1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well the girls won, the mother’s played dirty.......2 penalties awarded to the girls.........1 of which wasn’t because Mrs Slip handed the ball away from the goal;).................:facepalm: would have been a good save had she been the goalkeeper! End of season awards also done and Miss Slip got the most improved player trophy :happy:

@SueJB good luck with the cider, I don’t drink it often but when I do I know I’m going to be high afterwards, just don’t over correct.

@Capt-Slog shopping with the wife always sends me low for some reason

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

you too xx

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@smc4761 I'm still on MDI and pumps are a bit of a mystery to me. Just wondering whether you have breakfast before your stroll, and if so, i assume you bolus for it? When I walk in the morning, if it's within an hour and a half, I reduce my bolus because that's when my insulin is working hardest, so bg comes down much faster with exercise. If I walk more than an hour and a half or so after bolusing, I stick to what I consider my normal ratio. This may be obvious to others; it wasn't to me until I went on a training course for T1s all about managing exercise and T1 (this was a pilot and depending on the results may be made available more widely). It may not be the answer; just thought I'd mention it in case...

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Hope everyone is having a good weekend..... D275DC2C-8BF7-428A-970C-BB208782CD4A.jpeg .....latest sewing project completed....now to decide what to do next...:)....sunshine and showers here with hail storm earlier so not really gardening weather....perhaps tomorrow...

• Like Like x 4
  5. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Molly56 - yep, weekend going so far. Car boot full of latest stuff to go to the charity shop, which leaves me clear to start filling boxes with more! I will get this house empty of all the stuff we neither need nor want sooner or later but what appalls me is how much sheer stuff we have accumulated. I've lived in this house since 1986 and really - I think I have ten boxes of gubbins for every year..

Mind you, I can see the wood for the trees now!

What was your project?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, he was a bit of a numpty but I still find it rough to use his stupid question as click-bait.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It wasn't obvious to me either till I went on a DAFNE course about 3 yrs ago and then got libre.

Learning about the time pattern of insulin action, and being able to track iob and where it is in its path are the things which have helped me the most over the last few years, along with prebolusing.

I think a lot of newly dx'd get chucked out into the wild without learning about how insulin peaks and then declines over time. And for the oldies, docs maybe just assume we know this stuff. I don't recall being taught this 30 yrs ago, didn't really know about it till DAFNE, but it's made such a huge difference since finding out about it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Molly56

@WuTwo ....posted picture in my post....looks a bit of a fat cat must have been well fed....I have one cat with very similar markings called Molly:cat: but she is a tiny cat who hasn’t really grown from being a kitten unlike her brother Buster who is twice her size..
    ...can sympathise with you on the accumulated stuff....I too need a good clear out....

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. WuTwo

That's lovely - cross stitch or needlepoint? I'm doing Lesley Teare's Sunbonnet Sue series at the moment - that's the one I do in between projects while I choose out of the pattern stash.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Molly56

Cross stitch....from pattern book ‘Cats of the World’ which Mum picked up from charity shop for me a few years back....also done black panther
    B5F69090-B1CD-478C-BEF4-04AFE074DFB2.jpeg
    ....and have various tiger pictures too...including this one...
    05652242-6F29-467D-812C-E330C8A2608E.jpeg

Not sure what to do next but got cross stitch magazine in charity shop the other day for 25p with some great Christmas designs with some beautiful angels (set of 4)....could keep me busy for some time....:)
    I also have a stash to choose from .....decisions, decisions....

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @hh1 yes i have brekkie before I go out and bolus accordingly making a slight adjustment down. This morning was weetabix and hot milk. I had also reduced my basal down to 20% about 15 minutes before I started walking. When I say walk, it really is a very gentle stroll stopping frequently to take photos admire the views etc so not in the slightest strenuous.

When I was on MDI I did the same walk with no issues at all. Its only really been the past 4 weeks, although I am probably running my BG much tighter. Just need to make a few more adjustments till I get it right

• Hug Hug x 4
  12. WuTwo

I love the Christmas designs - I did a series of Christmas deccies for the tree in January/Feb and have put them away carefully, and I'm looking forward to when it's time to start the Christmas cards. I love doing them. I usually photocopy the patterns in the mags, and then pop the mags down to my local charity shop - best of both worlds.

I have a design for a scrummy advent calendar which I am looking forward to but there are no children in the family until my son and his partner decide to add to our number, and my husband isn't remotely Christmassy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sounds like the perfect evening.:):):)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lol, Sue, enjoy it!

You'll probably have heard of the dreaded "pizza effect". After a few beers, it's the one time it's really useful - a bit of cheese on toast is more or less a small pizza: the fat from the cheese slows down the toast carb absorption, so you'll get a nice slow glucose feed to counter the slow basal drop.

I tend to go overboard with it - some ketchup below the cheese and chopped shallots, capers and Italian mixed herbs on top!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Having a lovely hot bath and catching up with all your news! We rattled our way to £365.80, so we’re thrilled and a bit knackered now. Also, Happy Star Wars Day, I’ve got my Darth Vader pjs on standby :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
  16. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Wooowee lots of ciders and lovely hand raised....not hand reared pork pies. I indulged a little............ no fib.... I drank a lot IMG_2362.JPG and it was brill, Rioja cask, whiskey cask ciders and some others BUT a walk along the Thames and decent bolus did the biz more or less. Had a little blip of 10ish but now 7.9and happy to see it go down.
    So so happy to have just done normal stuff and not bothered about having diabetes and it was all great..
    Thanks @Scott-C for the wise words, it worked

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Jazz97

Jazz97 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well I finally managed to get into single figures.... and then had a take away...
    Why am I like this?

• Hug Hug x 4
  18. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Had an interesting pod change just now... first time ever, I had a real bleeder as I took the old one off, had to phone down to the husband to bring me up some toilet paper - it was on my tummy so I didn’t want to get blood all over the bed (I was sat in bed doing it). I guess that would explain why the insulin was working so fast over the last three days, it was going straight into a blood vessel! Onset of action was very quick, and it was wearing off faster too, and I was having more lows than I usually do. So that’s a bit more learning curve...

• Hug Hug x 4
  19. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Another lovely cross stitch Molly, well done :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I was promoting McCoys Muchos today and managed to get in a 'May the 4th be with you' lol I do like a bit of Star Wars, but the older ones
    Well done on the rattling, that's a great amount :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook