated Insulin Delivery, which looks like it will be the go to first read for anyone interested in exploring this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automated-...very&qid=1558193930&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

She explained her motivation behind it all: she went through spells of being terrified of going to sleep. I think most of us have probably had that after a bad night hypo.

She and others made it clear that the open source community are actively talking to pump makers and some of their code is in pumps now.

No surprise really - they reckon that collectively there is over 11 million hours of experience of loop, compared to the 100,000 hrs or so which medical devices usually go through for certification.

Had a sketch at the Kaleido stall. It's a new entrant to the patch-pump market, well, sort of - patch with a very short tube and cannula patch beside it. Very small, about the same size as an omnipod but thinner. The difference is you don't chuck the whole thing, just the tiny reservoir and set. Quite a neat little gizmo, but because it's so new, no telling when it will be available.

Oh, and there were a few boxes of what were Glucotabs but have now been rebranded as "Lift", so if you're in Boots restocking, watch out for the name change. Snagged a few of those - they still taste like chalk.

In other news - was in the office yesterday, my boss offered me a slice of a Mr Kipling cake (not in a bad, you're diabetic, can you eat this way, he's a decent bloke), had a glance at my cgm, decided it wasn't the right time for it, so I said, hmm, let me see if I can guess the carb count. So, eyed it up a bit, compared it to a 40g tesco cheesecake and a 10g kinder bueno, reckoned it was about 20g, but called it at 22 to make it sound as if accuracy matters. So he looks at the box and says, close, it's 31. I said, ***, that's never 31, give me the box. And label says the 31 was the total weight, and the carb turned out to be...wait for it...21.6! I really couldn't resist doing some showboating - putting that on my T1 CV - who needs scales or labels, eyeballed it to only 0.4g out! And the boss was sitting there saying how the f did you do that? We've got to make our own entertainment with T1!

This just came up on my Facebook feed :D

C0DBA1BD-2319-4266-AE2C-9C105DAFA915.jpeg

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know what you mean and confess to pulling all my pump consumables apart and separating the plastic out to put in the recycling. I find the film on the hygienically sealed parts frustrating and unnecessary as no one buys cartridges because they look nice, for example. But I always recycled the paper backing.
I also consider how much stuff has to be put in the sharps container. If it fills fast with cannula inserter and the like, that's extra journeys to collect it and deliver the next one. Another reason to strip the parts and only put the sharps bit in the sharps container.

Yep, everything is very over-packaged. I worry if it's going to be difficult to find pumps etc once plastic becomes more expensive.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This just came up on my Facebook feed :D

View attachment 32985

Lol, Mel, the organiser at the Scottish end, LinnBee, sent out a few tweets in the run up saying switch off unneccesary bluetooth, it was repeated at the start of the event, but even so...

I only witnessed one person rushing past me saying, "****, my loop's down."

In a Q&A session, there was a question about whether newer iterations would move to more reliable frequencies than bluetooth. To which the answers were, erm, don't know, but what they meant was, like what, satellite dishes on our heads or 1980s style mobile phones?

If I hadn't had to get up so darned early and didn't have a hangover, I would have been tempted to do a bt scan in xdrip and see how many others were running mm.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that the day, devoted to really high tech T1 stuff, started with the technology meant to display powerpoint presentations on a huge screen behind the presenters didn't, erm, work, so they had to wing it a bit for the first two hrs! But T1s always find a solution so it went swimmingly after thatm

By the by, the biggest round of applause of the day was for a young lad, Ross Beard, who did his own T1 version of Woo Hoo, vid here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/3dland_MC/status/1129786301694304259

https://mobile.twitter.com/LinnBee

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yep, everything is very over-packaged. I worry if it's going to be difficult to find pumps etc once plastic becomes more expensive.

It depends what kind of plastic’s used as some is more easily recycled than others. The worst are those that use layers of different kinds and non-plastic materials, e.g. walkers crisp packets. Ideally there’s be no plastic at all but a biodegradable starch-based material that’d begin to break down after the use-by date of the packaged object and could then be composted.

Reactions: WuTwo and Notorious