Type 2 How does anemia affect A1C results?

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my fasting glucose does not correlate well with A1C. My endocrinologist said there could be a number of reasons. One was anemia so she ordered a CBC along with my last lab order. I have the results but I don’t see her for awhile.

I only converted glucose from US units. Let me know if I need to do more.

Fasting glucose. 135 mg/dL or 7,5 mmol /L
A1C 5.5%
Hematocrit 34% barely low
Hgb 11.7 g/dL bottom of range

Rest of results were normal

Is that a level that would effect the A1C?

I take metformin.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Some studies say iron deficiency anemia can affect a HbA1c by raising it.
You could test yourself with a blood measuring kit to see what your blood sugars are then use an app to find out the average.
Hope you feel better very soon.
Take care

Reactions: KookieMunchster

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel fine. Thank you. My A1C has been running great even though my fasting glucose has been high. I was wondering if the result is real. I may have to wait until I see my dr

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Dr Google suggests that hba1c is artificially raised in people who have anaemia, so something weird is going on there. Fasting glucose is a notoriously unreliable reading, as it can be elevated due to the dawn phenomena. (Your liver pumps out sugar in the morning to help you get going: if you're carb intolerant that can lift your blood sugar even without food.) I'm guessing that your endocrinologist can think of other reasons too.

Do you do blood tests? Honestly, I'd be more inclined to believe those than the hba1c, but you need to do them at different times of day to get a true picture of what is happening. Ideally, a continuous glucose monitor might give a better picture.

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I misunderstood her. Yes, she mentioned about the dawn phenomenon, didn’t explain it as well as you. Random readings during the day are better than my fasting but I rarely test except in the morning. I have never had a low blood sugar result. You think the home glucose readings are more reliable than a1c?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I misunderstood her. Yes, she mentioned about the dawn phenomenon, didn’t explain it as well as you. Random readings during the day are better than my fasting but I rarely test except in the morning. I have never had a low blood sugar result. You think the home glucose readings are more reliable than a1c?

Lorib - my Aics never corrolate to my fingerprick tests, or to any Libre sensor I have used. In both cases, my A1c should be lower than the lab test returns.

My lab tests are absolutely fine, and well into the "normal", non-diabetic ranges, so I din't haver too many concerns. It's just an irritation.

I now tend to view the two sets of data independently. I used the fingerprick/Libre data to assess improving or worsening trends, day to day, and the A1c as a snapshot, summary of recent times.

Reactions: lorib64

kre8tiv1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who deliberately take up 2 parking spots
I am anemic and my A1c is very high compared to my FBS. My Endochronologist indicated that it was probably due to my anemia.
My morning numbers aren’t great, but I have not yet started testing in the evening. I think I’m going to start after reading about the dawn phenomenon

Reactions: lorib64